Front brake non-abs layout?

gog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On my ‘95 R1100GS the abs had been bypassed before it came to me.

I have just received a set of new braided hoses for a non abs bike but they are not the same as what was on it now. Currently i have one long line that runs from handlebar MC to a splitter under the hump on the front mudguard (sits in front of the fork brace) and then a short pipe from there to each of the two calipers.

Is this different from how a non abs bike would normally be routed? Where is the splitter normally if not there?

On new pipes the pipes each caliper are too long and the pipe from MC too short, suggesting the split should normally be somewhere closer to the MC, not at the mudguard.

Anyone shed some light? Much appreciated.

Abs and non abs brake lines went to a junction attached to the frame near where the electrical cables are cable tied, so you have one brake line from the M/C to the junction. Then another brake line from that junction to the mudguard splitter, then the two short lines from the splitter to each caliper.

Abs and non abs brake lines went to a junction attached to the frame near where the electrical cables are cable tied, so you have one brake line from the M/C to the junction. Then another brake line from that junction to the mudguard splitter, then the two short lines from the splitter to each caliper.

Would the R850R have the same layout?
(asking for a friend - he's shy. ;) )
:D

thanks neil. however the ‘kit’ i got had just 4 pipes and was sold as for front and rear. the way you describe needs 4 lines just for the front so what i have won’t work anyway. also there are no 2 lines short enough to run from the mudguard splitter to the caliper without some huge loop - way too long. ill give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. looked in clymer but that’s not overly clear. may have to take the old ones off, measure them, and see if the company (HEL hoses from biketorqueracing) can send me like for like replacements.

I called them and they had sent me a kit for a '98 onwards non ABS R1100GS. The spec for my '95 is completely different, so they are replacing with the correct lines. My bike uses a 3 front pipe layout for non ABS, no splitter on the frame, so the top line is much longer and the caliper pipes shorter.

Now we know :D

I called them and they had sent me a kit for a '98 onwards non ABS R1100GS. The spec for my '95 is completely different, so they are replacing with the correct lines. My bike uses a 3 front pipe layout for non ABS, no splitter on the frame, so the top line is much longer and the caliper pipes shorter.

Now we know :D

HEL stopped supplying BMW brake lines unless you sent the old ones to them to match. There's so many variations and model year doesn't seem to make much difference to the randomness .. :D

Im not surprised. The supplier im using makes them up in house getting the run lengths from data sheets, using the fixings and pipes supplied to them by HEL. Dont know if thats the same for most places selling HEL branded kits now.

Back
Top Bottom