VGA Connection Laptop to HD Monitor

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've bought an Acer 27" Full HD monitor for my Dad as he's struggling to see things these days.

It's connected to a Compaq CP56 laptop via VGA as the laptop doesn't have an HDMI socket.

The clarity and sharpness of text (he uses it for email) isn't what I expected - not very black and not very sharp.

Is that because it's not connected via HDMI?

Any other thoughts please - it's quite an old laptop?

Thankfully that should be svga, but we get the idea.

All monitors benefit from being set to the their native resolution, so have a play with that. Right click on the desktop, see if the graphics card will support 1920x1080 (if that is you monitors native resolution. The computer is obviously old, and was budget at the time, but you could assign extra memory to the graphics card, if overall memory is low ie 2Gb then there will not be much to spare.

Once you have a good choice of resolution, you can try using the monitor menu to tweak colour, brightness, contrast etc.

Thanks, so if we upgrade to a newer laptop with HDMI connectivity as well as improved memory etc, the HD monitor will perform better?

Typically, does HDMI connectivity perform better than SVGA?

I've bought an Acer 27" Full HD monitor for my Dad as he's struggling to see things these days.

It's connected to a Compaq CP56 laptop via VGA as the laptop doesn't have an HDMI socket.

The clarity and sharpness of text (he uses it for email) isn't what I expected - not very black and not very sharp.

Is that because it's not connected via HDMI?

Any other thoughts please - it's quite an old laptop?

You are right, VGA is the connector type. SVGA was a specific resolution (800x600) that came after VGA (640x480). All very confusing.

The problem is VGA only provides one way communication so the monitor cannot tell the computer what resolution it supports etc. Bit of a moot point as VGA will not be able to handle the full HD resolution (1920x1080) of the new monitor.

If you can get a new laptop. It doesn't have to be high spec to support the monitor, just the required HDMI port. The other point is Windows 10 has very good font scaling which makes everything bigger and easier to read, don't run the monitor at a lower resolution as it will look blurey. This in conjunction with the larger screen will make a lot of difference to your dad.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom