In the market for one....

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys, wife has passed her test (woohoo!) and she is now looking at buying 9T Scrambler low suspension (new) or a used 9t Pure low suspension. I sm aware that we are closing in soon onto a new ‘18 reg and are wondering if some of you can recommend a way to secure s good deal.

The Scrambler is in the country unregistered and is lowered from factory, has heated grips and ASC, cast wheels.

The Pure is in the showroom on ‘17 plate and is lowered from factory, has cross spoke wheels, alarm, ASC and heated grips.

Any advice is much appreciated.

PS. We will be looking at the R1200R too just out of curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know they made a Scrambler or Pure with low suspension :confused:

They do, she rode low sus pure this morning.
However these are the only two in the 9T range that are available in low suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using
c1a7ebf4481dec2215eac625352bb1aa.jpg
9a2aff3893d60f6bb3dbec6377dadb13.jpg
Tapatalk

That’s a lot of wedge to spend on a brand new bike for someone that’s just passed her test!

That’s a lot of wedge to spend on a brand new bike for someone that’s just passed her test!

The trouble is, that as you know (if you remember) she is only 5’2” and has a 27.5” inseam. Consequently, without having to join in with the “Wild Hog” crew there is very little on the market for vertically challenged people. Two years ago i bought a £12k GS after passing my test and I did not have any shortage of cheaper used bikes. There are a few used F700GS bikes available but they are all in the north if the country. Closest one is 3.5 hours drive away.

The trouble is, that as you know (if you remember) she is only 5’2” and has a 27.5” inseam. Consequently, without having to join in with the “Wild Hog” crew there is very little on the market for vertically challenged people. Two years ago i bought a £12k GS after passing my test and I did not have any shortage of cheaper used bikes. There are a few used F700GS bikes available but they are all in the north if the country. Closest one is 3.5 hours drive away.

Why not get something a bit older or cheaper for her to get some experience on?

Why not get something a bit older or cheaper for her to get some experience on?

As I said, there is very little out there that caters for short people. Regardless of age or make....

Fuck me-a lowered 9T !

It’s already the smallest bike ever made !

Is att your father-in-law ?

Erm..... no! But yes lowered one will have to be. Personally, I would have been happier if she could get an F800GT but apparat from extra low (no padding) seat there is no way of getting it even lower. Despite all efforts, no dealer has an extra low seat in stock to try the bike with. Consequently that does remain to be an unknown quantity. There are a quite a few R1200R bikes about in the used bmw stock but those are north of £9k, which makes new 9T look like a bargain.

While on the subject of R1200R. Did BMW make any of the older oil cooled ones with lowered suspension?

It is a lovely bike and she is very lucky!
But I am not sure I would want one as a new rider. It is a bit heavy and very easy to drop if you are short and inexperienced. And the pegs are in just the wrong place for a short rider.
Make sure the cylinder heads are protected!

Has she considered a Ducati Scrambler?
Or a Triumph Tiger 800 low or a lowered 700 GS?

It is a lovely bike and she is very lucky!
But I am not sure I would want one as a new rider. It is a bit heavy and very easy to drop if you are short and inexperienced. And the pegs are in just the wrong place for a short rider.
Make sure the cylinder heads are protected!

Has she considered a Ducati Scrambler?
Or a Triumph Tiger 800 low or a lowered 700 GS?

Thank you for your input.
We looked at Ducati scrambler including monster (advertised as ideal bike for first time riders and those who are short. Forget it, she couldn’t even bring it upright from the side stand. Mind you, dealer was less than helpful.

We did go to look at triumph boneville range but apart from bobber and forthcoming speedmaster nothing else worked. However we did ignore lowered tiger 800 as it did not even cross my mind to check it.

F700 low suspension and low seat version probably the ideal bike, but there are no used ones near by and no dealer near by has a new bike in stock.

Thank you for your input.
We looked at Ducati scrambler including monster (advertised as ideal bike for first time riders and those who are short. Forget it, she couldn’t even bring it upright from the side stand. Mind you, dealer was less than helpful.

We did go to look at triumph boneville range but apart from bobber and forthcoming speedmaster nothing else worked. However we did ignore lowered tiger 800 as it did not even cross my mind to check it.

F700 low suspension and low seat version probably the ideal bike, but there are no used ones near by and no dealer near by has a new bike in stock.

That is such a shame.
The lowered 700 would be ideal. It is a great, confidence-inspiring bike!
Much easier to ride than any of the others, but it can also “grow with you”.
I am 5’4” and have been riding 13 years, have ROSPA gold and am a bike instructor. I bought an R Nine T this year and I love it, but I know I would have struggled with the weight when I had just passed my test. ( I had a Monster, which I loved, for the first couple of years and dropped it quite a few times).
My friend has the Tiger 800 low. She is the same height as your wife and passed her test last year.
She loves it ( rides with panniers so when she drops it it doesn’t damage :thumb).

That is such a shame.
The lowered 700 would be ideal. It is a great, confidence-inspiring bike!
Much easier to ride than any of the others, but it can also “grow with you”.
I am 5’4” and have been riding 13 years, have ROSPA gold and am a bike instructor. I bought an R Nine T this year and I love it, but I know I would have struggled with the weight when I had just passed my test. ( I had a Monster, which I loved, for the first couple of years and dropped it quite a few times).
My friend has the Tiger 800 low. She is the same height as your wife and passed her test last year.
She loves it ( rides with panniers so when she drops it it doesn’t damage :thumb).

Will look into Tiger too then.

Congrats for her passing Ev, what bike did she pass her test on?

Congrats for her passing Ev, what bike did she pass her test on?

Thank you Wiley, I will pass a message on to her. I hope you are well?

We both done our tests with same riding school and both done it on same bikes. Kwak ER6N. Despite being there about right size (aftermarket lowering kit) and most of the foam taken out of the seat, it was a hard work as foot pegs are just in the wrong place to put your foot/feet down without having to do splits (metaphorically speaking). She did not like the vibrations it produced either. So consequently she hated it as much as I did and is glad to see the back of it.

I am tempted to get her to try an F700GS with extra low seat and if that is ok, we can alway get a factory low frame version with a standard more comfy seat. In an ideal world F800GT probably just the right bike for her, but I fear it might still be to tall even with extra low seat, it appear to be that BMW did not produce F800GT in low suspension set up but have done so with F650/700GS

I'll tip Dean off that you want a low 700 ;):D

I'll tip Dean off that you want a low 700 ;):D

we are going this Saturday to check out this lowered RnineT scrambler, so will have a chat about GT and GS at same time. Trouble is that F700 range has now been discontinued.

I know you don't like the H-D idea but an older Sportster Hugger was pretty low I'm sure and not too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom