Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen Ignition lock... Maybe

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Frozen Ignition lock... Maybe

I could not turn the key in the ignition this morning.
    I assumed this was possibly due to ice in the lock as the key would not fully insert at first.
    After 5/10 mins fiddling and trying to warm the key with a ciggi lighter I gave up and headed for the train.
    Has anybody else had the issue?
    Could it be something other than ice?
    Any suggestions as to possible cures... I have a mini gas soldering iron I will try warming the ignition barrel and key with this evening.
    "Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." —Norman Schwartzkopf

Would it be churlish to ask if you were using the correct key ?
    If you think about it, you're probably better off staying at home and looking at most places on Google Earth.

Is it stored outside and have you had issues before?
    EDIT
    Did you try the key both ways round?
    Caution : May stop suddenly

The only key I have, tried both ways.
    Yes, it's stored outside and no, not had any previous issues.
    It's been fecking cold the last couple of mornings.
    "Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." —Norman Schwartzkopf

Just to add a few pertinent details.
    The bike is stored outside but used everyday.
    Recently the morning temps have been between +1.0 - -2.0 (-1.0 this morning).
    I have had no issues so far this winter other than the Lithium Ion battery, but this problem is not battery related.

Heating it "prudently" with a hair dryer on the lower setting and moving the nozzle about (so there is not a singular intense heat spot) would be better than a mini blowtorch ( there are a lot of plastic components in that area

Also Get your self a tin of Fuchs Silkolene SilkOpen its a heavily Graphited aerosol and unlike that schite WD40 keeps a high level of lubrication for much much much much longer

Flood the lock and work the key and all should be well
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

Did you try again tonight?

Mine is garage stored so the ignition lock has behaved itself. The Lithium battery does lithium stuff when it's cold but engine always starts.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Quote Originally Posted by Andi_archer View Post
    Did you try again tonight?
    I did have another go at it.
    Have now decided that the issue is not ice but a foreign body... Namely the sprung cover that sits across the slot.
    I will now have to see about removing the barrel as this will be easier to turn upside down and shake than the bike.
    Any advice or tips for removing the ignition barrel greatly received.

Try lubricating the lock with a thin Oil but it sounds like ones of the components inside the lock has caused the problem and you may need to change the ignition lock with all that entails

Quote Originally Posted by Blowzorn View Post
    Have now decided that the issue is not ice but a foreign body... Namely the sprung cover that sits across the slot.
    I will now have to see about removing the barrel as this will be easier to turn upside down and shake than the bike.
    Try with a vacuum hose over the slot on full power and hoke about with a thin pick or cocktail stick

Got to be worth a try
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Blowzorn View Post
    All I can say is by the time you've stripped off stuff to access the lock it's easier to remove the top yoke from the forks.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Quote Originally Posted by Bendy toy View Post
    All I can say is by the time you've stripped off stuff to access the lock it's easier to remove the top yoke from the forks.
    I managed to have a quick go at it over the weekend between the snow and rain. All I had that would fit in the lock was a couple of wooden skewers... No joy, no surprise!
    Will have to wait till I'm back in the UK to get some more suitable tools.
    How will removing the top yoke help, won't I need to remove things like the ring antenna first?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

IIRC the lock is bolted to the underside of the top yoke. But access to the front is pretty awful with screen and instruments in the way.
    Then, shear bolts have to be drilled and moved with a screw extractor.
    It was just easier to take the yoke off. I found the steering bearing was lumpy so changed that and greased the fork top ball joints at the same time.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Mine lives in a garage and worked perfectly for thousands of mile and then just seized one day when I came to use it. I put the GT85 straw into the lock and as I sprayed it pumped out dirty black crap. I just worked and repeated a few times until it was free and them lubed with some graphite type spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Miserable Git View Post
    Mine lives in a garage and worked perfectly for thousands of mile and then just seized one day when I came to use it. I put the GT85 straw into the lock and as I sprayed it pumped out dirty black crap. I just worked and repeated a few times until it was free and them lubed with some graphite type spray.
    The main problem I have is the steering lock is on. So I can't even push the bike undercover to work on it.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast