Frozen Ignition lock... Maybe

Blowzorn

Reaction score
I could not turn the key in the ignition this morning.
I assumed this was possibly due to ice in the lock as the key would not fully insert at first.
After 5/10 mins fiddling and trying to warm the key with a ciggi lighter I gave up and headed for the train.
Has anybody else had the issue?
Could it be something other than ice?
Any suggestions as to possible cures... I have a mini gas soldering iron I will try warming the ignition barrel and key with this evening.

Would it be churlish to ask if you were using the correct key ? :augie

Is it stored outside and have you had issues before?
EDIT
Did you try the key both ways round?

The only key I have, tried both ways.
Yes, it's stored outside and no, not had any previous issues.
It's been fecking cold the last couple of mornings.

Just to add a few pertinent details.
The bike is stored outside but used everyday.
Recently the morning temps have been between +1.0 - -2.0 (-1.0 this morning).
I have had no issues so far this winter other than the Lithium Ion battery, but this problem is not battery related.

Heating it "prudently" with a hair dryer on the lower setting and moving the nozzle about (so there is not a singular intense heat spot) would be better than a mini blowtorch ( there are a lot of plastic components in that area

Also Get your self a tin of Fuchs Silkolene SilkOpen its a heavily Graphited aerosol and unlike that schite WD40 keeps a high level of lubrication for much much much much longer

Flood the lock and work the key and all should be well

Mine is garage stored so the ignition lock has behaved itself. The Lithium battery does lithium stuff when it's cold but engine always starts.

Did you try again tonight?

I did have another go at it.
Have now decided that the issue is not ice but a foreign body... Namely the sprung cover that sits across the slot.
I will now have to see about removing the barrel as this will be easier to turn upside down and shake than the bike.
Any advice or tips for removing the ignition barrel greatly received.

Try lubricating the lock with a thin Oil but it sounds like ones of the components inside the lock has caused the problem and you may need to change the ignition lock with all that entails

Have now decided that the issue is not ice but a foreign body... Namely the sprung cover that sits across the slot.
I will now have to see about removing the barrel as this will be easier to turn upside down and shake than the bike.

Try with a vacuum hose over the slot on full power and hoke about with a thin pick or cocktail stick

Got to be worth a try

All I can say is by the time you've stripped off stuff to access the lock it's easier to remove the top yoke from the forks.

All I can say is by the time you've stripped off stuff to access the lock it's easier to remove the top yoke from the forks.
I managed to have a quick go at it over the weekend between the snow and rain. All I had that would fit in the lock was a couple of wooden skewers... No joy, no surprise!
Will have to wait till I'm back in the UK to get some more suitable tools.
How will removing the top yoke help, won't I need to remove things like the ring antenna first?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

IIRC the lock is bolted to the underside of the top yoke. But access to the front is pretty awful with screen and instruments in the way.
Then, shear bolts have to be drilled and moved with a screw extractor.
It was just easier to take the yoke off. I found the steering bearing was lumpy so changed that and greased the fork top ball joints at the same time.

Mine lives in a garage and worked perfectly for thousands of mile and then just seized one day when I came to use it. I put the GT85 straw into the lock and as I sprayed it pumped out dirty black crap. I just worked and repeated a few times until it was free and them lubed with some graphite type spray.

Mine lives in a garage and worked perfectly for thousands of mile and then just seized one day when I came to use it. I put the GT85 straw into the lock and as I sprayed it pumped out dirty black crap. I just worked and repeated a few times until it was free and them lubed with some graphite type spray.
The main problem I have is the steering lock is on. So I can't even push the bike undercover to work on it.

Just my 2 cents :nenau
Been riding Bikes a long time. Never owned a new one - always secondhand, usually very 'used' :D.
So i've had a lot of 'high mileage' ignitions. :rolleyes:
When frozen, a lighter toasting the key and putting it back in the keyhole and waiting a little has always worked.
When clogged with crap, it's always been small particles,and easily removed (not totally obviously) with a squirt of WD40
:duck: stop it Dr. Farkoff - i can hear your scream from Dublin! :p
and using the key as a probe; in/out/wipe scrupulously clean with a lint free cloth. Repeat til it comes out as clean as possible.
If that don't work, take the lock apart in an enclosed area (like a large biscuit tin - a magnet in it helps for the iron based parts / but not the brass :rolleyes: ).
There will be 'ping-fuckits' in there - and they will...

But usually you'll only find a damaged spring or pin in there that you cant fix anyway and you have to replace the whole thing. :blast
but you'll find out why the key wouldn't turn; it no longer was the right pattern to fit. :thumb2

If THAT don't work - it's not the key lock, it's the steering lock mechanism - often jammed due to damp ingress and/or lack of lube. Take it apart, clean it.

If none of the above work...
it's possessed :eek: - sell it.
~~~
:pullface

The main problem I have is the steering lock is on. So I can't even push the bike undercover to work on it.

Skateboard bungeed under front wheel.*

*this will make the Bike 'handle' like a greased pig - but movable. :eek

Happened to me on more than one occasion .
It was always a frozen lock . . . fag lighter on the key does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom