YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.....Er....Ah....

Apex

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
You have to laugh. I know I did.

This is the old in tank fuel filter from my Freeride.

Bike started playing up a little last Sat. Coughing at idle. Due a service and remembered my mate had an issue with this filter. Sure enough it was pretty dirty. Time for a new one.

How much? £4? £6 maybe at a push, with a KTM badge on it.

£39.95! £39.95!! I’d rather use a pair of old socks.

So a quick trip to APD - £1.31 for a clear one, which has to be a better idea as I can see if it needs changing.

% wise I think you’ll struggle to beat that markup for the KTM one. Staggering.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkIMG_0352.JPG

You can apply that rule to most parts. Brake pads. Spark plugs. Light bulbs. Remember though not everyone has the knowledge to get parts at trade or discount. JJH

Hence the post really. Sure people have done this before and posted it, but it sends a message (albeit a small one) that we notice when dealers charge stupendous prices for spares.

Of course, KTM dealers have to sell KTM parts, presumably buying them from KTM at stupid prices and by the time the dealer puts his cherry on the top it gets out of hand. The recent post on the Miserden Flyers rear GS shock comes to mind. £2k for the fitted part! Hell & Fire!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the reasons I got rid of my capponord. Great bike but crazy parts prices. And bad back up here in Ireland. JJH

i was in a workshop the other day and they had ordered some genuine KTM parts for an MX bike, the 3 bolts that go into the rear shock linkage. Nearly £80 retail!

I wanted to replace a couple of lost broken push rivets from some internal fairing panels on my Honda, the tiny plastic push rivets. My dealer offered to give me a couple then realised he was out of them. I said , just order me a bag of a dozen when you order some for yourself. He said "you might change your mind , it'll be about £35!!!"

i can buy a box of 100+ non-genuine for a tenner !

Sorry....stand corrected. You do get what you pay for after all....

Attachments

• del2.JPG
    del2.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 395
As an extra to this. Last Saturday the Freeride was playing up again. Bogging on initial throttle. Pulled over and lifted seat. Removed the petrol cap only to be sprayed with fuel all over my mud laden attire and the bike!! Good job either wasn't set on fire! Turns out that there was a recall a few years ago because a guy dropped his bike and fuel leaked out of the breather hose onto the manifold and set fire to his bike. The cure was to put a one-way valve in the breather Hose.

The issue is that these bikes are well known to boil their fuel and the one-way valve won’t allow the excess pressure buildup in the fuel tank to escape! The result is that the tank pressurizes and obviously (as it turns out) interferes with the fuel pressure running to the engine and makes it misfire and pop. All pretty poor really. Once the pressure was released the bike ran perfectly again!

So my fix (will see if it works) is to use another one of my £1 something filters and remove the one-way valve completely. The £1 filter sits where the one way valve used to go after cutting the tube a little shorter. This way I can see what’s going on and there’s no flow restriction in either direction. This is possibly genius, or possibly a disaster waiting to happen, but my guess is that it will work well.IMG_0180.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the Freeride have an in-line filter in the fuel pipe?

P2220014.jpg

One in tank as per this thread and the gauze one in the quick release fuel line (which was spotless when checked). This one is in the tank breather hose that comes off the filler cap (which also has a valve in it but doesn’t affect the pressure in the tank).

Edit: The in your pic is the small gauze one which was clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom