Stanley range need help

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m sure you boys will help me out

weve recently moved into an old cottage that has a Stanley range. It’s a Stanley super star that dates back to the 1990s. Got it running for the first time today as the woman we bought the house from kindly ran the oil tank dry before she moved out.

anyway it does the heating and cooking in the house. There are two handle slots either side of the burner window that lift or lower flaps inside. Does anybody know what each flap does? I’ve looked for a manual and asked a few folks but nobody is familiar with this brand. Being as it’s an Irish cooker I thought I’d ask here.

Attachments

• BB106004-1BEF-4B8E-8F44-DF991CB2CFE1.jpg
    BB106004-1BEF-4B8E-8F44-DF991CB2CFE1.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 247
Thanks but there’s nothing in there about the mechanical paddles on the older boilers

Would imagine it's air flow, to raise / lower temperature. Just a thought.

Not a useful comment for you but I bought a solid fuel Stanley years ago for my old farmhouse, a fantastic range. :)

It is a single burner stove, their should be a tool to fit the slots, and depending on where they are set, diverts to ; oven, top plate or water heating. Its a while since I worked on one of these, but I remember something odd about the thermostats as in, one is for C/H water and the other is oven, and can conflict if the baffles are not in the right position.

It is a single burner stove, their should be a tool to fit the slots, and depending on where they are set, diverts to ; oven, top plate or water heating. Its a while since I worked on one of these, but I remember something odd about the thermostats as in, one is for C/H water and the other is oven, and can conflict if the baffles are not in the right position.

As above .... get yoursrelf a Infared Thermometer and check actual temps in various places , with flaps in various places ... should soon be obvious what does what. Heat (Warmed air) can only go the ? 3 places .... to hot water , top plate or oven .... yes and some will obviously be radiated to room. We have an Esse ... vaguely similar , but it has only one flap ... adjustable positions . Spends 98% of it's life fully in. If you have top plate off for cleaning - you MAY be able to see flaps working , and be able to "work out "logic" of air / heat flow.

Pastor Flaps ......

They reckon , personally i dont know , but if you get Paster Flaps ,,,,,,,, Your In ! ,,,,,,,, Allegedly .

Are you in DL

Back
Top Bottom