Build quality.

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just giving my Gen 2 Explorer a deep clean ( do it twice a year with all my bikes) and I've got to say, I genuinely believe that the Triumph build quality on the modern bikes is second to none.

Had a brand new Tiger 800XCX for a short while - was not impressed with quality of spokes and fasteners which corroded very quickly :rob

The early Bonnie spokes had a terrible habit of corroding and snapping yet Triumph refused to do anything about it :blast

Corroded engine casings & fasteners

Engine casings are polished untreated alloy. All purchases are told this. Since when did stainless fasteners start to corrode. Maybe I've been lucky but 2 winters on my Gen 1 and the best part of this winter, which has had a lot of salt on the roads, on my gen 2 and there is not a blemish to be seen anywhere.
Unlike my Stelvio, which whilst I do love, it's like the GS you've really got to keep on top of it.

Corroded engine casings & fasteners

The fastners are are ok, just the bare polished aluminium casings and wheel rims that are especially vulnerable - that should be pretty obvious but I guess you have to spoon feed the modern biker or they whinge. My Thruxton R cases are wiped over with ACF50 even when it’s sitting unused in the garage.

The fastners are are ok, just the bare polished aluminium casings and wheel rims that are especially vulnerable - that should be pretty obvious but I guess you have to spoon feed the modern biker or they whinge. My Thruxton R cases are wiped over with ACF50 even when it’s sitting unused in the garage.

Out of interest. Did your dealer warn you of possible corrosion issues if you didn't keep on top of your cleaning regime?

My Bonnie is now 14 years old, was used every day by the previous owner for work. It was completly shit up when I bought it - bit of TLC and everything is bright & shiny again, no rust, impressed overall, one of my previous Triumphs had fastners that rusted on sight!

Just giving my Gen 2 Explorer a deep clean ( do it twice a year with all my bikes) and I've got to say, I genuinely believe that the Triumph build quality on the modern bikes is second to none.

Nope , not as good as my 1200X Crosstourer which is significantly better than another Honda, the AT for example. Try taking the fairing panels off a VFR1200 or the 1200X and you will see what I mean.

So from my perspective I would say that yours is at least second to one rather than second to none :p

My Bonnie is now 14 years old, was used every day by the previous owner for work. It was completly shit up when I bought it - bit of TLC and everything is bright & shiny again, no rust, impressed overall, one of my previous Triumphs had fastners that rusted on sight!

My 02 Bonnie I never bother cleaning. Then again. It is smothered in FS365. Has rebuilt wheels with stainless spokes and decent fasteners (now) :D

P9300069.jpg

P9300103.jpg

P9300093.jpg

I'm on my third Hinckley triumph, previous were an 2000 Trophy 900 and a 2007 Tiger 1050, both of these bikes were used through winters and the finish held up really well. I washed them off regularly and sprayed them with GT85. The Trophy was previously owned by a friend in Edinburgh, this was bike was left out on the street in all weather and never covered up, when i bought it I was amazed at the lack of corrosion on it, considering it had stood unused for a couple of years only the fork stanchions needed to be replaced because of pitting, most of the fasteners were ok.

Out of interest. Did your dealer warn you of possible corrosion issues if you didn't keep on top of your cleaning regime?

Yes they did warn me last June when I bought the bike, they said that Triumph had told them to - they also said not to use abrasive cleaners on the polished cases - so I was fully informed.

I would agree after owning a BMWF800GS loads of trouble. Own a Tiger 800XCc now and it is so much better.

Derek

Back
Top Bottom