Delayed launch

You guys amuse me. You may call me a cynic but, really, are you serious? 21st century Big Corp will just walk all over you given the opportunity - there is little or no respect once the money has changed hands. Open your eyes & get used to the fact.

BMW launched late; We saw the new F7/850 at 2017 bike shows, launch was to be Spring 2018, then set back to June, now withdrawn. Believe me, when it's your buck invested in a new bike that needs major repairs that will take months, meaning you will miss a whole season on your new ride, I know what I would be doing - asking for my money back now, with interest & a goodwill gesture of the financial kind.

I've been there, twice over the years. I didn't enjoy it & I won't be letting it happen again. However last time I had a bike failure & 3 months off the road waiting for parts & repairs it did give me the opportunity to stretch the legs of my old Electraglide on a 3000 mile Euro trip, on which it excelled. A goodwill £500 from the Mothership eased, but did not eradicate the pain - not forgiven or forgotten.

You've got to give BM credit for their marketing! For some reason people just love BMW. But feck me .... how many other manufacturers have such a poor history of say, the finish on the engine casing? When did you last hear of Yamaha or Honda or KTM making a major recall ? RT's and their rear suspension, GS's and their front forks? The redevelopment of the WC boxer gearbox some four years after its launch because the original was so appalling .....
I'm sorry .... BMW reliability and finish is simply shocking imho.

And yet people keep coming back .... :nenau

When did you last hear of Yamaha or Honda or KTM making a major recall ? RT's and their rear suspension, GS's and their front forks? The redevelopment of the WC boxer gearbox some four years after its launch because the original was so appalling .....

I'm sorry .... BMW reliability and finish is simply shocking imho.

And yet people keep coming back .... :nenau

Yep, we keep coming back.

I don't know too much about the deep history of all brands, but the fact that they don't do recalls is not the same as that they shouldn't have.

Yamaha had a series of FJRs that caught fire, and I know a guy that is still waiting to get his new KTM back due to an engine problem apparently well known to KTM. He has currently no ride, just a load of excuses.

When BMW dealt with the RT issue, the message was: You must not drive your RT until we find a solution. Of the several thousand RT that was sold at this time, one bike had broken down, and another one showed signs of a problem (unless I'm misinformed). In the mean time, pick your bike. The customer could pick any BMW he liked and ride it until his RT was fixed.
When the fork issue came up, whenever a customer came in with a bike that was beyond limits, he could leave the shop with any BMW he liked.
Same again now with the F750/850. The customers are offered a brand spanking new bike of his choosing, and BMW picks up the tab.

I can not speak for the feeling of other BMW owners, but I do not in any way feel like I am being stepped on.

And, by the way. Even if the newest transmissions of the GS has been improved, the first ones are a galaxy away from being appaling...

...And, by the way. Even if the newest transmissions of the GS has been improved, the first ones are a galaxy away from being appaling...

Mine was so bad it was the reason I ditched it and went KTM ...!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whichever way you look at it, this is shockingly bad from BMW’s point of view. Whilst it’s fine that they have withdrawn it rather than foist a bike with serious issues on the public and deal with the breakdowns, it hardly inspires confidence that the finished/fixed bike is going to be reliable. Having seen one in the flesh yesterday for the first time, I’ve lost what little interest I’d had in them. If I wanted a light-ish everyday chain driven bike then a KTM 1090 looks so much better for about the same money (and with a huge tank compared to the tiny plastic bucket on the new GSes).

Whichever way you look at it, this is shockingly bad from BMW’s point of view. Whilst it’s fine that they have withdrawn it rather than foist a bike with serious issues on the public and deal with the breakdowns, it hardly inspires confidence that the finished/fixed bike is going to be reliable. Having seen one in the flesh yesterday for the first time, I’ve lost what little interest I’d had in them. If I wanted a light-ish everyday chain driven bike then a KTM 1090 looks so much better for about the same money (and with a huge tank compared to the tiny plastic bucket on the new GSes).

The KTMs looks pretty good, and I suppose they are, as long as I dont't have to be the owner of one of them.

I only know four guys that bought KTM.
Two of them got rid of them in less than a year and traded them for GSA after several issues over a short periode of time.

On of them stil drives, and he is still happy with it. The fact that he had to drive it on a trailer to the shop after it would not run after he tried to cross a small ford does not seem to bother him.

The forth guy got his bike this april, and it went back to the shop after 1k km, and the bike is still there. He is not so happy.

Anyway, all brands have their issues. The difference is how the dealer handles it.

I'm sure there are lots of happy KTM riders out there. So to anyone that goes for KTM I wish you all the best :D

The KTMs looks pretty good, and I suppose they are, as long as I dont't have to be the owner of one of them.

I only know four guys that bought KTM.
Two of them got rid of them in less than a year and traded them for GSA after several issues over a short periode of time.

On of them stil drives, and he is still happy with it. The fact that he had to drive it on a trailer to the shop after it would not run after he tried to cross a small ford does not seem to bother him.

The forth guy got his bike this april, and it went back to the shop after 1k km, and the bike is still there. He is not so happy.

Anyway, all brands have their issues. The difference is how the dealer handles it.

I'm sure there are lots of happy KTM riders out there. So to anyone that goes for KTM I wish you all the best :D

And what were these issues ?

I’ve had well over a dozen KTMs since my first in 1998.

In all that time, I had a clutch cable snap on a Duke 640 in 1999 and a head gasket blow on my 950 Adv in 2004, but it still got me 500 miles back home.

I’ve had a few recalls but that’s it.

In a different league to the ridiculously bad workmanship that grounds so many BMWs.

Yes, BMW may offer the best warranty and not quibble but it’s just as well seeing as they are so unreliable . Most other brands never need to use the warranty.

And how many on here dare keep a BMW once that warranty expires ?

I believe the goodwill BMW garners with their customers through the usually excellent warranty helps them to keep one of the biggest secrets within the motorcycling community. And that is that they aren’t actually the best finished or most reliable (unstoppable :augie) bikes on the market.

I believe the goodwill BMW garners with their customers through the usually excellent warranty helps them to keep one of the biggest secrets within the motorcycling community. And that is that they aren’t actually the best finished or most reliable (unstoppable :augie) bikes on the market.

Bit like Landrover, most loyal customers, shite reliability. But nobody has to buy the BMW product, I do, because I happen to like the bikes, so everyone can make their own decisions.

And what were these issues ?

Two of the bikes had issues with the forks. The bikes where ridable, but gave the riders an uneasy feeling riding it. Unfortunately I can not give any further details except for the fact that the owners started to dislike their bikes after a short periode of time, and within less than a year the bikes where gone.
The third bike, still in the shop, is a brand spanking new 1290R (I belive). Oilleaks from one cylinder, so much that the rider was warned to ride it an it was picked up by a truck.
Six weeks later and still in the shop, and no nothing from the dealer. The owner is lawyering up..

I am aware that there are lots of happy KTM owners around, and I guess that just like it seems like most of the people that worry about BMW quality has never owned one, the same goes for most other brands.
Triumph owners are happy, Ducati owners are happy etc., and the all quibble about the quality about other brands. And some of them goes to forums of other brands, and what ever issue comes up they pop in and say "ah.. get rid of that pos and get brand XX", not realizing that to those discussing the subject started by to PO such an argument is about as interesting as watching paint dry..

Beats me why anybody with no interest in a buying a bike takes so much time to make statements condeming it. If you don't like it don't buy it. Simple. Don't take the piss out of people who have a different view.
Sadly there is a problem which BMW will resolve ASAP. But having ridden both the F850 and F750 In my opinion they are superb bikes to ride. The do what I like a little better then my F800gs, and My GS800 dose what I like much better than the R1200GSLC and the R1200GS.
I will buy one next year, there is not much competition really, I have had extensive tests on the Africa Twin and the KTM 1090 and both seem a bit flat in comparison to the new BMWs. The price difference is also quite considerable.
My riding is typically 40 to 65 mph on narrow lanes. Camping and continental touring. I swapped my R1200GSLC for the F800 as its by far an easier and enjoyable bike to ride on a typical day out. The R1200GS is also the only modern bike I have had fail on me (In Greece)

Beats me why anybody with no interest in a buying a bike takes so much time to make statements condeming it. If you don't like it don't buy it. Simple. Don't take the piss out of people who have a different view.
Sadly there is a problem which BMW will resolve ASAP. But having ridden both the F850 and F750 In my opinion they are superb bikes to ride. The do what I like a little better then my F800gs, and My GS800 dose what I like much better than the R1200GSLC and the R1200GS.
I will buy one next year, there is not much competition really, I have had extensive tests on the Africa Twin and the KTM 1090 and both seem a bit flat in comparison to the new BMWs. The price difference is also quite considerable.
My riding is typically 40 to 65 mph on narrow lanes. Camping and continental touring. I swapped my R1200GSLC for the F800 as its by far an easier and enjoyable bike to ride on a typical day out. The R1200GS is also the only modern bike I have had fail on me (In Greece)

So, just to clarify, you’re saying that a 125bhp 1090 feels flat in comparison to a 94bhp 850GS?

I was seriously thinking of buying an 850, saw it at the nec and thought it looked ok. But I was also very interested in the Honda ATAS (which I bought). The delayed launch put payed to my interest, but I got to see one last week at a dealer, sat on it, looked it over etc, etc, didn’t ride it as I already had a new bike, but was completely underwhelmed by it and the exhaust system is a disaster, looks awful.

Whatever the issue is, I’m sure bmw will sort it out eventually, but it’s a PR disaster for a new bike and I’m guessing big discounts will be offered to try and shift them. Basically, you pays your money to whoever you have faith with and is selling a product you like, bothers me not what you ride, it’s what your like as a person that matters. So for anyone who’s bought or thinking of buying a 750/850, hope you enjoy it.

Yeah I’m with you on that... you’ve got to close the garage door on something you love ..!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"So, just to clarify, you’re saying that a 125bhp 1090 feels flat in comparison to a 94bhp 850GS?"

Yes that is what I am saying. I have also qualified this statement by giving my normal riding style. I don't rev the nuts off my bike and most bikes above say 500cc will only develop about 30kW at 4000RPM. I ride with a group of mates on various bikes and all have no problem riding at my pace. One has a 1200GSLC and prefers to ride the dales on his Honda CRF250 Rally as its easier to ride. The GS1200 only comes out when it a long distance ride.
The GS1200LC may be faster at the top end but needs more gear changes and feels to give less power at lower revs. If you have a Computer Pro you can look at your average throttle openings and number of gear changes, I bet most will find the throttle is rarely above 20% open.
The KTM was a real pig to ride, Great on the A19 but up and down the box to keep it revving. As the adverts say Its a race developed bike and you need to be on the throttle to ride smoothly, not really relaxing.

If you think power is everything please feel free to contact me and Ill organise a run out where you can show me how to use 125 bhp on a twisty Yorkshire road covered in pot holes, gravel and sheep shit. with speed traps on all the best straight bits.

This tread is about delayed delivery of the 750/850 due to a problem that came up at a late stage.

Some people are taking the oportunity to promote bikes of other brands and bring them into the discussion.
While it may be fine bikes, it holds no relevance to the discussion.
Yours truley belongs to a group og F800GS owners that are considering an upgrade. But quite frankly I have absolutely no desire to own either the Honda AT or any of the KTMs. Some people like them, some people don't. I don't. And no matter how brilliant any of them might be, they have no influence to the fix that will eventually get the 750/850 back on the road. So please, spare me, I dont care how fine they are.
The closest I have been to a KTM is sitting on a 1290. The handlebars where so narrow that my hand would not fit. Must be built for girls. So girls, please take your knitting elsewhere.

The Honda AT looks good. But I would never want one. I have two friends with AT. Every time it fals over, they have to go to the dealer to buy new parts. That makes it a POS in my book, and makes the bike unfit for it's intended purpose.

Now, can we get back to the subject of this post and discuss the delay of the 750/850?

Back
Top Bottom