Tyre question!

Apart from the obviously knobbly tyres they all grip very well indeed.
The lightest handling pair I’ve used were Conti TKC-70. Don’t be fooled by the off-road look. They as useful in mud as a pair of worn trainers. But they make the bike feel much lighter on the steering and grip like the proverbial even on back lane gravel scree.
They are not so sure-footed at motorway speeds but that’s no surprise for a 75/25 on/off road tyre.

Think after watching a raft of reviews and reading comments I'm down to PR4 or trailriders.

I'll probably get laughed at for this.......but the Avon looks "right" on the GS, the Michelin doesn't.

In my opinion, the Trailrider is a match for the PR4 on both wet and dry surfaces but where it shines above the PR4 is on dirty, uneven badly surfaced roads (think UK/Ireland)

It's also M+S rated.

Think after watching a raft of reviews and reading comments I'm down to PR4 or trailriders.

I went from Tourance to PR4's, really good tyres. Then I went to Trailriders and could not believe that they could raise the bar higher but they did.

Plus they look better on a GS IMO
The flimsy flex of a worn PR4 tells you why they puncture
Trailriders are better through the winter

Echo the comments for Trailriders, on my second pair now, would not go back to PR4's after using them.

Once fitted Conti Road Attack 2 to my GS because I thought they would be a better tyre for my use but I really regretted it.

I found the ride a lot harder, the bike seem to fling itself into corners, great on my R 1 but do so good loaded up on the GS with the Mrs on the back. Bike felt skittish

I Got a set ok Anakey 3’s and love em - more grip than I ever need, comfortable and make the bike feel stable

Once fitted Conti Road Attack 2 to my GS because I thought they would be a better tyre for my use but I really regretted it.

I found the ride a lot harder, the bike seem to fling itself into corners, great on my R 1 but do so good loaded up on the GS with the Mrs on the back. Bike felt skittish

I Got a set ok Anakey 3’s and love em - more grip than I ever need, comfortable and make the bike feel stable

The Road Attack, Trail Attack and TKC-70 all use the same carcass and variable rubber compound curing process. However Trail Attacks felt much more stable than the TKC. I liked the quick handling of the TKC but I now do a lot of motorways where they really are not at their best.

That's it! Avon Trail riders. my mind is now made up! Thanks guys, been really interesting this thread!

Cheapest Trailriders i found were from Amazon,

If your lucky M&P will have an offer on

The price for a pre LC set is roundabout £160 - £200 (or was when i was looking)

Just read Wexford Miles post on Avons! Very good reports. Am going to look at weekend for the best place to purchase.

Well I have my new Avon boots fitted now, kind fella in bike shop done them for a tenner each and disposed of old ones. Just got to give them a good run out and see what a difference it makes! Thanks again guys for all the info, would never have looked at these tyres! I do have a spare set of alloys though so once I've got some sensors for tyre pressures and them powder coated will try another manufacturer!

Don’t forget the alloy back wheel uses shorter mounting bolts than the wire wheel.
Also check the front disc alignment relative to the calipers.

Yes I have the bolts for the alloys. Wasn't aware there was any adjustment for discs/calipers

Done just over 100mile on new boots today. They have transformed the bike ten fold. No extra road noise and falls into the bend's now. Im very happy with the choice. Tbanks for all your onput. Been very helpful.

Yes I have the bolts for the alloys. Wasn't aware there was any adjustment for discs/calipers

I fitted older type 5 spoke alloys that came complete with original discs. They fitted fine, but when folks have swapped discs from wire wheels to alloys, the discs have not sat centrally in the caliper. The disc offset is not the same across all models.

The other wheels came with discs and abs ring so think I'm ok on that one, thanks for the heads up though.

Back
Top Bottom