Skye roads not for a novice

H.R.H.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok for rufty rufty adventure types like myself :boozer

I was out the other week taking pics for a well known motorcycle newspaper :tosser
To advertise the island as a motorcycling hotspot :rolleyes:
Gorges in middle of roads hundreds of yards long.
Pot holes the Khmer Rouge would be proud of.
Highland council Max speed signs have run out and now using loose chippings signs

Wish the roads were like this years ago, would have saved me a fortune in going to India and Africa for the experience.

Helps keep the numbers of sports bike riders who invade the place down :thumb2

:hrh

What about the sheep and the bastard sheep dogs?

Can you wild camp ?

Any photos ?

I fancy a run up in the spring . :D

Wild camp yes but not in my fkn gairden
Hunners of photies but can’t remember how to post them on here and can’t be arsed re learning

Spring will be good no snow to fill the craters

Bloomin sportsbike riders....

38516312630_0ce69f614e_k.jpg

Was that in between the snow. Yup the roads up here are the worst I’ve seen for years. Local fb pages full of folk putting in claims to bear for damaged vehicles.

Keep the feckers away. Last summer was the worst one for bike rtcs and fatalities.

One even threw his bike under an ambulance.

Well I certainly hope every pot hole is repaired by the 8th June. I've heard good things about this Skye place so a bimble round, a bag of chips and good weather expected. What could possibly go wrong?

Coming back from Applecross a couple of days ago... scandalous state in many places, like 3rd world only worse!...:mad:

Flew over to Inverness on Friday with my youngest... hired a Vauxhall Corsa for a couple of days and was offered the bloody expensive extra insurance, which I declined.

After driving along Loch Ness to Glencoe I was shocked at the frequency, width and depth of the potholes.

Saw a white van man on the main road from Fort William to Ballachulish who had lost two tyres to a single pothole.

Had I hit it in my Corsa, I genuinely think it would have written off the car.....at least 18" deep.

Today I headed part way to Oban and hit a few of the biggest potholes I've seen outside of Africa.

WTF? In the morning I've got to get the car back to Inverness without having a blowout.
Should have gone for the extra insurance me thinks.

And don't start me on Polis Scotland and yer new laws n limits.

I probably should have gone for a half bottle of Night Nurse each night to help get me over, rather than the Black Bottle which isn't available back home.

PS. glad to see windies is back in the room. :flag

Drove down from Fort William to The Drovers Inn (Pub of the year 1705) just north of Loch Lomond a couple of weeks ago ... there were three cars in the car park with front wheel punctures and severely buckled rims ... one alloy rim was shattered.

Two were changing their wheels, the alloy rimmed guy was waiting for recovery ...

:beerjug:

Pah, piece of piss on a Tomos!

Andres

Ha ha ..... it was in an old VW Camper too :thumb

The guy with the shattered alloy rim had taken out separate insurance cover for his wheels and tyres ... this was the third time it had happened this year ... and it was only the end of January :eek:

He looked at me like a piece of dog shit on his shoe when I suggested that he showed down :blast

:beerjug:

I was out the other week taking pics for a well known motorcycle newspaper :tosser
Highland council Max speed signs have run out and now using loose chippings signs

Wish the roads were like this years ago, would have saved me a fortune in going to India and Africa for the experience.

They're advertising Skye! FS, the place is full to burstin' from June to September as it is!

(And welcome back.:thumb2)

We used to ride on the left side of the road

Now

we ride on what's left of the road!

I've had a few wobbly moments on the roads up there, especially walking back from the Stein. :beer::beer:

Can you wild camp ?

Here are some pics of our wild camping, albeit on Mull last year. (Skye was the next Island we went to)

Pics of the tents, and then looking from the tents to where we left our bikes, and the pub is at the top right of the pic. Result :beerjug:

20170610_165219.jpg

20170610_165228.jpg

FFs I hope they get them filled in by the end of April, I'm doing the NC then with No1 Son whose just passed his bike test.....

Oonyack,is that you ya big jessie?

Back
Top Bottom