Triple ... The bobber with added CT

I won't lie, I was a little nostalgic when I started doing the prep work for the new colours and the orange disappeared under the new primer

Shame you had to destroy that lovely paintwork when replacement tanks, guards & side panels are readily available :(

Shame you had to destroy that lovely paintwork when replacement tanks, guards & side panels are readily available :(

You're not the first person to comment in a similar way. Thing is, the paint job is nice but the colours and scheme weren't my choice. I like them but I wouldn't choose them now. I look at it now and in terms of quality and design I see the kind of work I was doing 4 years ago. This bike is ultimately an advertisement for my work which is constantly evolving so I want it 'just so' ...

I have colours and a scheme in mind, in fact I have about 5 colour / schemes in mind but I can only choose one. I'll be painting it in scheme one and rolling it out into the world. There's every likelihood that I'll roll it back in and try something else in 6 months. Trouble is I'm burdened with possibilities so choosing just one isn't easy!

Chris,

Did you roll the edge of the air cleaner panels? Tidy job.

Fluff.

I got the first of about 7 paint processes done today -

I painted the panels in standard gold first - I use a Subaru colour as it's perfect for all occasions!

Then I mixed up some gold flake in suspension and applied 6 x coats.

After a two hour bake I applied 3x coats of clear coat.

The flake actually goes on like grit, the finish is almost as coarse as sand paper, the clear coats after are there to level out this rough surface. Once it's fully cured I will be able to block the clear coat back to a beautiful smooth finish without hitting the gold flakes below it. 72 hours later this prepped surface will be cured enough for further solvent laden base coat colours.

It's a process that's for sure!!!

<iframe width="1000" height="550" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-A0z9pZj4VY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very Liberace Chris :cool

It is very bling, ordinarily it wouldn't be my thing.

The reality is that I'll be painting over 95% of the gold with other colours!

I wanted the bit of gold that is on display to pop ;)

Interested how this revamp turns out CT - I know Triple was one man's vision but I never quite 'got it'. Lets see what paint and a little tweaking can do

Your threads on here are some of the best I read. (no BS, no twattish stuff, just great craftsmanship on show, imagination) Thanks for taking the time out to post the pics and type a few words. :beerjug:

Interested how this revamp turns out CT - I know Triple was one man's vision but I never quite 'got it'. Lets see what paint and a little tweaking can do

I understand exactly what you mean. I guess it's different for me as I was there at the time the choices were being made so I have more of an understanding of what's behind them.

I love this bike and I as I work on it again I've been able to re acquaint myself with all the subtle mods, the small details that are lost when you don't know to specifically look for them.

95% of the bike will remain untouched, I'm only adjusting a few things to my taste, that doesn't mean that I think Paul's original choices were wrong, just that my choices would have been slightly different ;)

Back
Top Bottom