Triple ... The bobber with added CT

Your threads on here are some of the best I read. (no BS, no twattish stuff, just great craftsmanship on show, imagination,but possible over-use of the word 'fella' !!) Thanks for taking the time out to post the pics and type a few words. :beerjug:

Fixed for accuracy .

:)

for no logical reason ....

It does look a little like that doesn't it! ......... for now ;)
... i've now got the theme to Magic Roundabout going on in my head and a vision of Dylan - with a spray gun in his mitt. :eek

So the sickly gold was ready for action this evening so I popped back to the workshop while SWMBO was out to do a couple (Four) hours ;)

First up .... flatting.

The sparkly gold finish need flatting back smooth before the next part of the process.

IMG_7758 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Next up .... masking.

I took a quick time lapse of the masking process, unfortunately I moved the tank out of shot for most of it!!! :blast

<iframe width="1000" height="550" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qYee4aWtaWY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then into the booth I went for the first of the real colour coats.

IMG_7766 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7767 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The colour looks flat in the still photos so I took a video to demonstrate the colour dynamic of the blue.
It's a pretty special colour. The paint for this one colour process alone was nearly £90 :eek:

<iframe width="1000" height="550" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ziPqYib-4j8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's going to look quite special (hopefully) when I get the clear coat on it!

I de-masked the main body of the next colour. I've yet to paint it as the base coat I painted tonight needs 24 hours to Harden up enough to back mask over ......

Untitled by tunneruk, on Flickr

You know what they say about catching the worm! ;)

Back in thew morning to finish off the scheme and get a first gripper locking coat of clear over it all. Sadly a camera lens really doesn't capture the colour shifts like the naked eye does. There's even a slight red pearl over the cream.

I'm looking forward to bring it out of the booth tomorrow and hanging it on the bike.

I'll let the photos do the rest of the talking!

<iframe width="1000" height="550" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nmOH-eP6U2A" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had a couple of hours spare this evening so I went back to CT HQ to do a few jobs.

I 'rested' the paintwork on the bike and took a couple of pics. The photos don't really do it justice.

IMG_7785 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7779 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7781 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The other job I wanted to do was button up the exhaust.

The Supertrapp end can was doing more harm than good so I decided to replace it. I've fitted a Stainless cone which I've cut about and TIG'd to keep it as seamless as possible.

I've fabbed up an alloy mounting bracket at the back which utilises the redundant centre stand bracket. I'm really pleased with the look and it sounds very 'purposeful' ;)

The only potential problem I see is ground clearance. I guess time will tell how much of it I leave behind on the tarmac!

IMG_7786 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7787 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7788 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7790 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Lovely job Chris, just needs more of that sparkly gold paint :p

..and doesn’t triple have just one P :D:D

Looking very very smart :beerjug:

Lovely job Chris, just needs more of that sparkly gold paint :p

..and doesn’t triple have just one P :D:D

Isn't it three?

Time for anther visit to the land of paint, wash-your-own-tea-cup, London Pie and that Dodge Coronet 440, methinks!

PG

Chris,

I have spent a lot of my life around paint and body shops of all levels.

You are a true professional at the top of the game,one day i will have you do some paint for me just because you care about producing a high end finish.

Your threads on here are some of the best I read. (no BS, no twattish stuff, just great craftsmanship on show, imagination) Thanks for taking the time out to post the pics and type a few words. :beerjug:

Chris,

I have spent a lot of my life around paint and body shops of all levels.

You are a true professional at the top of the game,one day i will have you do some paint for me just because you care about producing a high end finish.

Cheers for that guys, I really appreciate those comments. I don't even to begin to think I'm up with the best painters out there but I do try to do a good job, I get satisfaction from it. I see lots of work from other painters out there and it honestly puts mine to shame. Every day is a school day as they say and as each month passes I do something new and learn something new. I'm very proud of my work but always strive to be better.

It's looking great...total transformation. :thumb

Don't know why you're worried about ground clearance with that pipe.......it hasn't got any! :D
I'd defo do something about that, and to be honest I don't think it looks all that good, especially not with the outlet facing the ground.
It'd probably look much better with the outlet to the side...possibly give a bit more clearance too.
Although I reckon it needs a small extension pipe and the silencer kicking up a bit.

Erm, on the rearwards photo, where your paintwork "stripe" on the tailpiece looks great, it looks like the left hand curve of the tailpiece is out of shape, almost as if a small bite has been taken out of it, so it doesn't look equal.
Is this so, or a trick of the camera ?

It's looking great...total transformation. :thumb

Don't know why you're worried about ground clearance with that pipe.......it hasn't got any! :D
I'd defo do something about that, and to be honest I don't think it looks all that good, especially not with the outlet facing the ground.
It'd probably look much better with the outlet to the side...possibly give a bit more clearance too.
Although I reckon it needs a small extension pipe and the silencer kicking up a bit.

Erm, on the rearwards photo, where your paintwork "stripe" on the tailpiece looks great, it looks like the left hand curve of the tailpiece is out of shape, almost as if a small bite has been taken out of it, so it doesn't look equal.
Is this so, or a trick of the camera ?

I like the silencer for now, it's not facing down but at 45 degrees 'out'. If it's impractical I'll adjust it but for now it's staying just the way it is.

The rear fender is completely symmetrical, must just be a trick of the camera / shadow or something.

Details details .......

The paintwork was ready for it's final processes today so here we go ....

There were a couple of small imperfections that I wanted to rectify, it's not unusual and I go through this process with most of the jobs I do, I usually don't show it though. They're usually little mask bleeds or tiny imperfections that I notice, many people wonder what I'm going on about when I point them out but I know they're there so while I have the opportunity to fix them I just get on with it. This possibly makes me a little OCD but I don't care :D

First up, full flatting of the initial clear coat with 600 grade abranet, this gives me a nice level surface to go onto. Because the colour scheme is built up in a series of layers the paint surface becomes stepped up and down depending on the thickness of each coat of paint etc. The idea of this flatting process it to level all those out.

IMG_7865 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The trouble is it leaves sanding witnesses which in some lights can be seen under the next coat of clear.

I resolve this issue by guide coating the fleshly prepped surface and then go back over with a finer abrasive.

I literally spray matt black aerosol paint over the whole tank, only a dusting of course.

<iframe width="1000" height="550" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eAdmCOORvW0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This dusting settles in the low spots / scratches and allows a 'guide' to when you've eliminated them ...

I use 1000 grit Abralon pads for this next process, they're sponge backed so can be soaked with water as this is best done wet.

IMG_7868 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_7869 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Once all the black guide is eliminated it's safe to say that you'll have a pretty good and flat surface for the final coats of clear

However, before this happens, I like to fix my imperfections mentioned above. There were about 3 on this tank, I have highlighted just one to give you an idea of what I'm blabbing on about.

This little glitch is something you'd probably not notice but because I know it's there and it takes me about 15 minutes to sort it would be foolish to lock the problem in under another coat of clear so I address them now.

See the little bleed out of the top left of the 'R'

IMG_7870 by tunneruk, on Flickr

This is highlighted when I mask along the body of the 'R'

IMG_7871 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Quick spritz with the airbrush and we're sorted!

Once I'd done the couple of other little fixes there was just one last job to do.

The rear of the tank has an awkward looking pressing which is ordinarily hidden by the standard seat. Time to make that black as to integrate it into the frame and give the tank a rounder look. (Bollocks .... I forgot to photograph it)

It can been seen in the video below.

Once I'd painted in the black portion the tank and mudguard went back into the booth for the final paint process, 6x coats of HS 2k clear!

I'll leave it in the booth to cure down for the weekend and bring it out on Monday for a quick nib and polish ready for fitting :cool:

<iframe width="1000" height="550" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ld5JBDaycOU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An Artist at work.

Fcuking Proper Mr Tunner:thumby:

When I say to my body shop mates about flatting Lacquer and giving it more coats they Larf at me, they are car bashers though,good quality but just a living to them.

Back
Top Bottom