Poor Salesmanship

BigRedUn

Reaction score
Is it just me who gets narked by shoddy salesmen? Went to my local Infinity this morning all set to spend nigh on a grand on a jacket, only to be ignored for twenty minutes. One salesman talking to a couple that he obviously knew. They didn't buy anything; he went on a break when they left. Two other salesmen talking to a couple of young lads who also didn't seem to be buying anything.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like to be buttered up just a little when spending a lot of money. If one of those salespeople had bothered to say 'I'll be with you on a minute' I would have been a happy chap.

Is it just me who gets narked by shoddy salesmen? Went to my local Infinity this morning all set to spend nigh on a grand on a jacket, only to be ignored for twenty minutes. One salesman talking to a couple that he obviously knew. They didn't buy anything; he went on a break when they left. Two other salesmen talking to a couple of young lads who also didn't seem to be buying anything.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like to be buttered up just a little when spending a lot of money. If one of those salespeople had bothered to say 'I'll be with you on a minute' I would have been a happy chap.

Nothing wrong with that, just turn the game around on them, try on the clothes that you would like, to get the correct sizes then walk away and buy elsewhere.

Oooo that's not good :blast

Between myself and my small group of mates we must have spent big in the Oxford store and always received a good service, so it's disappointing to hear that you have not !

Try on yer bike Aylesbury - seems to have good stock and the chap knew what he was talking about when I went in Friday. Moto central are good but probably a bit far away

Sounds like they've done you a favour.

It's given you time to ponder the lunacy of spending a thousand quid on a jacket.

Some people like to be left alone when browsing, trying and buying stuff. I know I do, I don't need all of the sales drivel.

Here's a thing: How about popping across to the chap and saying "when you've got a second, could you give me a bit of help?". I'm sure that would have done it.
Nope, not the dear old British. Flee in a huff... "We won't go back there, Marjorie dear..".. Waste your time, waste your trip and then post on here about it.

Alternatively, if you have got your sizes, as Smogbob suggests, you can sock it to 'em by ordering from somewhere cheaper on-line. That'll show em! :)

Try on yer bike Aylesbury - seems to have good stock and the chap knew what he was talking about when I went in Friday. Moto central are good but probably a bit far away

They are shite, wife and had to get fat c***t out his chair and try to sell us a bike after making all sorts of attempts including pulling out bikes our self to try them for size. Consequently, 20 minutes later we walked out and will not ever return there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people like to be left alone when browsing, trying and buying stuff. I know I do, I don't need all of the sales drivel.

Here's a thing: How about popping across to the chap and saying "when you've got a second, could you give me a bit of help?". I'm sure that would have done it.
Nope, not the dear old British. Flee in a huff... "We won't go back there, Marjorie dear..".. Waste your time, waste your trip and then post on here about it.

Alternatively, if you have got your sizes, as Smogbob suggests, you can sock it to 'em by ordering from somewhere cheaper on-line. That'll show em! :)

Indeed :D

Far too much; "I've got the money, treat me like I'm somebody special..........."

Andres

Agreed....I, day to day, like to be left alone........HOWEVER, I know for an absolute fact that in 2010 Allan Jefferies dealership in Shipley lost the sale of a new R1200RT due to having better things better to do than to flog me one.......

It didn't kill them, or me.....Just saying like........

Some dealers care some dont,

Totaly ignored in a main dealers when trying to order some parts for my Impreza many years ago.

Until I asked about finance terms for a forcourt car and then they were all over me like a rash,

Until i pointed out that the flat tyre and heavily corroded disc on the model i'd spotted on the

way in , must have magically appeared after the thorough 40 point check he was waffling on

about with some sales gusto.

Only dealer ive ever had a good experiance with was the local Honda dealership, only used

them twice in 5 years for parts and cambelt change, both times corteous, and treated me like

an old friend. (dont know them from adam lol )

(and they were way way cheaper than the Rover dealer for the same work lol)

Nothing wrong with that, just turn the game around on them, try on the clothes that you would like, to get the correct sizes then walk away and buy elsewhere.

That’s what they are used to seeing, unfortunately............

I love this “indignation” crap - people who won’t give any sign that they are interested in something in a store - they are generally the ones who will come on here, asking what sort of discounting they can “expect” - which is just a way of getting some “hand-holding” as they lack basic confidence.

Same here; I like to look around by myself. If I need anything I'll ask for it. :nenau

So opinions seem to be split between interrupt the salespeople and ask them to do their job, or just try the stuff for size then buy online.
My wife has a shop, and I'm keen to support bricks snd mortar businesses wherever possible, so I prefer not to order online. I also prefer to browse uninterrupted, but I do want to be able to speak to a salesperson if I wish to.
I think Tarka offers the best advice.

Agreed....I, day to day, like to be left alone........HOWEVER, I know for an absolute fact that in 2010 Allan Jefferies dealership in Shipley lost the sale of a new R1200RT due to having better things better to do than to flog me one.......

It didn't kill them, or me.....Just saying like........

Jonnie
Only person that greets me in AJ is the lady in the central reception, even when she had he leg in a cast she was chirpy. I must have the wrong face for buying gear! Despite owning a few bikes.

It's a fine line for them IMHO.
I hate being pestered by them and prefer to browse in peace, preferring to ask for help/advice if required, now if they then can't be bothered.....

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Put on the jacket you want and make for the exit, you will likely promptly attract the attention of the salesman.:beerjug:

Been there done that ! Local BMW dealership , popped on a street guard , no one to serve me, walked towards the door and out of it! The alarms were screaming ! Went and sat on my bike just parked outside,.......then some one came over ! All ok sir ? Yes I said just wanted to try this on sat on my bike , but the staff were busy drinking coffee and playing on their computers , so I just took it on myself to make sure it sits ok on me while I’m in ride position. “ no problem “ he said and went back inside. I just put it back in the rail, then went elsewhere .

Last time I darkened the doors of my local (distance wise) BMW Motorrad dealer there service was utterly sh*te , main salesperson completely ignored me whilst on the phone with someone discussing the match on Saturday.

He had been the same on previous visits when buying clothing and a used bike , his attitude has subsequently lost that dealership the sale of 3 new bikes in 6 years with a total value of over £43,000.

Personally if you don't like the salespersons atitude vote with your feet go elsewhere but also give their manager a ring to get them a kick up the arse ,nowadays no dealer no matter what size can afford to lose sales

The best sales bods will say hello and say something along the lines of

" if you need any help give me a call"

At that point they can go and drink their coffee or whatever and await the customers indulgence without wasting anyones time

Back
Top Bottom