Windscreen pins

RTV

Reaction score
Good day folks,

I've broken for the second time my windscreen pins, those little plastic pins that grab the windscreen at the bottom. They didn't last for long so I'm thinking that might as well upgrade them to metal ones.

I saw that motorworks sell them but at 45 pounds they sound a little steep. Would you lads know of any cheaper alternatives or any DIY hacks to fix this problem?

I do take my GS offroad and I do park it sideways every now and then, so that might be the root cause :aidan

2008 GS (Standard)

Cheers,
Rami

I got some Wunderlich vario front mounts. They are like short Tobinators.
However if the screen gets a few bumps, your plastic mounts may well be cheaper than a new screen.

I got some Wunderlich vario front mounts. They are like short Tobinators.
However if the screen gets a few bumps, your plastic mounts may well be cheaper than a new screen.

Which ones are those again?

I would agree if they actually protected the screen but I don't think they do anything in that regard, it's just a shitty design and sure enough, they changed it completely in the following models.

People that don't offroad at all would have those broken off by just having strong gusts of wind. So yeah...

I've got some of the Wunderlich "mini tobinators" that I'll be listing for sale shortly, give me a shout if you're interested. Definitely better than the original plastic ones plus the slight gap that they create at the bottom of the screen reduces turbulence.

Stu.

Edited to add: ScreenSave Vario from Wunderlich, unfortunately mine are for the <2007 bike, can't see what the difference would be though because it's the same screen :nenau

I've got some of the Wunderlich "mini tobinators" that I'll be listing for sale shortly, give me a shout if you're interested. Definitely better than the original plastic ones plus the slight gap that they create at the bottom of the screen reduces turbulence.

Stu.

Edited to add: ScreenSave Vario from Wunderlich, unfortunately mine are for the <2007 bike, can't see what the difference would be though because it's the same screen :nenau

Are these the ones?

https://www.nippynormans.com/tobina.../wunderlich-screen-safe-vario-r1200gs-to-2012

If so, they do look pretty cool. If you'll be willing to ship to ROI, send me some info and we can talk.

rtvrtv at gmail.com

Cheers
Rami

Are these the ones?

https://www.nippynormans.com/tobina.../wunderlich-screen-safe-vario-r1200gs-to-2012

If so, they do look pretty cool. If you'll be willing to ship to ROI, send me some info and we can talk.

rtvrtv at gmail.com

Cheers
Rami

Now you've put a picture up of the later version I can see the difference! No mine are the earlier version which has a threaded bar connecting the two slotted pieces, I assume on the later bikes the hole doesn't pass completely through the screen mount.

Attachments

• ScreenSafe.jpg
    ScreenSafe.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 289
Yup, on my bike I'm pretty sure the whole doesn't go all the way through so I wouldn't be able to fit the rod through.

But anyways, good recommendation lads. That's what I was looking for. :)

Mine was not drilled right through but it’s easy enough with a suitable “long series” drill. Go in from both sides.

Mine was not drilled right through but it’s easy enough with a suitable “long series” drill. Go in from both sides.

I'll see when I receive the new ones, I think I might have to do some drilling alright. I don't remember the plastic pins being as long as these look in the pic. But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they just fit.

Cheers lads!

If you've bought the correct version for your bike they'll fit just fine .... Bendy just likes to adapt everything, probably grew up with too much Meccano.

I initially fitted some used Tobinators which needed the bracket to be drilled. Drilling was easy especially when new "correct" Tobinators were so costly.

The Wunderlich items I now have are "correct" but the supplied O-rings for the expanding stubs were too large. Some electrical tape wrapped around solves the problem but be very careful to not over tighten the expanders.

It will make sense when you see the parts.

I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get them, hopefully at some point next week :)

Looking forward to get rid off the vibrating noise I get from the screen right now.

I had the ones from nippy Normans , stainless steel. I think touratech.
It tells you in the instructions to drill it through for the threaded bar that joins the 2 pieces . Mine was a 2008.

I’ve got stainless versions on mine, think they were called Hard parts/ hard stuff or similar.
God memory is defgo on the way out, but the product above looks good with s little enhanced adjustment built in.

Got them yesterday on the post, some serious quality to them. I'll see if I can install them today if I don't freeze my butt to death...

I'll report back once installed.

Got them yesterday on the post, some serious quality to them. I'll see if I can install them today if I don't freeze my butt to death...

I'll report back once installed.

Get some pictures up when your done. I think I'm going to fit some instead of the solid stainless ones I had on my old bike.

Mine are the Wunderlich Vario type. They have expanding pins in stainless with slotted alloy blocks. It’s great fun trying to attach the screen and not lose the (not quite) captive nuts. But once on they look good and allow some screen height adjustment.
As said mine came with small O rings but they were too fat to fit the bike. A single wrap of PVC tape sorted it. Pulling the expansion plugs up tight without the O rings would have killed them.

The genuine Tobinators needed a cross bolt like a mini bicycle wheel spindle and a hole drilled right through. The hole diameter each side is untouched.

I've broken a couple due to unscheduled lie downs.

I fixed the first one as there was a wait on the replacement from Motorworks. They were only a few quid from memory and I've since replaced both my fixed ones with the genuine alloy versions (keeping the repaired ones as spares for on trips).

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/404655-GSA-lower-screen-mount-lugs

I've a feeling that having an 'easy snap' mount in that position is actually a good thing as it can save the screen and other much more expensive screen mounting hardware in the event of a spill. A broken one can be bodged successfully with a couple of cable ties (as I found when I bust one in Corsica).

I've broken a couple due to unscheduled lie downs.

I fixed the first one as there was a wait on the replacement from Motorworks. They were only a few quid from memory and I've since replaced both my fixed ones with the genuine alloy versions (keeping the repaired ones as spares for on trips).

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/404655-GSA-lower-screen-mount-lugs

I've a feeling that having an 'easy snap' mount in that position is actually a good thing as it can save the screen and other much more expensive screen mounting hardware in the event of a spill. A broken one can be bodged successfully with a couple of cable ties (as I found when I bust one in Corsica).

Nice one, that's probably what I was looking for before. I actually thought that the pins were plastic only to find out they are actually metal inside, I probably have done this route otherwise. I think the ones that came with the bike when I bought it (2nd hand) were actually plastic and thus my confusion. This new ones that I bought were original BMW replacements and they either upgraded them or the previous ones were chinese or something, don't know.

So, in my case, it took me a little while as of course the broken pin was stuck inside the screen frame and I had to drill it out carefully. I can also confirm that my frame actually goes all the way through.

Installation is of course very easy, the rubber o'rings fitter just fine on the pins and inside the tube, all fits snug and feels secure. Didn't over-tighten anything to allow for some movement in case of some sideways action, but hey... I didn't buy the GS to be a garage queen, she's getting used as intended!

Here's a shitty picture for you to enjoy of the complete installation:

BWkUWl7.jpg

Again, the kit is very high quality and feels almost over engineered for what it is. I'll put it to the test to see if it is as tough as it is pretty. :)

Back
Top Bottom