Mating FD to prop shaft.

Mac One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello
Is there a foolproof way of mating the prop shaft with the final drive spline. I had the swing arm off today to grease the gearbox shaft spline and I must have spent more than an hour trying to do this I wiggled it and jiggled it until my arms hurt but no way I always have difficulty with it but tonight must be a record, I walked away from it eventually, before I did something I'd regret. Anytime I see videos of people doing this they just offer it up and in it goes. I'll try again in the morning, all suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Cable tie through the UJ to hold up the prop shaft, swing up the FD and gently rock the disc back and forth until the splines engage. Holding up the UJ should put the splines on the UJ at the right angle.

Thanks to Uturn Tony for that trick, ‘‘twas a Pita before I tried that.

As above, just support the shaft, and bring the final drive to it.

Use the brake disk to wiggle the final drive whilts applying a bit of pressure. it will just pop on.

Think of a clock hand moving from 55--05

Dont worry you'll feel it when it goes ( and the bolt holes for the anti rotaion bar will line up.

ps dont forget to grease the splines

I have a length of wire to do the job as others have said. I loop it around the shaft just aft of the joint lift and offer the drive up whilst jer jer jiggling the disc :thumb2
Still sometimes takes a while though, just depends on how you hold your mouth :aidan

Cable tie through the UJ to hold up the prop shaft, swing up the FD and gently rock the disc back and forth until the splines engage. Holding up the UJ should put the splines on the UJ at the right angle.

Thanks to Uturn Tony for that trick, ‘‘twas a Pita before I tried that.

Just noticed it was you Steve and you are very welcome :D

Agree this was a bitch of a job and took me nearly as long, walked away, had a cup of tea, came back and raised the rear hub into a more normal angle and this made it go in pretty much straight away.

Make sure the bike is in gear.
Use a long thin screwdriver to move the the rear U/J onto the final drive as you swing it up, rock the rear disc back and forth to help it locate, job done..

Thanks for the tips everyone, I went back out this morning to try again, no luck at first so I took the gaiter off to see what was going on and I was still toiling to connect it. The mistake I had been making was not rocking the disc enough or putting enough upward pressure on the FD while I was rocking the disc. I done it a few times with the gaiter off then put the gaiter on the FD side, got the spline lined up then one hand under the FD the other on the disc, a bit of a jiggle and as if by magic, I became a real man. I was tempted to disengage it to see if I could do it again, NOT.

Thank again everyone.

I put a zip cable tie around the UJ then snipped it off before refitting the rubber gaiter. TBH that took longer than fitting the UJ.
Support under FD helps to bring it more in line.

Back
Top Bottom