Snugpak sleeping bag opinions?

deksawyer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for a small pack size sleeping bag, that's not too expensive, and the Snugpak Softie 9 Equinox / Hawk seems ideal. Anyone with real world experience? I won't be camping in winter but usually April-Sept. I've looked at the Alpkit Skyehigh 700, and it may be cosier, but it's also bigger and more expensive.

Any others to look out for?

D.

Have you tried trekitt? They've got 40 percent off Rab sleeping g bags at the moment

I’ve got the snugpak elite 4 and it’s a good bag with an expanding panel Which is quite good if it’s a warmer temp as you can open the bag up a bit. The only issue I have with it is the zip snags easily and i’dve preferred the clunkier style you get on issue bags.

Hi

Take a look at the biker Coleman. I purchased two on EBay at £19.99 including postage. They look great quality. Very light and roll up very small. Ideal for carrying on a motorbike. Some are listed on EBay at £63 but if you search you will find them at £19.99

See here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1QAbkgebm0

Derek

I had a Snugpak softie Hawk 9 (or whatever it was), and generally thought it was crap. Too small (I am 6' 3" and 16stone), and not particularly warm for its pack size, while at the same time being horribly clammy and sweaty in warm weather. The insulation starting breaking down - you could tell, it lost most of its loft and it got progressively less warm. My son took it on his world travels and binned it somewhere in Asia as he also thought it was rubbish. I suppose on the upside it was reasonably well made (apart form the insulation breaking up) and after a few years of abuse still washed up well.

I went to down bags after this one and they are waaaaay better. Lighter, small pack size for warmth, and much better drape over you while sleeping which means warmer and more comfortable to be in. The comfort range extends both up and down the scale more than equivalent synthetic bags. If you can afford one get a roomy down bag. It will last for years and you won't regret it.

If someone says synthetic bags are better when wet, yeah right, like you are going to have a decent nights sleep in a wet bag whatever it is filled with.

I have a small down bag -summer and generally all UKgser campouts, Works great. Rated as season 2 so 0 to 5°C for comfort. Its light and small. I also have a 3 season Snugpack softie9 which is warm!, comfy and tapered well so it keeps the heat in. It is hot in summer, and the zip does get stuck! I haven't used it in over 4 years now, so I guess a season 2 down in a tent is good enough. It also dries quicker if it gets wet and doesn't impeded the down. Much better option in my view than the snugpack. But when its cold, the snugpack is a good bag.

I like my Snugpak Jungle Bag - packs tiny, plenty warm in moderate conditions. I suspect it wouldn't suffice on colder nights, but I personally sleep warm, and thermal base layers (which one might be taking on a trip anyway) would combat that. And a feature I really like is that it's rectangular - no claustrophobic AAAAGH! periods through the night...

Snugpak are pretty rubbish. The issues kit is far superior. If size and weight are not an issue, get yourself a bouncing bomb. You will never be cold!

Weight and particularly size typically are an issue if the bag is to be transported on a bike. I don't think OP has mentioned, though I've presumed this to be the case?

im selling an PipeDream 400 Hydrophobic down sleeping bag grate bit of kit and packs up very small half the size of the Skyehigh 700 my adds on hear pm me if interested

Weight and particularly size typically are an issue if the bag is to be transported on a bike. I don't think OP has mentioned, though I've presumed this to be the case?

I did ask for small pack size.....moonheads alpkit looks good..shall investigate.

D.

It’s always worth taking a decent liner which not only keeps the bag cleaner but generally speaking a good one will put another couple of degrees on the rating though not the extra season some claim.

Ended up buying a Mountain Hardware Spellbinder down bag from Trekitt. https://www.trekitt.co.uk/35504/products/mountain-equipment-spellbinder-sleeping-bag-pine-cedar.aspx

Maybe should've went for the slightly warmer Dreamcatcher, but we'll see. Don't plan on being out in near zero temps anyway.

The Spellbinder is pretty light and packs up way smaller than my current bag, by about 70% - if it keeps me warm, it'll be a winner. Might get one of these: http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Sea_to_S...Mummy_Sleeping_Bag_Liner/?SelectedItem=687085

Happy Camping!

D.

Ended up buying a Mountain Hardware Spellbinder down bag from Trekitt. https://www.trekitt.co.uk/35504/products/mountain-equipment-spellbinder-sleeping-bag-pine-cedar.aspx

Maybe should've went for the slightly warmer Dreamcatcher, but we'll see. Don't plan on being out in near zero temps anyway.

The Spellbinder is pretty light and packs up way smaller than my current bag, by about 70% - if it keeps me warm, it'll be a winner. Might get one of these: http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Sea_to_S...Mummy_Sleeping_Bag_Liner/?SelectedItem=687085

Happy Camping!

D.

Nice one. I guess it is warm enough for your journey. I also prefer less warm sleeping bag and carry a compact blanket with me in case the night is too cold.

Nice one. I guess it is warm enough for your journey. I also prefer less warm sleeping bag and carry a compact blanket with me in case the night is too cold.

Bought the STS liner and will be trying it tomorrow night in Strathyre. I have a proper British Army issue Gore-Tex bivi bag as well, but I don't think I'll be needing that, although it's in my topbox if I need it.

D.

Back
Top Bottom