3rd Generation re-visiting The Lake District with Grandpa.

(RIP) andrewgsadv

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
3rd Generation re-visiting The Lakes with Grandpa.

Had many a bike trip when our Daughters were young starting in the 1990s. They started at 9 and 10 years old , local to us at first and further afield as confidence grew. At the time I had the Purple Cow BMW R100gs PD. Julies first big bike was a Honda CB500. Both bikes with tupperware panniers and top boxes. Camping for up to two weeks at a time. Furthest afield in the Uk was the Lakes. With a few UK excursions under our belt we did several runs well into France, Sarlat , Bergerac and Bordeaux . As time and funds allowed we shared accomodation with friends and the camping gear was left at home . What a joy especially for Julie.

FEW EARLY PICS

Lillys Mum at Hardknott Fort in better Weather

PURPLE COW

Always having a keen interest in my Bike Lilly couldnt wait to have a trial run.

She started coming out with us for short runs at 10 years old. As time progressed we built up the distance gradually until May 2017 when at 11 going on 12 years old we surprised her with a trip to the Lakes.
I had given her Mum a pannier bag to fill with her gear for 3 overnights in Ambleside and operation re – visit and travel in her Mums footsteps was on . All hush hush she had no idea we were going, just thought she was popping in to say hello. Mid week also helped with the suprise.

TUESDAY
Get your gear on Lils were off on a trip for 3 Days. Eyes bright she rattled off upstairs for her gear. By the time the bike cover was off she was back down bouncing about like Tigger , eager to get underway.
Everything stored plus extra wet gear in the topbox as the weather looked mixed. A quick run up the A1 to Wetherby then cross country through the Yorkshire Dales to Sedbergh, Kendal and Ambleside.

On arrival we settled in to our Family room overlooking the main street in Ambleside. Maps out and we discussed where we would go tomorrow and Thursday weather permitting.
So Wednesday Wrynose and HardKnott with a stop at the Fort and Station, with a trip to Ravenglass on the little train. Thursday the thinking was Keswick, Buttermere and Honistor Pass but weather looked a little poor. We will see.

We went out to look for an alfresco lunch, Co Op to the rescue with sandwiches in the reduced,section at 90p for 2 well we cant go wrong at that.
We have a wander into the Park for a picnic and its an adventure playground, Lils in her element on the zipwire and climbing wall . Aided by brilliant sunshine. After lunch we go and book a table at a little Italian restraunt , then off to find where the waterfalls are. We aim to walk up there after tea.
A good start to our first day.

WEDNESDAY
After a good breakfast, we pop back to the Co- op for more bargain lunch supplies before suiting up and donning extra waterproof coats as it looks a bit mizzly. The route follows the Coniston road but I deviate at Skelwith Bridge to pickup the road to Chapel Stile ,Great Langdale and the little road side gates , finally starting the accent of Wrynose. By this time as we climb the mist is descending, uneventul over Wrynose on the FJR, Lilly prefers it to the R1200GS adv as quieter , smoother and Faaaaaaassssssssstttter, whoooooooosh she says .

Alls well until we ascend the Hardknott Pass , first time on the FJR . I have felt less in control, less lock,leverage on the bars and heavier than the GS , Get on with it Lad
A little stop at Hardknott Fort

Lilly looking wistfully at the area her Mum and I sat for a picnic in bright sunshine.

Is it time to go Gramps as Ive stung my hand on a nettle , to the rescue with a doc leaf.

CAN YOU SEE THE CHAMELION

We get suited and look forward to the next part,an alfresco lunch and a run on the Ravenglass light railway.

Coming down to the Railway station far less engine braking on a big 4 how I smiled . No big dramas just excercised more care . On return to Smallwood Guest House we were met by 4 other bikers who were amazed that I should take the FJR over the passes 2 up. Got to be done says I. In conversation it transpired that two of them had fallen off when they went up Hardknott a few years ago. The road surface is bad in places but treat with respect and alls well. Much easier on a trail type machine though.

What a lovely day, Lilly taking 95% of our pictures , to complete it we came back on the Broughton to Coniston road, very little traffic and dry weather , love that road .
Knowing how to indulge a Granddaughter further we had a proper old fashioned fish and chip tea , bread and butter and builders tea. Had to walk it off, so set off to walk to Bowness by the Lake.

PERFIC

THURSDAY
Up and at em early as off to Keswick up round the Derwent towards Borrowdale , over the Bridge following the back road to get a good view of the lake. To amble round to Buttemere and off to find the Honister Pass and maybe call into the Slate mine as I think there maybe a cafe there. Bug*** its persisting it down. After a quick chat we decide to postpone and get our cagoules on and mooch round the cafes and shops. Decided to buy peeps at home some little gifts,so off we went , great fun if a little damp. By the time we had finished and booked into the Italian for tea at Lillys behest, the Sun had got his hat on , well nearly. Quick change and we hit the road to Keswick and beyond. Pretty overcast but the clouds and light quality of the Lakes making up for it

From Borrowdale heading towards Buttermere.

Accent

The Honistor Pass

Departing Keswick and the light quality was excellent and constantly changing.

FRIDAY
Rain really coming down this morning,hoping it clears before departure as we are keeping to the cross country routine avoiding bigger faster roads.

Stopping for petrol just after the overtrousers let go at the crotch, time for a reproof. Very heavy rain though.

Towards Hawes decidedly moist.

Coming out of Hawes the rain intensifies so I think a lunch stop is in order and remember one of Jbs watering holes from the Dent Do rideouts at Swineside and its a belter. I had a homemade soup and Lilly having hollow legs went for the Welsh Rarebit , well it is Yorkshire . Its Mahooooosive but she troughs the lot in short time.

Food Pic

Raining as we left but just below Leyburn, the sun popped out, hurrah so we wended our way through Middleham to Masham,Wetherby and finally onto the dismal A1 M1 for our final leg.

We both loved our trip together , Lilly being a fine companion and great company. Looking forward to 2018 .Lilly ,Grandpa and Grandma are off to the Brecons for a few days. She doesnt know about this journey yet , just need Mi6 to have a word with Grandma to tell her to not post owt on Faceache.

That wide eyed look that says “How Fast” or better still “Do you know where you are Going Grandpa ? “:D

Thanks for your comments, only taken me 7 months to get round to it. Love the Lake District, my wife’s family are from Kendal and Brigsteer , so it’s been like a second home over the years. Nice to show our Granddaughter this Grand Place. Was talking with my 10 month old Grandson today telling him that I will take him on runs out on the bike . He already finds the Fjr fascinating. :D

Fantastic, great report

One to savour, looking forward to meeting you both again.............at Dent this year

Fantastic, great report

One to savour, looking forward to meeting you both again.............at Dent this year

JB , not booked in for Dent as Julie and I see our respective parents Friday/Saturday as both are in need of our support. If we find family to cover will most likely pop up :beerjug:

Wonderful.
You are a rich man.:thumb2

Rich indeed Patzx12 we are a very close family.:thumb2

What a lovely story, gave me a warm feeling inside.

My daughters both have scrapbooks of adventures at home and in France 🇫🇷With the advent of robust digital cameras the new generation is let loose to document there own journeys. As mentioned the majority of our photos are Lilly’s, they offer and show a different perspective.
We had a nostalgia camping trip for the whole family last Summer, back to our favourite campsite by the beach in Gwithian. All 8 of us 3 generations. Weather not great but what a blast from the past. Sadly not allowed to attend by bike 🏍.

What a lovely story, gave me a warm feeling inside.

I agree with this comment. A strong feeling of "Family commitment" abounds from this tale with a love of bikes and the Lake District next.

So nice to read a story like this, it has made my Sunday morning.

Hi Andrew. Enjoyed that thanks and as "he" said, you are indeed a rich man. Now that IS something she'll remember for "ever and ever" :clap

Have you got "comms" twixt you and Lilly? , and you slipped that one in quietly about the FJR or Ive missed it in the past. What gives then? :confused:

Always enjoy your little Ride Rambles, even the food pics:thumb !

Tinytim,

Eyup Tim, when my daughters were younger we went through all manner of coms. Mostly crap. Bought our first autocom units from Rainbow when I bought the R100Gs in the late 90s. Have continued with autocom wired units as always worked well. Transformed our trips away and the ability for the kids to make there own playlists makes for a happy child. Thankfully I have the ability to tune their music out:D.

The Fjr, well I went to Cmc on a whim to test ride a Yamaha XTZ 1200, it wasn’t available and they had the new Fjr on the Test Fleet. Always fancied a Sports Tourer,but most would not fit down our ginnel,fixed mirrors. Any way took the bike out and knew within 100 miles it would be the one. They offered me a cracking trade in so here we are. Put 6000 miles on it and love it to bits, makes me smile all the time. Do I miss the GS1200adv, hell yes but can only afford to run one bike .:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom