Mortgage protection insurance cover: HELP!!!

Ogmios

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anyone assist me in getting a quote / any sense / a pound of flesh?

Thanks in advance.
~~~
Marc

Be very careful which company you go with and do your research, my wife in her job as a medical secretary has come across more than one instance where insurers have tried to weasel out of paying out mortgage protection settlements on persons with terminal illness cover.

For example refusing to pay out on a 45 year old with terminal cancer because when he filled in the application forms he failed to mention ONE set of slightly raised blood pressure readings taken during a medical 10 year previously . Absolutely nothing to do with the cancer and so inconsequential that even though they were noted in his medical notes he had never been made aware and needed no treatment and since then all of his blood pressure readings had been fine .

In that case it had to be fought through the courts by the families lawyers and even though it was eventually settled by that time the gentleman had died and his family had suffered months of extra stress

Thank you Neil.
This is partly why i'm looking for help.
It is a minefield and i am being very honest with the insewerance companies regarding my health info, so there is NO wriggle room later.

Best description i ever heard of them and banks was "a place that lends you an umbrella - and takes it back off you when it's raining."

To the two comedians above your post: :bash :mcgun :p

Are you employed? If so, are there any in service benefits? My job gives me 3x my annual salary as life insurance which is more than enough to cover the mortgage. No medical bollocks to worry about.

1./ oh yes.
2./ ahhh .... no, feck all like that!

thanks for the thought though.

shame - I could earn more as a self employed locum but when you add the value of perks like this, the 30 days paid holiday, full pay when ill & an "average salary" pension then it become risky and less attractive. Especially with my list of ailments which would make insurance expensive.

The best advice I can give is to go for the cheapest quote you can get because all insurance companies are in my opinion tarred with the same brush. Go for Irish based so if it all goes tits up you or yours won’t have an international legal wrangle. Sorry to be so down on this but it’s the duty of every insurance company to wriggle out of paying. Shareholders must be protected. JJH

The best advice I can give is to go for the cheapest quote you can get because all insurance companies are in my opinion tarred with the same brush. Go for Irish based so if it all goes tits up you or yours won’t have an international legal wrangle. Sorry to be so down on this but it’s the duty of every insurance company to wriggle out of paying. Shareholders must be protected. JJH

That's the biggest load of bollocks I've seen on here recently.

Best advice is whichever company you chose when you fill in the application forms speak to your GP and get a list of ALL medical conditions and tests/treatment that could cause issues with a claim in the future.

Many of the minor entries on your medical records will probably not register with you as being relevant and similarly very few laymen understand or remember medical terms

Would YOU like to contribute in a helpful way? JJH

There you go, can't say they are wriggling out of paying up, despite them having a duty to, according to you. Still don't let the facts get in the way eh.

https://www.drewberryinsurance.co.uk/life-insurance/life-insurance-claim-payout-rates-by-insurer

Or

https://www.abi.org.uk/news/news-articles/2017/05/protection-insurers-pay-out-13m-per-day-in-claims/

Or

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/news/insurance/5-startling-facts-about-insurance-payouts

shame - I could earn more as a self employed locum ....
I'm in a public service job myself, that would pay approx. 1/3 more in the Real World but
no matter how good the pay might be, the stabilty and security would not exist. averaged out over a working life - i'm better off here. ;)
But i'm quite low in the hierarchy so perks are few. I'm not complaining - i worked from age 15 til 35 in The Real World so i actually do know when i'm well off. :D

Best advice is whichever company you chose when you fill in the application forms speak to your GP and get a list of ALL medical conditions and tests/treatment that could cause issues with a claim in the future.

Many of the minor entries on your medical records will probably not register with you as being relevant and similarly very few laymen understand or remember medical terms
Very wise words there. Oh, i am giving them access all areas - even though i know i'll pay for it, literally.
Better that than the policy (the whole point after all) being worthless 'in the event' / but costing money in the meantime :blast .

There you go, ...
First off - i understand both sides of this. Honest.
I'll explain if you wish / but not here and now - just trust me. :D
We in Ireland, an entirely different planet to the U.K from an insurance point of view have many reasons to be 'unhappy' :augie with the insurance industry.
5 minutes on google found ;

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...pay-for-road-crash-that-was-setanta-1.2566069

https://www.independent.ie/business...t-administration-after-30-years-29309350.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/sean-quinn-anglo-bankrupt-671638-Nov2012/

Then add on...
https://www.irishtimes.com/business...ees-break-consumers-pay-nine-levies-1.2493795

So we're wary, o.k?

On the other end of things - we have people like Luke, who knows the industry very well. Goes out of his way to help someone navigate through it all because he knows it from the inside - and as a favour.

and Luke - you pointed me in exactly the right direction - :thumb2 :clap
Thank you. :beerjug:

So, let's please get back on topic. I'd appreciate it.
Thank you all for the posts. :Duchess :D

I'm in a public service job myself, that would pay approx. 1/3 more in the Real World but
no matter how good the pay might be, the stabilty and security would not exist. averaged out over a working life - i'm better off here. ;)
But i'm quite low in the hierarchy so perks are few. I'm not complaining - i worked from age 15 til 35 in The Real World so i actually do know when i'm well off. :D

Very wise words there. Oh, i am giving them access all areas - even though i know i'll pay for it, literally.
Better that than the policy (the whole point after all) being worthless 'in the event' / but costing money in the meantime :blast .

First off - i understand both sides of this. Honest.
I'll explain if you wish / but not here and now - just trust me. :D
We in Ireland, an entirely different planet to the U.K from an insurance point of view have many reasons to be 'unhappy' :augie with the insurance industry.
5 minutes on google found ;

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...pay-for-road-crash-that-was-setanta-1.2566069

https://www.independent.ie/business...t-administration-after-30-years-29309350.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/sean-quinn-anglo-bankrupt-671638-Nov2012/

Then add on...
https://www.irishtimes.com/business...ees-break-consumers-pay-nine-levies-1.2493795

So we're wary, o.k?

On the other end of things - we have people like Luke, who knows the industry very well. Goes out of his way to help someone navigate through it all because he knows it from the inside - and as a favour.

and Luke - you pointed me in exactly the right direction - :thumb2 :clap
Thank you. :beerjug:

So, let's please get back on topic. I'd appreciate it.
Thank you all for the posts. :Duchess :D

Forgive me but your links relate to car insurance, a dodgy family, amongst other things, and some insurance levee for flooding. I thought we were talking life insurance which the companies are very good at paying out on despite the fact they apparently {have a duty to wriggle out of paying} :blast

There are stories in the press here whare insurance companies wriggled out of paying out on the death of an insured due to a non disclosure of some totally insignificant irrevalent minor thing that happend many years earlier and could have had no bearing on the death. Surviving parteners have lost the house as a result. The shareholders thing was my attempt at humor which obviously grated with you. I have meat Luke before and know of him trough my work whare he is well regarded. The only reason I didn’t recommend him is that he is retired and I didn’t want to put him on the spot. I don’t claim to be an expert and expressed my thoughts and limited knowledge. Some of that knowledge probley was gleamed trough reading red top newspapers. JJH

Unlike "General Insurance" ( car bike house etc) Life Assurance Companies don't try to wriggle out of paying. If you tell them everything on the way in then they will pay on the way out. I was always happy if an underwriter asked for a "Private Medical Attendants " report (from the GP) as once they had it then absolutely everything was declared and nobody would be unhappy. I had over 3500 individual customers and never had one death claim declined.

There are stories in the press here whare insurance companies wriggled out of paying out on the death of an insured due to a non disclosure of some totally insignificant irrevalent minor thing that happend many years earlier and could have had no bearing on the death. Surviving parteners have lost the house as a result. The shareholders thing was my attempt at humor which obviously grated with you. I have meat Luke before and know of him trough my work whare he is well regarded. The only reason I didn’t recommend him is that he is retired and I didn’t want to put him on the spot. I don’t claim to be an expert and expressed my thoughts and limited knowledge. Some of that knowledge probley was gleamed trough reading red top newspapers. JJH

You really need spell check turned 'on' when you have had a few pints.

For clarity nothing 'grated' on me. You base your knowledge on a story from a red top, so must be absolutely accurate particularly as it happened many years ago. God help any widow who is broke because her husband sat in a pub and took your advice.

Unlike "General Insurance" ( car bike house etc) Life Assurance Companies don't try to wriggle out of paying. If you tell them everything on the way in then they will pay on the way out. I was always happy if an underwriter asked for a "Private Medical Attendants " report (from the GP) as once they had it then absolutely everything was declared and nobody would be unhappy. I had over 3500 individual customers and never had one death claim declined.

Agree Luke. Some clients moaned if they needed a medical but I took it as an absolute positive and like you never had a claim, or know another person in our profession, who ever had a claim refused. Anyone who may have had a claim denied must have 'forgot' about the chest pains or constant headaches or the dizzy spells or or or. I have first hand knowledge, several times, of the relief a survivor has when the cheque turns up and they realise the house is secure and they and the kids can carry on as they did before.

Back
Top Bottom