Buying an ex-Demo

Reggie353

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If you purchased an ex Demo GS Rallye ,registered on the 29/92017 ,on the 24th January 2018 from a BMW Motoradd dealer, would you expect it to come with road tax?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

er yes of course,bmw approved used come with a years road tax as far as i remember

If you purchased an ex Demo GS Rallye ,registered on the 29/92017 ,on the 24th January 2018 from a BMW Motoradd dealer, would you expect it to come with road tax?

Is it different in NI than the mainland as you can't transfer road tax any more ? :nenau

I’m not certain but I am not sure it can since the paper disc was abolished. I think it is the new owners responsibility to tax it? Not the same for new vehicles though.

Ved is no longer transferable to new keeper and any refund of "full" months tax is made to previous keeper.

If it was taxed for 12 months from date of registration, then they will get 10 months refunded.

I would expect them to either give you the cost of 12 months Ved in cash or knock say £100 off some accessories or a service.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If its an ex-demo, presumably the dealer was the first owner and you've bought it secondhand. Since the road tax is not transferable between keepers now, you'd be obliged to tax it yourself.

The dealer may offer this as part of the sale along with the warranty i.e. Manchester BMW, however this may not be true of other sales centres. Was it specifically mentioned at the time of sale?

Well I bought a used bike from BMW Williams in January, which came with a years road tax

Yes - minimum of 6 months. Different if it was a private sale but would always expect a bike bought from a main franchise dealer to be taxed.

Did they just forget?

Just checked invoice. It says RFL R.O.C which I assume means responsibility of customer. Steep learning curve for me buying from BMW Motoradd dealer. Not sure I am that impressed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a 3 month old M3 from a BMW dealer had to pay for the tax when I collected it,£450.

Just checked invoice. It says RFL R.O.C which I assume means responsibility of customer. Steep learning curve for me buying from BMW Motoradd dealer. Not sure I am that impressed!!

I wouldn't be impressed either. Knowing in advance I'm paying is fine, but being surprised at collection isn't.

My ex demo didn’t come with road fund license. I assume as it’s not transferrable there isn’t any choice.

If you want to blame someone, blame the DVLA. I bought an ex demo X5 a few weeks ago from a main dealer, and had to pay £450 to tax it.

If thats the case the vendor will either require the prior purchasing the RFL by providing the details or ask you for payment on the day of collection before you can take the vehicle away.

That's fine. As long you don't only find out when you pitch up to collect.

Absolutely, as it happens the dealer I bought it from said they’d wait a few days before sending the log book off so at least I didn’t have to pay a months worth of tax for the last 5 days of the month. It was insured by me, just didn’t want to run the risk of getting pinged on the ANPR for no tax whilst riding home.

I am very surprised, that they allowed you to ride a bike away knowing it was untaxed.

Couple of years ago, I bought bike from Norfolk Triumph, who wanted insurance certificate so they could tax it for me whilst they were showing round new bike and I could then ride back to Edinburgh.

Very civilised.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If thats the case the vendor will either require the prior purchasing the RFL by providing the details or ask you for payment on the day of collection before you can take the vehicle away.

Not the sellers responsibility to ensure you tax the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom