Riding Modes - A Proper Explanation Please

The way I understood it was the mode affects a range of settings not just power. It alters ABS, traction and damping as well.

Dynamic gave 125BHP with fast throttle response, low levels of ABS and traction as well as firm damping.
Road gave 125BHP with slower throttle response, more of ABS and traction as well as softer damping.
Rain gave 100BHP with slow throttle response, lots of ABS and traction as well as soft damping.

You can still play around with the soft, normal and hard damper settings but the amount of damping provided is dependent on the mode. i.e Normal in dynamic mode will give you a much firmer ride than normal in rain mode.

Full power in all modes.

You can still play around with the soft, normal and hard damper settings but the amount of damping provided is dependent on the mode. i.e Normal in dynamic mode will give you a much firmer ride than normal in rain mode.
Apologies for reviving this thread. Are you sure of this? I can't find any information online or on the manual that the damping is dependent on the ride mode, only that each ride mode has a default setting (rain=soft, road=normal, dynamic=hard). Personally I can't tell the difference between Rain, but Soft, and Dynamic, but soft.

Is the adaptive damping (getting progressively stiffer until the engine is turned off) only in Dynamic mode? Does it work the same way in all ride modes?

Take a look at the way it is channel on YT. He has a video explaining all the settings and puts up a chart with all of the options.

Its easy.

1st. Select your correct ride height. One Helmet. One Helmet and Luggage. Two Helmets and Luggage.

2nd. Select your throttle and traction control sensitivity. Wet, Road, Dynamic etc.. Pro Modes turn off traction control and rear wheel ABS so you can spin the wheel and do skids (off road techniques)

3rd. Select ride quality. Hard, Medium or Soft.

Thats it in a nutshell.
and don’t forget the fact that Rain mode cuts the power to around 100 bhp, makes throttle response from wrist input much gentler (compared to Dynamic mode) and ABS + TC become quite sensitive. Which in turn makes it an idea mode for not only riding in the rain but also in town, due to less snatchy throttle.

Road mode gives you a full power but with less intervention from TC and ABS.

Dynamic mode, has full power with very sensitive throttle response, but TC intervention is minimal as is ABS.
Great mode if you a hooning around mountain passes with no luggage or a pillion.

It has been a few years (2018) since I last “owned” (PCP) a 1200 GS/GSA, so my recollection what else is involved are quite vague.

But from memory suspension settings were linked to riding modes too. But please do not quote me.

Apologies for reviving this thread. Are you sure of this? I can't find any information online or on the manual that the damping is dependent on the ride mode, only that each ride mode has a default setting (rain=soft, road=normal, dynamic=hard). Personally I can't tell the difference between Rain, but Soft, and Dynamic, but soft.

Is the adaptive damping (getting progressively stiffer until the engine is turned off) only in Dynamic mode? Does it work the same way in all ride modes?

Just reading this again, re harryweld comment, I don't believe that is correct - the engine characteristics under the modes are independent of the suspension settings, so there should be no difference in damping behaviour between modes if you have manually set the bike to a particular suspension setting. Certainly, I can detect no difference between modes when riding in normal/soft. They are only 'linked' to the extent that a particular suspension setting is applied to a particular engine mode by default, but which of course is switchable.

Last edited:
and don’t forget the fact that Rain mode cuts the power to around 100 bhp, makes throttle response from wrist input much gentler (compared to Dynamic mode) and ABS + TC become quite sensitive. Which in turn makes it an idea mode for not only riding in the rain but also in town, due to less snatchy throttle.

I've often seen the "rain mode cuts power to 100bhp" stated as a "fact", but I've also seen plenty of statements saying it has no impact on power as it only impacts power delivery (throttle response) and maximises ABS, Traction control etc.

Anyone know the actual facts?

After watching "Just the way it is" videos I found that it's possible to use Dynamic Pro so that all settings are the same as "Road" mode but with the quicker throttle response of Dynamic, so that is how I have it set up now rather than using Dynamic all of the time.

The way I understood it was the mode affects a range of settings not just power. It alters ABS, traction and damping as well.

Dynamic gave 125BHP with fast throttle response, low levels of ABS and traction as well as firm damping.
Road gave 125BHP with slower throttle response, more of ABS and traction as well as softer damping.
Rain gave 100BHP with slow throttle response, lots of ABS and traction as well as soft damping.

Carl on just the way it is on u tube gives a clear explanation on the various settings I recall

Hope this helps.......

Attachments

• IMG_0096.PNG
    IMG_0096.PNG
    460.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0097.PNG
    IMG_0097.PNG
    330.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0098.PNG
    IMG_0098.PNG
    409.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0099.PNG