Riding Modes - A Proper Explanation Please

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The manual is worse than useless regarding riding modes.

Recently I read a FB post by a guy who'd just discovered Dynamic and was basically saying it was like riding a different bike - with a huge fun factor.

Can anyone give me a useful explanation of what the modes are about and what happens if you engage Dynamic Pro with the encoder for road use?

Ta :thumb

Its easy.

1st. Select your correct ride height. One Helmet. One Helmet and Luggage. Two Helmets and Luggage.

2nd. Select your throttle and traction control sensitivity. Wet, Road, Dynamic etc.. Pro Modes turn off traction control and rear wheel ABS so you can spin the wheel and do skids (off road techniques)

3rd. Select ride quality. Hard, Medium or Soft.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Its easy.

1st. Select your correct ride height. One Helmet. One Helmet and Luggage. Two Helmets and Luggage.

2nd. Select your throttle and traction control sensitivity. Wet, Road, Dynamic etc.. Pro Modes turn off traction control and rear wheel ABS so you can spin the wheel and do skids (off road techniques)

Thats it in a nutshell.

Thanks - though it's the characteristic differences between (for example) Road and Dynamic I'm trying to establish.

Thanks - though it's the characteristic differences between (for example) Road and Dynamic I'm trying to establish.

Dynamic would be a sharper throttle response and less interference from traction control.

So it'll give you max power.

Road Mode will be similar just less agressive, like when in traffic ect.

I ride in Dynamic Mode.

Twin Cam bikes are better suspension adjustment. It raised \ lowered front and rear. LC only does the rear.
RAIN- damp roads, makes the traction control and ABS more sensitive.
ROAD- general knocking about and touring.
DYNAMIC. spirited riding and track days.

Its easy.

4th Select weaponry and target.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Fixed.

Dynamic would be a sharper throttle response and less interference from traction control.

So it'll give you max power.

Road Mode will be similar just less agressive, like when in traffic ect.

I ride in Dynamic Mode.

Twin Cam bikes are better suspension adjustment. It raised \ lowered front and rear. LC only does the rear.
RAIN- damp roads, makes the traction control and ABS more sensitive.
ROAD- general knocking about and touring.
DYNAMIC. spirited riding and track days.

Great thanks - Dynamic it is then :clap

Its easy.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Not if it's a '17 bike.
Preload is min, auto or max
Damping is road or dynamic, the difference between the two is more like soft and hard on the '16 bike with the appropriate throttle response.

Dynamic Pro is user configurable. It doesn't turn TC off unless you have set it do so.

AND, you get max power in all riding modes on the GS. What changes is the throttle response and TC settings. Power remains the same.

I always do the suspension on any bike:
Full soft (i live in the WOI) and stiffen up as required reacting to what happens

Rain when it's raining
Road dry roads
Dynamic, bit of hooning

Hard - a bit harder suspension
Soft - a bit softer suspension
Normal - in the middle

BMW had an ex ronseal worker that advised on the names

Rain when it's raining
Road dry roads
Dynamic, bit of hooning

Hard - a bit harder suspension
Soft - a bit softer suspension
Normal - in the middle

BMW had an ex ronseal worker that advised on the names

He was too expensive for the '17 model. they should have gone to the local primary school, we could have had names like, awesome, legend.

Not if it's a '17 bike.
Preload is min, auto or max
Damping is road or dynamic, the difference between the two is more like soft and hard on the '16 bike with the appropriate throttle response.

Mine is a '17 Registered bike.

There were three '17 reg bike versions

I did not realise that there is more than one version of BMW.'s 2017 GS with ESA

And once you have your bike Hilltopped with a louder exhaust in dynamic mode, they send a surgeon out to fix your face to “maniacal grin” mode... :D

The way I understood it was the mode affects a range of settings not just power. It alters ABS, traction and damping as well.

Dynamic gave 125BHP with fast throttle response, low levels of ABS and traction as well as firm damping.
Road gave 125BHP with slower throttle response, more of ABS and traction as well as softer damping.
Rain gave 100BHP with slow throttle response, lots of ABS and traction as well as soft damping.

You can still play around with the soft, normal and hard damper settings but the amount of damping provided is dependent on the mode. i.e Normal in dynamic mode will give you a much firmer ride than normal in rain mode.

Back
Top Bottom