Copying iTunes music files onto another Mac

Simmo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve got a new MacBook that I’ve transferred all of my music from my last MacBook onto. I’ve now reset my old MacBook to factory setting so that my wife can use it with her apple id.

What is the easiest way to put the music off my MacBook onto hers? All of the music on mine is what I’ve ripped from CD’s that I own. I want to do it like this so that in the future we can add what we want to each MacBook individually.

Thanks in advance.

Easiest way would be to drag and copy the whole music file to a pen drive stick, then insert in the other MacBook and upload. It can be done also via a disc , or iCloud

Thanks DC, will try that, will i be able to add her old iTunes library from years ago too?

Smogbog, thanks for that, can I download folders from the other mac?

I’m trying to make both mac independent after sharing the files, so that we don’t inadvertently delete others music.

Thanks again
Paul

Al the suggestions work but my favourite is use Airdrop.. Dig down in your home folder to find iTunesMedia>Music. Right click the Music folder and select Share>Airdrop. Click the receiving machine assuming you have OKed Airdrop in preferences and wait for the file to copy to downloads on new machine. Then go to iTunes and select add to library.

As my wife and I have iMacs, MacBooks, iPhones and iPads Airdrop is the first call for sending stuff between machines. This method keeps the machines independent as you are adding files to a new iTunes folder on the receiving machine although we spend the £20 and a bit a year for all our music files to be stored on Apples servers. We can then download what we want when we want on any machine which is great for travelling with iPhones. It's not necessary to upload everything as it works by Apple checking your files and if Apple already have a copy it just notes you are entitled to it rather than wasting time uploading another copy. This is a great way of replacing any poor quality files you have as if you delete them from your computer and then download again you get apple's top quality version.

Back
Top Bottom