Put a deposit down today

Hillfields

Reaction score
Having sold the GS LC back in September (not by choice at the time) took the plunge today and put deposit down on Africa Twin DST in tricolour. Spent ages dithering over this and slapped down deposit on one of the last unregistered new 17 model year AT’s left in the country in this colour - if not the last. Sorely tempted by adventure sport but wanted the more svelte standard bike. Loved the GS but just wanted something a bit less big and heavy. GS (my second) was great bike in so many ways but couldn’t help harking back to a bike I could throw around a bit more, squeeze through traffic and actually move around when parking up without getting a hernia. Time will tell if made right decision and in over 30 years only my second Honda (the other an nc30).

Am getting Oxford heated grips thrown in and will have to sort out the screen - the only significant weak point I could point to after an extensive test ride. Centre stand on order already.

Just got to try and work out how to break it to the missus now:augie

In keeping with moving away from the full-on adventure style I want to get soft luggage panniers rather than hard cases - any experience and recommendations gratefully recieved.
Hope the weather perks up a bit in three weeks when I should be picking it up....

I won’t be able to extend to the Davyb cornucopia of extras but what do the good AT rider folks here regard as ‘essential’ / must do accessories. I’m not planning on extensive touring - bit of 60 mile commuting, weekend ride outs and the odd longer long weekend trip.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting back on two wheels again.

If you are looking for a screen there are a few choices here .

https://www.kappamoto.com/My-motorcycle/?mo=CRF1000L-Africa-Twin-16--17&ma=HONDA

The Airsteam is adjustable and probably the most effective albeit not the prettiest and the short black one would mean your helmet is probably in more "clean air" depending on your height. I was once took the screen off my GS for a while= no buffeting and I quickly got used to the slight increase in pressure on the chest.

Good luck with your new Honda, the last of the 17 models in dealers are looking like bargains compared to the cost of a new Adventure Sports. Enjoy :thumb

Happy days. If all I was doing with mine was a commute, the odd day out out and odd weekend I don't think I'd bother with any luggage at all. Simply get a decent waterproof roll bag and strap it on when necessary...added to which I'd use a decent tank bag and a small removable rack bag. https://www.moto24.co.uk/held-iconi...-Te4l8Bxg8stbBpSOwEVlUQNFcw2LPXBoCbZgQAvD_BwE I have one of these. Does the job just fine. Put the money into the fuel tank and just ride it.

Loved the GS but just wanted something a bit less big and heavy.

Well I sincerely hope you love your fab new Honda. I still have my '98 VFR and it's in great condition so I'm a big fan of their build quality. I looked at the AT though and I really can't see much difference in weight or seat height from the specifications - am I missing something?

Well I sincerely hope you love your fab new Honda. I still have my '98 VFR and it's in great condition so I'm a big fan of their build quality. I looked at the AT though and I really can't see much difference in weight or seat height from the specifications - am I missing something?

Clever them Japanese , despite being not that much lighter than a GS it does "feel" smaller , lighter, slimmer and easier to move around. It's a shame they didnt do the same with my Crosstourer which does feel damn heavy when you move it around or try to get it on it's centre stand , not so bad once it's rolling though.

Kriega OS-18 Series Luggage is very nice.

SW Motech Rear Pillion plate cover.... strap it to that.

Thats what I did

As others have said, it does feel much lighter than my GSA, im lucky to own both and your plans are ideal for the AT, ive done a few mods to mine, ive tried loads of screens and at present ive got the tinted slipstream which is the same size as the honda touring one.

I put a givi plate on so that i can use my box on both bikes, and did the same with my sat nav, a roll bag and box is ample for trips, converted the bike to a single sargent seat with rack. A lot of my stuff is cosmetic and getting it to feel homely for me, lowered pegs, bar risers, nice sounding pipe, Batzen screenrisers, cruise control etc. Crashbars away being powdercoated at the mo and just covered the forks so they are black :D.

Im off to the Ardennes in April and will use the AT but for the pyrennes in July i will be taking the GSA :)

first pic is when i got it.......... 2nd pic a few weeks ago

Attachments

• IMG_2493.JPG
    IMG_2493.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_3837.jpg
    IMG_3837.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 653
Aren't both bikes within a spit of the same weight, though?:confused:

Apparently so - though it really does feel significant lighter and much easier to manoeuvre around manually if you catch my drift - I can only say it as I found it. Having read some of the posts in the AT part of the forum I think there is some debate about whether weights quoted are dry / wet. , so guess this might be the difference

My Africa Twin with Kriega Luggage

Attachments

• Pillion 2.jpg
    Pillion 2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 678
  • Pillion 4.jpg
    Pillion 4.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 621
  • Pillion 5.jpg
    Pillion 5.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 631
Nice bike Mr Warlord.... got me thinking, but I would have had a silver exhaust.... mmm... and I said no need to change it this year to my mates when at the excel last week... and now you put up those pics...:green gri:D:D

Quite how or why, I've no idea but the AT feels way lighter than the GSA and manoeuvering it about the garage is far easier.

Apparently so - though it really does feel significant lighter and much easier to manoeuvre around manually if you catch my drift - I can only say it as I found it. Having read some of the posts in the AT part of the forum I think there is some debate about whether weights quoted are dry / wet. , so guess this might be the difference

I was looking at the wet weight of the GS (not the Adv) against the 'kerb' weight (which I assume is wet) for the AT.

That said, just fitting a decent set of handlebars to my 1150 Adv seemed to shift a load of weight off it, making it much easier to manoeuvre - perhaps it's all down to ergonomics?

As others have said, it does feel much lighter than my GSA, im lucky to own both and your plans are ideal for the AT, ive done a few mods to mine, ive tried loads of screens and at present ive got the tinted slipstream which is the same size as the honda touring one.

I put a givi plate on so that i can use my box on both bikes, and did the same with my sat nav, a roll bag and box is ample for trips, converted the bike to a single sargent seat with rack. A lot of my stuff is cosmetic and getting it to feel homely for me, lowered pegs, bar risers, nice sounding pipe, Batzen screenrisers, cruise control etc. Crashbars away being powdercoated at the mo and just covered the forks so they are black :D.

Im off to the Ardennes in April and will use the AT but for the pyrennes in July i will be taking the GSA :)

Thanks, some nice mods there. How do you find the Sargent seat compared to standard? I had a 90 minute run on the standard and found it ok - on the GS I would have been squirming after about an hour. Got a Sargent for the GS, but the trade off was it did splay your legs more , which then made it harder to get feet down being 5 10.

SO...MUCH...BLACK... :yikes

Thanks - I’m 5ft 10 - which one did you go for?

Edit - Sorry - was responding to Rushys post

Thanks, some nice mods there. How do you find the Sargent seat compared to standard? I had a 90 minute run on the standard and found it ok - on the GS I would have been squirming after about an hour. Got a Sargent for the GS, but the trade off was it did splay your legs more , which then made it harder to get feet down being 5 10.

Standard was only good for an hour for me, i stuck the sargent on and instant relief, its been the same on my GSA's as well tho, you wont have any problems with height, the AT sargent is nowhere near as wide as on the GS

Back
Top Bottom