Cat D insurance

bisbee

VIGILUM
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My FireBlade has the log book showing as Cat D
Will I have issues getting insurance? Anyone with recent experience of this since the categories have now changed? TIA:beerjug:

Thanks for the reply There is very little up to date information out there :beerjug:

One of my bikes is a Cat C. Phoned the insurer before I bought it and they said it didn't matter what it was, so long as the value insured was correct (ie reflecting the fact that it is a lower value being a Cat C).

I had a few cat c's now cat S & d's now cat N never had a problem...
As long as you don't pay full resale value of a non insurance right off bike..
And be aware that when it's time to sell it you again won't get full value back of a non Category bike..

value is usually 40% less.

I'd question that figure.

Anyway,there's no need for the OP to contact his insurers if the bike is currently insured and was stated Cat D prior to insuring it.
The new grouping letter will only apply at renewal,and it should be barely, if any, different in premium because it's simply a Cat D by another name.

The only thing that must be done is to declare the category if selling the bike.

The level of markdown obviously varies considerably but it's usually a decent chunk.

As for declaring the insurance status at point of sale, I've always believed, as per above, that this was mandatory although I read on another forum that this is not so. I'd do so as a matter of course but the forum mentioned were focusing on an aggrieved buyer who was being chastised for not running an HPI .Is there a difference between private sales and trade sales, for example?

.Is there a difference between private sales and trade sales, for example?

Perhaps.
I do know that a trader is legally bound to declare a previous damage category.
Not sure about private sellers but being old school, I'd feel morally bound to declare it regardless of legality.

Just an update Bennets sorted it out and they only wanted the bike to have an MOT although I did an HPI to get the date of the previous write off incident The underwriter is Ageas if that helps anyone else :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom