Thread: Cat D insurance

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Cat D insurance

My FireBlade has the log book showing as Cat D
    Will I have issues getting insurance? Anyone with recent experience of this since the categories have now changed? TIA
    Yesterday I dared to struggle Today I dared to win

It’s a simple reclassification, a change of letter:

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/gui...ategory-d-cars

Ring up your insurance provider, tell them what the classification was. They’ll allocate it the new classification and give you a quote... whether you like their reply is another matter entirely.

Thanks for the reply There is very little up to date information out there

One of my bikes is a Cat C. Phoned the insurer before I bought it and they said it didn't matter what it was, so long as the value insured was correct (ie reflecting the fact that it is a lower value being a Cat C).

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I had a few cat c's now cat S & d's now cat N never had a problem...
    As long as you don't pay full resale value of a non insurance right off bike..
    And be aware that when it's time to sell it you again won't get full value back of a non Category bike..
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

value is usually 40% less.

Quote Originally Posted by DING-DONG View Post
    value is usually 40% less.
    I'd question that figure.

Anyway,there's no need for the OP to contact his insurers if the bike is currently insured and was stated Cat D prior to insuring it.
    The new grouping letter will only apply at renewal,and it should be barely, if any, different in premium because it's simply a Cat D by another name.

The only thing that must be done is to declare the category if selling the bike.
    Herr Smogbob's Number One

The level of markdown obviously varies considerably but it's usually a decent chunk.

As for declaring the insurance status at point of sale, I've always believed, as per above, that this was mandatory although I read on another forum that this is not so. I'd do so as a matter of course but the forum mentioned were focusing on an aggrieved buyer who was being chastised for not running an HPI .Is there a difference between private sales and trade sales, for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldie View Post
    .Is there a difference between private sales and trade sales, for example?
    Perhaps.
    I do know that a trader is legally bound to declare a previous damage category.
    Not sure about private sellers but being old school, I'd feel morally bound to declare it regardless of legality.

Not much option if is printed on the log book/V5

Quote Originally Posted by bisbee View Post
    Not much option if is printed on the log book/V5
    Fair enough but there's no need to contact your insurers if it's mid term.

Just an update Bennets sorted it out and they only wanted the bike to have an MOT although I did an HPI to get the date of the previous write off incident The underwriter is Ageas if that helps anyone else