Speedo drive mechanism

jeremyj

Reaction score
Have speedo that is not working wheel off last week cleaned calipers and changed pads, also took speedo drive apart cleaned it greased it and replaced speedo drive cable withdrawn and checked oiled and replaced located drive with inner cable speedo not reading. Just took cable drive off wheel and drive turning as should. It was working before I took wheel off. Any suggestions please.

First check is to make sure the knurled nut holding cable outer to the bottom of the speedo is tight.
Next, disconnect the speedo drive at bottom and put the end into a power drill to check that speedo is working. Make sure the inner is pushed up fully so it is actually located into the speedo correctly of course.
Next, put bike on mainstand and spin front wheel to make sure drive is working.
If these are all ok, it can only be the connection between the drive and the forked end of the cable inner is not as it should be.

also check the big large tabbed washer type thing - drive dog I think BMW call it - in the front wheel.
My broke and stopped the drive. Well, it would register about 1km every 100km.
It is aluminium and easier to get a replacement

Replaced speedo cable but still not working, the only thing I can think of is when I reassembled drive after cleaning and greasing I found some very thin washers the same diameter as the white nylon drive, I put these back in the drive under the nylon can't seem to find a break down of the assembly to check

I once rebuilt a speedo drive metal worm white plastic pinion. About 2 miles down the road the speedo stopped working.
When opened up the nylon gear had melted and scrapped the drive.
I later discovered that moly grease (the stuff I had used) causes nylon to expand. After that I’ve always used white grease or red rubber grease on nylon.

Thanks for that will wait for a thaw to open garage and investigate, just wondering if I put stainless washers in wrong place when i reassembled

Back
Top Bottom