Sharing routes and tracks

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can someone please remind me how to share routes and tracks with a mate that I have planned on basecamp.
Can I mail him a route and he download it to his 660 without basecamp.
If not then how can I send it for him to use basecamp.
Help please. I'm sure I read it somewhere but can't find it now.
Thanks
G

I think you can, i'm sure a friend of mine just dragged the gpx file to his 390's drive (relevant folder) from his PC without using Basecamp.

However I could be wrong, but worth a punt :augie

Send your mate the route by e mail and he can copy and paste it into his GPX folder on the 660 internal memory, whether it will then render exactly the same as yours will depend on the settings and maps being the same as yours.

I would advise sending the route and having the recipient open it in Basecamp or Mapsource. If a copy is then made of the route and the copy route recalculated then you can see if the settings have changed the route. Its then very easy to adjust the copy route to follow the same roads as the original. Often all that is needed is an extra via point. Once this is done the route can be transferred to the device. It is best if the device settings match too. These precautions can save a lot of grief caused by different setting giving different routes.

John

That's brilliant help. Thanks but how do I copy the GPX file to my PC. I'm clicking on the route and copy but it won't paste to the file.
Can anyone explain what shaping points are please. On the right click on a route it asks remove shaping points but I'm not even aware of what these are.
Any answers please. I bet there are more than me looking for help with BC compared with Mapsourse.
Any other routing tips would be a bonus as I start to lean the ropes.
Thanks for you help.

Shaping points do as their name suggests shape the route, they tell the device to go a certain way. Provided that they have been used sensibly when the route was created they will ensure that the shared route remains as intended. The reason I suggest copying and recalculating the route first is that the shaping points would have been put in to force the route on certain roads by the person creating the route. If the settings are even slightly different or the map version is different there is a risk that the route may not transfer as intended.

Further points can be added at that stage to correct this. Shaping points should be placed just after junctions to force the route to take a chosen road. They are for guidance only and the device should no insist on passing through each one. I prefer Mapsource where they are called via points and are, by default, not announced by the device. In Mapsource such via point are, by default, unannounced, I believe that you have to tell Basecamp which ones you want unannounced. Mapsource also shows up thos via points that have been place off the route by showing them as a green dot. This makes spotting those points placed on the wrong side of a dual carriageway easy to spot. If you are using Basecamp I am sure someone else will come along and put you right-for me life is too short and too busy to bother with Basecamp although i know it has its admirers

If I have a particular destination I really want to get to ( maybe a pre booked hotel) I make that a waypoint rather than a via point. That way it goes into "favorites" when I download the route so if plans change I can easily find it and get the device to take me there. Maybe its just my age but I have been know to delete a route by mistake. Having my destination in favorites at least gets me there if not by my chosen route.

John

using basecamp and a pc highlight the route you wish to copy in the bottom window on the left pannel (left click on it ) then go to file at the top left of the main window just below where it says garmin basecamp, left click file and then left click export and then left click export selection and save it where you wish to, then copy it or attach it to your email. hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom