2005 R1150 GSA replacement BATTERY?

Les

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All.
At the risk of opening the floodgates, I'm after a recommendation for a replacement battery for my 2005 1150 GSA.
So is there a consensus of opinion.......

Thanks in advance

L

After years of persevering with Oydessey and Motobatt, yesterday I fitted a 19ah Exide to my 1150, spins over better and I have high hopes....

Good stuff, I've watched a number of threads over the last few weeks and surfed the net too.... there was even a thread going on about the alternator output ( my Helga puts out a steady 13.6 with all the lights on....) am I right in thinking the exude you mention is a standard'ish fit?

Bloody hell, that was a bit of a bummer , I'm sure the scumbags appreciated it had been fettled....

After years of persevering with Oydessey and Motobatt, yesterday I fitted a 19ah Exide to my 1150, spins over better and I have high hopes....

Me too, oem spec every time and it also fits snuggly unlike an Odyssey or Motobatt

Hi im new here,
when i bought my 1150 oilhead after breaking down on he m25..wales to norfolk the same evening in october i found it had two electric vehicle gel batteries wired parallel.!! thats 84 cranking amps per battery.
who would do that i wondered..
Funds were low so i bought a low end battery for £56..i am now paying the price for being a cheapskate and have had issues almost everyday since the cold spell. after surfing the interweb i found the best deal on a EXIDE 19ah @ "motobins".cheaper too.

Exide via Eurocarparts and use one of the regular discount codes they have, with free delivery thrown in.

Half the price of the dealer

just looked on the evil bay , this looks like a bargain ?? any one see a catch ??

eBay item number:182890977415

For some years now I've used Li-Ion lightweight small-size bike batteries with great success, especially in very cold weather. Only trouble is, the Li-Ion battery tender or Intelligent Charger is hard to find and you need to have one 'cos you're Optimate - or similar - for regular old-style batteries won't do the job.
Also some Li-Ion batteries come with a set of foam packing slabs to fill out the space normally taken up by an old-fashioned battery.

And there's a simple solution to the slowing-down effect of very cold weather on a Li-Ion bike battery : - "As a result of their unique chemistry, lithium batteries are known to slow down in cold weather, and will behave as though they are dying (they actually don’t lose power, they just discharge it more slowly.) There is an easy solution for this – simply “warming up” the battery by running the headlights for 30-60 seconds before pressing the starter button."
That works perfectly and then the starter spins a freezing bike motor like gangbusters.
I also follow the maker's tip to unhook the battery neg pole when leaving the bike unused for a month or more. You can buy a simple screw-down switch to mount unobtrusively near the battery so that all you do to disconnect or re-connect is lift the seat and twist the knob.

I like the idea of the isolation switch, I reckon it's an excide 19 ah for Helga.

just looked on the evil bay , this looks like a bargain ?? any one see a catch ??

no catch about that looks the same as the one i bought last year for my 1150 no issues plenty of cranking power just keep it topped up in winter if your not using the bike i have a small solar panel that is just enough to trickle the battery and keep it charged

I'd worry more about the one review saying they received their battery in some other box, with battery acid all over it. :D

I have used both motobatt and exide. I can say both very similar. Go for cheaper one between 2. But If you don't use your bike in winter like me they will let you down in two weeks cold UK weather. I heard odyssey is better but not used.

All lead acids suffer if left unused for long periods. The later glass mat types cope better but service life is damaged

If the bike stands for long periods you are better with a lithium. Cost for a JMT with 240CCA is £65. The Odyssey costs almost double and quotes only 200CCA though it does have a humungous burst current. TBH >500 Amps is academically the starter motor won’t take that sort of clout without melting.

Lithiums are indistinguishable from lead acid in normal use thought they behave differently below 5 degrees C.

should have said looking at the evil bay picture it does say its a exide 12 19 gel for £44,95 inc delivery and in the small writing on the battery says "motobike and sport battery" however alot of the other exide 12 19 gel i can see for sale have " exide bike" written in larger font on the dark blue part of the battery label.

looking at the specs they do seem to be the same battery ? at that price for a OEM battery ( ? ) might be worth one as a spare ? i do however take note as matt pointed out about some of the companies poor feed back !! i guess buyer beware !!!!

After using the same Odyssey for the last 13 years (original battery only lasted 3 years) j have replaced it with an exide gel. I can't say I have noticed any difference bar the fact it now does not die after a few days away from the optimate.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom