Can You Recommend A Good 1 Man Tent?

Taff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need an easy to erect good quality 1 Man tent. I'm 6' tall and like to sleep stretched out. Some space for bike jacket, helmet etc would be useful. :thumb

It doesn't need to be budget - I don't mind paying a bit more for quality.

First off, look for a two man tent unless you really want small pack size and low weight. The extra space is so worth it.

If you are prepared to throw a bit of money at it then there is loads of choice and I mean loads. There are not many bad tents out there once away from the real cheapies, so just go with a mainstream tent as recommended by your nearest tent shop.

It’s hard to go wrong with Vango. Available everywhere and used in every campsite in the uk. Spares and repairs easy to come by and you fit right in.

At the top end you have Terra Nova (uk based if it bothers you), Scandinavian brands like Hilleberg, Helsport, Fjallraven, etc are reassuringly expensive and tend to be well made and designed. If you have the money get one of these. It will last years and other people will suffer from tent envy.

Austin has pretty much nailed it.

I have a 1+ tent - a Terra Nova Solar (which they don't make anymore) and it is a bit tight for space for hemet and bike clothes, especially when wet.

Like he said, look for a 2 man tent. Vango are great and also look at the Terra Nova Voyager and Terra Nova's less expensive range of Wild Country tents. I've had 3 Terra Nova tents, (different sizes) which have performed excellently, 1 over 20 years.

There are loads of really good tents about to fit any budget. Then it just comes down to your preference. You might try going to your nearest Cotswolds shop, or any other shop that displays a wide range of tents. Most places are happy to put up a tent in the shop with you to see how easy it is.

Good luck finding the one that suits you. :thumb

I have a Vango Omega 250 which is a two man tent with plenty of room for a motorcyclist and all his clobber. Can be picked up new for £160.

Used it last year in Iceland and Wales and I'm very pleased with it.

I bent one of the poles slightly and although it straightened out I thought that it would be best to replace it. A new seven section pole over three meters long only cost me £20 delivered direct from Vango.

Hilleberg Akto. Bought one two years ago, used it for 1 night, expensive night. But will try harder this year :)

Vaude Hogan,
can be put up in minutes,inner attached aswell..self supporting..poles hook on the outside of the tent

Hilleberg Akto. Bought one two years ago, used it for 1 night, expensive night. But will try harder this year :)

I had one and used it for one night before selling it :D problem was it pissed down and I had trouble getting soaking bike gear off and myself into bed without getting the sleeping compartment damp, otherwise a great tent which I had high expectations of but for me a touch too small with bike gear in poor weather.

Back
Top Bottom