2017 S1000R

-BR-

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I traded my 2014 R1200GS in against a 7 month old S1000R Sport last Thursday. It's fair to say it's a big change - in terms of size, weight, style, luggage carrying ability and performance. It's just the change I was looking for though - nice to have a different bike with a different set of compromises. I'm sure I'll be on an adventure style bike again at some point, but for now looking forward to using the S1000R for commuting, day trips and longer trips away too.

Unfortunately the weather's been less than ideal every day since I collected it so it's yet to turn a wheel with me other than the 150 miles I did on the day i collected it.

Couple of pictures from last week..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GyJivU]2017 S1000R Sport by Brian Reid, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/F3o2Kn]2017 S1000R Sport by Brian Reid, on Flickr[/URL]

Looks great and will give you lots of fun.

False plates are recommended with this sort of bike though!

Brian,

Nice bike, looks good with the 2017 graphics. I have had one for a couple of years and it still brings a smile each time I get on it. Done about six foreign trips on it so far, including riding to Sahagun, Spain in a single day (long story but I missed the Santander Ferry and had to play catch up :augie).

I find it a very underrated bike that with a few simple additions can do everything you need. I use a metal luggage plate in place of a pillion seat which allows you to attach Kriega US bags or similar; also a Givi tank ring and tank bag set up. The only issue I have with it is that it tends to bring the devil out in me, hence why I tend to use it more on the continent, and the way it can get through tyres, rears especially, if being used hard.

Other than that enjoy .......

Brian,

Nice bike, looks good with the 2017 graphics. I have had one for a couple of years and it still brings a smile each time I get on it. Done about six foreign trips on it so far, including riding to Sahagun, Spain in a single day (long story but I missed the Santander Ferry and had to play catch up :augie).

I find it a very underrated bike that with a few simple additions can do everything you need. I use a metal luggage plate in place of a pillion seat which allows you to attach Kriega US bags or similar; also a Givi tank ring and tank bag set up. The only issue I have with it is that it tends to bring the devil out in me, hence why I tend to use it more on the continent, and the way it can get through tyres, rears especially, if being used hard.

Other than that enjoy .......

Yes it's definitely going to be a lesson in self control. For me the bike just feels totally right though and that's as much the draw as performance or anything else.

Looking into luggage options and think I will just go with a sportrack with my Kriega US-20 on top initially. They are quite a price for a metal rack though!

Yes it's definitely going to be a lesson in self control. For me the bike just feels totally right though and that's as much the draw as performance or anything else.

Looking into luggage options and think I will just go with a sportrack with my Kriega US-20 on top initially. They are quite a price for a metal rack though!

I’m in a similar position to you BR. Currently got an LC GS and recently have been thinking long and hard about whether I should change it. Trouble is, I love the GS and for the riding that I do and the roads that I ride on, it’s pretty much perfect.

Keep looking at the S1R though, along with the MT10, which has some decent offers on at the moment. Don’t suppose you rode one of those did you?

I get where you are coming from Skid. The GS I had was a great bike and I had to think hard about trading it.

I had a shot of an S1R last year though and I was really taken by it - I think a big part of the appeal for me is because it’s so different to the GS. I looked into changing back then but decided to leave it. I was then loaned one for a full day earlier this year when my fork collars were being fitted and that was that really. Didn’t look at an MT10 but that’s really just down to my preference for the S1R rather than anything against the Yamaha. The group tests of the super nakeds seem to suggest it’s a pretty close field with the Tuono often coming out on top- but dealership support means a lot to me.

Have you had a demo run of an S1R yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know where you are coming from; I went 1150gsa s1000r 1200 gsa and k1300r. I wish I still owned all of them. Just the k1300r for now which is awesome. Make sure you set the sag on the s1000r, tosser size people may get need the suspension beefing up.

I know where you are coming from; I went 1150gsa s1000r 1200 gsa and k1300r. I wish I still owned all of them. Just the k1300r for now which is awesome. Make sure you set the sag on the s1000r, tosser size people may get need the suspension beefing up.

Good point - forgot to mention that!

Not hard to do and worthwhile exercise detailed on the S1000R forum. The Hepco & Becker luggage racks are expensive (gone up quite a bit since I got mine) but, well made and solid; plus given the number of R/RR's out there you should be able to sell it easily once you've tired of the bike .......

Try these I organised a couple of purchases at the same, time and they did a deal cheaper than I could find anywhere else at the time £120 IIRC

The Official UK Hepco & Becker Luggage and Accessories website
16 Surfleet Road, Surfleet,
Spalding, Lincolnshire PE11 4AG
Tel. +44(0)1775 680881 / 680580
Fax. +44(0)1775 680860
www.hepco-and-becker-luggage.co.uk

Brian - if you were closer you'd be welcome to try mine to see, as long as it didn't conflict with any of my own trips away.

............. Trouble is, I love the GS and for the riding that I do and the roads that I ride on, it’s pretty much perfect.

Keep looking at the S1R though, along with the MT10, which has some decent offers on at the moment. Don’t suppose you rode one of those did you?

Skid, whilst I am not going to slate the MT10 in any way, as I currently believe all of the MT Yamahas have been a breath of fresh air for them, and represent excellent VFM; if you take the 'new bike hype' aside, you do not hear so much about the MT10 now. Whereas, the S1R has consistently over it's whole model life, been there or thereabouts mentioned in virtually all tests as the one to beat.

Ride it and see what you think; I got it and am still very happy with it. As with all bikes it is a personal thing though :)

As for deals, in the current climate there are tempting deals on any of them, trust me, might not be advertised but they are to be had ...... They are not having a great time and need to sell, plus the weather has hampered the start to the biking season, yet they still have their targets to meet. Good luck with whatever you decide :thumb2

I’m in a similar position to you BR. Currently got an LC GS and recently have been thinking long and hard about whether I should change it. Trouble is, I love the GS and for the riding that I do and the roads that I ride on, it’s pretty much perfect.

If you like the GS, and it’s perfect for the riding/ roads you like, but want more power, surely the S1000XR would be the bike for you?

Good point - forgot to mention that!

Not hard to do and worthwhile exercise detailed on the S1000R forum. The Hepco & Becker luggage racks are expensive (gone up quite a bit since I got mine) but, well made and solid; plus given the number of R/RR's out there you should be able to sell it easily once you've tired of the bike .......

Try these I organised a couple of purchases at the same, time and they did a deal cheaper than I could find anywhere else at the time £120 IIRC

The Official UK Hepco & Becker Luggage and Accessories website
16 Surfleet Road, Surfleet,
Spalding, Lincolnshire PE11 4AG
Tel. +44(0)1775 680881 / 680580
Fax. +44(0)1775 680860
www.hepco-and-becker-luggage.co.uk

Brian - if you were closer you'd be welcome to try mine to see, as long as it didn't conflict with any of my own trips away.

Thanks guys, setting the sag is on my list of things to do this weekend. It's not like I'll get a chance to get out on it given the current weather.

Appreciate the offer of a try of yours - I am a bit out of the way being up in Aberdeen though. Will contact through the details above and see what they can do though. The sportrack does look like the best option for what I need. I see there's a few options for soft panniers etc but really want to avoid anything like that.

As for tiring of the bike - I'm hoping that's a wee while away yet!! :)

Thanks guys, setting the sag is on my list of things to do this weekend. It's not like I'll get a chance to get out on it given the current weather.

Appreciate the offer of a try of yours - I am a bit out of the way being up in Aberdeen though. Will contact through the details above and see what they can do though. The sportrack does look like the best option for what I need. I see there's a few options for soft panniers etc but really want to avoid anything like that.

As for tiring of the bike - I'm hoping that's a wee while away yet!! :)

I tried to set the sag on mine, the front fork adjuster turns fine but the rear seems to come to a stop before it's even turned a quarter of a turn, either in or out. So rather than force it I left it alone. I do find it a little harsh at times so ideally I would like it to be a little softer, I only weigh 12S and believe they are set for around 14S

Has anyone else had this, or am I missing something, I have the ESA and have tried to set it with the engine running, ignition on and ignition off.

Terry

I can only think that maybe you're turning the wrong nut. From memory think they make about ten turns. I read somewhere that the ideal weight for S1000R was 85 kg. I ended up with mind wound right out bar half a turn. I 'fit' the K1300R better, its bit more of a bruiser. I was far more confident throwing the GSA about than the S1000R. Yet to have a summer ride on the K so I'm undecided about that.

I think the S1000R looks better in those colours than the XR.

A very capable bike. I looked at the MT10 seriously, but the woeful tank range, and the cost to turn into a 'tourer' was against it. I think the S1000R scores there.

But - I went for the XR as the better option.

Enjoy the bike!

I tried to set the sag on mine, the front fork adjuster turns fine but the rear seems to come to a stop before it's even turned a quarter of a turn, either in or out. So rather than force it I left it alone. I do find it a little harsh at times so ideally I would like it to be a little softer, I only weigh 12S and believe they are set for around 14S

Has anyone else had this, or am I missing something, I have the ESA and have tried to set it with the engine running, ignition on and ignition off.

Terry

I’ve adjusted the front sag today - need some assistance for the rear but will report back in the next few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the S1000R looks better in those colours than the XR.

A very capable bike. I looked at the MT10 seriously, but the woeful tank range, and the cost to turn into a 'tourer' was against it. I think the S1000R scores there.

But - I went for the XR as the better option.

Enjoy the bike!

Thanks - the XR look a to be a great bike judging by the reviews I’ve watched -definitely one to consider in a few years for me. Does it feel odd having that GS riding position coupled with that engine and performance or is it one of these things that just seems instantly right? Not sure it would compute for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom