TKC70, or...?

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks like a while since anyone mentioned tyres on here! Or oil :blast

Gotta get some new dual sport boots on the GSA this Saturday and will probably go for another set of TKC70 as these have always felt pretty solid on the road (to me anyway) and the tread is just chunky enough to handle some occasional (mostly soft/muddy) trail use.

The current set is down to the limit so really need to change em this weekend, although I could hang on a bit longer if there are any suggestions for a new kick arse dual sports about to be launched?

Or I might just get some ice spikes if this weather carries on :D

Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR

Look them up on the Google machine.
Have them a few weeks now.......getting to really like them.
b3557cbf893edee8939a2e0931a23959.jpg
6829c0c411755e1c2c042fb3b4c86077.jpg

Sent from a U11

After a recommendation from Sgt Bilco, I tried Mitas E07's.
I'm on my 2nd rear and original front and after 10,000m or so of mainly 2 up touring they've still got some life in them.
Very impressed with dry grip on tarmac and adequate for light green laning too.
I will be buying them again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Those Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR sound the biz..... thanks for the suggestion!

I had a set of TKC70 a couple of years ago. Once the honeymoon period of nice new tyres was over I hated them. I cant remember exactly what it was now but these were the only pair of tyres I have binned in years before they were any where near worn out. Avon Trail riders were next (2 fronts, 3 rears), very good, and especially confidence inspiring in the wet, but wore out quite quickly and I got punctures twice (could just be unlucky or could be the tyres) neither of which plugged very well. A Dunlop trailsmart went on the back after the last puncture and that was also a very nice tyre and I am tempted to try a full set. But, I keep going back to Heidenau K60s. The best feature is that they last ages - rear 10-12 thousand, front 18,000+. They have plenty grip in the dry and enough for me in the wet. they also look nice and gnarly. :)

They "look the part" on the bike.
Fantastic grip, wet or dry.
Haven't had them off the tarmac yet.
a8f1b1fa4c7b98bdfbd7f9bb6b55608c.jpg
639ebf198b0607e792c3121d9df7734b.jpg

Sent from a U11

I was happy with TKC-70 though tread life was less than average. The front wore strangely but that turned out to be the front shock absorber.
I prefer the Trail Attack stable at speed and only a little less capable on gravel. Both are rubbish on mud.

Thanks for the pic, exact same bike as mine so no need to imagine what they will look like on the bike!

I was happy with TKC-70 though tread life was less than average. The front wore strangely but that turned out to be the front shock absorber.
I prefer the Trail Attack stable at speed and only a little less capable on gravel. Both are rubbish on mud.

You experienced the same as me and others i have talked to when you say the front wore strangely. It's nothing to do with the shocker it's all to do with the tyre.

After 10,00 miles, like this:

Mine did a high mileage but just look at the wide flat section of the rear tyre when it gets to that stage, it might as well be a slick.
I had little trouble getting the rear to spin up in the wet. It would have gone on but it had to go. The front on mine scalloped very badly getting to the stage
where it was causing the instrument panel to shake badly, still had a reasonable depth of rain groove but that had to go too. I have spoken with others who have
used the TKC70's all experiencing the same wear characteristics. I wouldn't go near them again when there are tyres out there that don't wear like that.

Mitas E07's for instance :thumb2 :D

I've been running the Heidenau K60 Scout and I must say that I'm very well impressed. They offer enough confidence on the road wet or dry, can keep up with sport bikes in the twisties and they're very good offroad.

I would recommend them :)

I've been running the Heidenau K60 Scout and I must say that I'm very well impressed. They offer enough confidence on the road wet or dry, can keep up with sport bikes in the twisties and they're very good offroad.

Almost identical to Mitas E07's in appearance and what people say about them...probably come down to which is cheaper to buy and/or availability.
Need to find someone that has used both.
One thing to mention is Mitas offer the Dakar version with a stiffer carcase, meant to be more puncture resistant. They are bloody tough to fit too.

Almost identical to Mitas E07's in appearance and what people say about them...probably come down to which is cheaper to buy and/or availability.
Need to find someone that has used both.
One thing to mention is Mitas offer the Dakar version with a stiffer carcase, meant to be more puncture resistant. They are bloody tough to fit too.

Heidenau's are great tyres and last well. The thing that puts me off them on the 150 (rear) fitment is the broad band up the centre
which the 150 Mitas does have but no where near as wide. This band imo compromises to some degree the grip in loose surface conditions
as compared to the E07. That said, my buddy has run the K60's for thousands of miles, loves them and goes anywhere i do without a problem.
In the end it comes down to what you feel confident/comfortable with. The Mitas being cheaper than the K60's is also a factor in my choice.

You experienced the same as me and others i have talked to when you say the front wore strangely. It's nothing to do with the shocker it's all to do with the tyre.

Mine did a high mileage but just look at the wide flat section of the rear tyre when it gets to that stage, it might as well be a slick.
I had little trouble getting the rear to spin up in the wet. It would have gone on but it had to go. The front on mine scalloped very badly getting to the stage
where it was causing the instrument panel to shake badly, still had a reasonable depth of rain groove but that had to go too. I have spoken with others who have
used the TKC70's all experiencing the same wear characteristics. I wouldn't go near them again when there are tyres out there that don't wear like that.

Mitas E07's for instance :thumb2

Fair enough about the front TKC70’s crazy wear pattern.
I replaced my TKC with a Trail Attack II. The front end vibration was better (tyres are balanced) but not much.

Both shocks were replaced soon after - both ends worn out but not leaking.

The ride was stiffer, giving more road impact (GS shocks against GSA/ESA). High speed vibration at front end stopped. So the old shock was certainly pattering.

Conti say the TAs have the same compound as the TKC70. This time, I have hardly any scalloping at the tread block trailing edges. TA is nearly done.

Previously every front tyre has worn seriously at the back edges making a stepped appearance.
So my conclusion is that my front end vibration was poor high speed damping allowing the wheel to patter. I have no idea how long that was going on. Many thousands of miles for sure.

Sadly I didn’t fit another TKC when the new shock went on. But the reduced scalloping of every tread block on the TA makes me suspicious the shock has been a problem for a very long time.

The GSA seems to cope very well with worn suspension. I replaced front and back because front had 60K and back was bouncing. With lightly used GS shocks there was no revelation in better handling. Improved certainly but not really the step change I’d expected.

I suspect many people are riding GSs with a pattering front end. Not enough to be dangerous but certainly enough to affect tyre tread life.

Fair enough about the front wear.
I replaced the crazily worn TKC with a Trail Attack II. The front end vibration was hardly any better (tyres are balanced).
Both shocks were replaced soon after as rear was knackered and kicking back. The ride was stiffer (GS shocks against GSA ESA). High speed vibration at front end stopped though there was more road impact due to harder springs etc.
The TAs have the same compound as the TKC70 and this time have hardly any scalloping at the tread block trailing edges. Previously every tyre has worn seriously at the back edges making a stepped appearance.
So my conclusion is that my front end vibration was poor high speed damping allowing the wheel to patter.
Sadly I didn’t fit another TKC when the new shock went on. But the reduced scalloping of every tread block makes me suspicious the shock is part of the problem.

Perhaps, in your case then, that was so.

Someone who used to race bikes, train people for trackdays and was also a bit of a suspension guru told me that “cupping” at the front was due to braking in corners. Since then I have tried not to brake too deeply into corners and I don’t get much cupping now. Dunno if it’s just coincidence or not.

Someone who used to race bikes, train people for trackdays and was also a bit of a suspension guru told me that “cupping” at the front was due to braking in corners. Since then I have tried not to brake too deeply into corners and I don’t get much cupping now. Dunno if it’s just coincidence or not.

With me, all braking takes place before the corner, unless i feck up :D

Perhaps, in your case then, that was so.

I have no idea. Sadly I didn’t fit a TKC70 when the new front shock went on.
I do suspect the OEM front damping at short suspension movements is not as well controlled as it could be. Some tyres cope, others don’t.

Guess this is probably correct in most instanceswith road biased tyres,however,When the tread is in a more open block as most of the adventure bike tyres are the more flex and wear of the individual block will occur,one block will have maximum deflection as the next has minimum. It’s natural for these type of tyres to wear in this fashion .
The adv bike tyres that don’t suffer this generally have a far stiffer construction.
The tkc 70 uses a similar carcass the the trail attack,ie very flexible.
It’s inevitable the treads will wear uneavenly it’s a flexible tyre with a softish compound .
The payoff is outstanding grip wet or dry.

Back
Top Bottom