Plusnet Vs Apple

JH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have asked for help before here and have a period of reasonable service. But recently I am having problems connecting between my MacBook Pro and Plusnet Router. It seems that whatever the encryption is when they exchange info is, is corrupting and causing issues such that it becomes a problem to get anything to work over WiFi.

When I run a Diagnostics it tells me a variety of issues, but the one I think is pertinent is the 'The following nearby networks conflict with your current country code (GB)'. When I run a speed test if I get a connection it is routing me through BT America and the Servers are all in the US. I have googled and have checked settings on my computer 'location services' enabled. My Time Zone/Clock shows my location etc. The only problem I have is if I open Goole Maps for instance, it does not find my location. It asks for permission, which I allow, although it is authorised within settings. Then the maps will work.

Somewhere there is a conflict and it is as though my ISP or Router are not able to fully communicate with my device. I cannot fathom this. Other devices not so bad by a long stretch but do have connection issues, especially when first coming back into the wifi zone. All of the mobile devices are Apple but I do have other stuff that is not Apple and works via wifi.

Any one with any ideas?

Be aware in a browser you can set your geo location to fool the browser into thinking you are somewhere else - I use it for a clients website as we present different language versions based on geo location. Personally this is USA thing is a red herring. If you can connect to do tests then it is in fact connecting. Either the Plusnet router is flakey or you may have some wierd redirect malware type probelm on your mac (a rare occurance in my experience). However. Download and run malware bytes on your mac to ensure its clean.

Check firmware of router and upgrade if necesary.

If it were me for more help - fully explain whats going on. - It sounds like your getting occasional internet access rather than no internet access? The diagnostic tool on mac and widows is pretty poor as there are more variables than they can test.

If you explain more about if your getting a consistent wifi connection on you mac to router - open network preferences and see if your getting green connection all the time to wifi - this proves your machine to router is good.

Then - can you surf web? Plusnet and BT have been having problems of late with DNS (the way traffic gets routed) and you maybe having this problem off and on.

Hope this helps - good luck

Be aware in a browser you can set your geo location to fool the browser into thinking you are somewhere else - I use it for a clients website as we present different language versions based on geo location. Personally this is USA thing is a red herring. If you can connect to do tests then it is in fact connecting. Either the Plusnet router is flakey or you may have some wierd redirect malware type probelm on your mac (a rare occurance in my experience). However. Download and run malware bytes on your mac to ensure its clean.

Check firmware of router and upgrade if necesary.

If it were me for more help - fully explain whats going on. - It sounds like your getting occasional internet access rather than no internet access? The diagnostic tool on mac and widows is pretty poor as there are more variables than they can test.

If you explain more about if your getting a consistent wifi connection on you mac to router - open network preferences and see if your getting green connection all the time to wifi - this proves your machine to router is good.

Then - can you surf web? Plusnet and BT have been having problems of late with DNS (the way traffic gets routed) and you maybe having this problem off and on.

Hope this helps - good luck

Tomorrow's job - I am too hacked off tonight. But appreciate the tips. It is so bad that I can spend 15/20 mins trying to get a wifi connection. Then it might be great, or it might drop and not re-connect for another 10 mins. Today the signal was so intermittent that I plugged in via an ethernet cable to run speed tests as required by Plusnet. Captured them and then went to go onto further diagnostics and entered my telephone number so as to send them the info - It kept failing - #2032 Fault code. So I can only send them info when the thing is working properly - so frustrating.

I'll have a little sleep for now before I break something ....

Tomorrow's job - I am too hacked off tonight. But appreciate the tips. It is so bad that I can spend 15/20 mins trying to get a wifi connection. Then it might be great, or it might drop and not re-connect for another 10 mins. Today the signal was so intermittent that I plugged in via an ethernet cable to run speed tests as required by Plusnet. Captured them and then went to go onto further diagnostics and entered my telephone number so as to send them the info - It kept failing - #2032 Fault code. So I can only send them info when the thing is working properly - so frustrating.

I'll have a little sleep for now before I break something ....

It has a feel of the DNS problem I experienced a few weeks back.

Not an ideal solution but a frustrating but put up with fix.

When you loose connection power off router and restart - this regenerates the connection from your router to plusnet/internet and DNS routing - do this and see if your connection "comes back" if it does you know its router/plusnet - not mac related. Feedback and will try and help further - after you get some kip!

I realise that this is no help, but we only use Macs and we have Plusnet and no issues.

We are on Fibre broadband out in the sticks, if that makes any difference.

I had a wifi problem a while back, kept dropping, changed the router and everything worked perfect, old router was 2 years old only.

Can you connect the computer direct to the router, not using wifi?

Tom

Some Anti Virus ie Kaspersky have a secure connection facility which again gives a different geo position for security but doesn't cause me any issues other than some sites are fooled into a different language Paypal etc.
Might be worth checking and turning off.

It has a feel of the DNS problem I experienced a few weeks back.

Not an ideal solution but a frustrating but put up with fix.

When you loose connection power off router and restart - this regenerates the connection from your router to plusnet/internet and DNS routing - do this and see if your connection "comes back" if it does you know its router/plusnet - not mac related. Feedback and will try and help further - after you get some kip!

I've just looked up what DNS etc is and this sounds about right. Sometimes when I open the network preferences to see what is going on, I can see that the computer is connected to the internet however it does not have an IP address and therefore cannot work. If I click on the network again it will re-try, but often fail until one of us gives up! It either connects or I go off and do something else.

I have tried to research the best settings - but I am not sure - on diagnostics it asks me to enter the correct IPv6 settings manually. But I don't know what these should be. Where could I find these?

Thanks.....

I realise that this is no help, but we only use Macs and we have Plusnet and no issues.

We are on Fibre broadband out in the sticks, if that makes any difference.

No it is useful as there is a lot on the web about BT/Plusnet router conflicts with Apple stuff. I too am rural, last telephone line on my particular exchange; rural and also on Fibre to cabinet, then copper to the house about 1.5km away.

Thanks ...

Yes,

But when I have been running speed tests as requested by ISP on their BT site, I have switched off nearby wifi devices, then connected by ethernet cable and run the tests. Then once I have obtained a speed test (during periods of instability) I then go onto 'further diagnostics' enter my landline number so they can associate the test with my line, and it fails!! Returns Error #2032 and then asks me to refresh and re-run. This is frustrating as it means they can only get my results when the line is stable, never when I am having issues .......

:augie

Back
Top Bottom