Adding a new SD card to the Nav V

ste.j

Reaction score
Call me stupid but can someone run through the procedure for changing the 8gb sd card that is in my sat nav to a 32gb card that I have recently purchased. Since buying the bike last year from new I have not even opened the back up to get at the sd card. Basically what I'm asking is can I just open it up, access the sd card, remove it, replace it with 32gb sd card then close it up again or do I have to transfer any files etc. I will be putting some music on the card 1st. Step by step would be great please as I am not hugely tech savvy.

I have started a new thread for you, otherwise your question is lost in a thread about a bod’s maps being stored twice.

Open up the device.

Take the old card out.

Put in the new card.

How to find the card etc is in the owner’s handbook

You’ll need to add (transfer) whatever files you want to use - be they music, maps or whatever, it makes no difference - onto the new card, they won’t jump there magically.

Lots of threads on how to do it all and lots of self help videos, too.

Here’s something to get you going:

There is no printed user manual with my BMW Motorrad Navigator V. Where can I find it?

Connect your Navigator V to your computer using the USB cable supplied. You will find the user manual in PDF format in the OwnersManual directory. You can also find it in the Downloads area of this homepage:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/...avigation2014/faq/faq_overview.html&notrack=1

Is it possible to extend the memory in the BMW Motorrad Navigator V?

Yes. The unit is fitted with a microSD slot for cards of up to 64GB (SDXC card). This memory can be used both for additional cards and for storing MP3s. Please ensure that SD cards are FAT32 formatted. The exFAT format is not supported.

What is the maximum size of memory card that can be used with the BMW Motorrad Navigator V?

The unit is fitted with a microSD slot for cards of up to 64GB (SDXC card). This memory can be used both for additional cards and for storing MP3s. Please ensure that SD cards are FAT32 formatted. The exFAT format is not supported.

This, too:

http://mail.ukgser.com/forums/showt...r-V-and-probably-other-similar-Garmin-devices

Ste, it lives under the battery ... and can be popped out after releasing it (push with a fingernail)
If you ever shop at Costco they have 64Gb ones for approx £17

Let us know if you have trouble copying / pasting your MP3’s onto it ...

I've just formatted a 64 card to FAT32 and copied files over, reloaded into Garmin and all seems fine

So, if you have a Windows 10 PC, then trying to format a 64GB SD card will mean you can only select exFAT as a formatting option.
This won't work in the Navigator V as it needs to be FAT32.
You have two options :
1) use a 32GB card instead which can be formatted to FAT32 in Windows
or
2) use one of the Windows special utilities such as PowerShell.

To use PowerShell, type PowerShell where it says Type here to search at the bottom Left Hand Side of your screen.
Next, use Windows explorer to find the drive letter of your SD card slot. For mine, it is D which is pretty normal. You will see the drive letter next to the name of the SD card in Windows Explorer.

Now type the following, being very exact. Nothing can go wrong, but nothing will happen if a minor spelling mistake is made.
For my SD card, the drive is (D:)
so I typed :
format /FS:FAT32 D:
Note the space between format and /
also the need for a : after D

If your drive letter is different, e.g. E, then type format /FS:FAT32 E:

It takes a very long time, about a minute for each 1%, so you will only see 0% completed for a minute or two, but come back in 5 minutes and this should have changed to 5%. Expect the whole process to take nearly 2 hours.

OK, after I clicked Post Reply, the forum software substituted : ) with a smiley.

What I typed in was ( D : )

Hope this doesn't get changed into a smiley as well !

Apparently PowerShell doesn't work for everyone.

You can get to the end and see a message The volume is too big for FAT32.
Format failed.

If this happens to you, use the internet to find and download RUFUS. This will successfully format the card in a few seconds and MapInstall will recognise the SD Card and put the maps on it.

Back
Top Bottom