Transferred routes different

Not for me it wasn't and it wasn't for the vast majority of people who had the issue. The missing North and South thing was a big miss by Garmin

I don't doubt that. It was all part of a major cock up at Garmin. The reason I mentioned my experience was that it is possible that the OP had the same issue with just parts of the maps missing. This was very difficult to spot as the device just said it had both maps. Many others could have had the same issue without knowing it as it would only show up then you actually rode in those missing areas or tried to plot detailed routes in them. Later updates fixed the problem so we will never know how many had missing segments. In my case the map ran out as I was leaving Calais, had I been on a longer trip and not just a one day booze run then I would have run back into detailed maps further south. Luckily I had an openstreetmaps version on the device.

John

Absolutely clearly NOT.

Anyway, the latest Map version is 2018.30 so both Basecamp and the device need updating :D

I think you may find the latest nt map for the 660 is 2018.20 and the latest ntu map for the newer devices is as you say 2018.30

If you have the maps installed on your sd card ensure that the card is still being read by the unit, easy way to tell is go to tools then settings and then map and look under map info you should see cn europe nt 2018.20 and possibly cn europe nt 2018.20 3d, if you dont see that post up what you have, i

I think this might hold the answer.

It looks a lot like the base map, not the detailed map, which would explain the straight lines.

OP can you share one of your problematic route files with us, please. Host it on something like DropBox.

OP any chance of you sharing the file?

But if you look at the French route, it looks like it is using a base map, therefore maps may not be a red herring, if you do not have all the maps, the route will show on the base map for the country. It can't map a route to something that is not loaded.

FFS I clearly said that different maps were a red herring. As I pointed out my real world experience taught me that using different versions of Garmin maps does not cause such problems. You then go on to agree with my point about the consequences of sections of the map being missing.!!! Yes it could be that the OP only has a basemap for that area but it could also be that, for whatever reason, the device had not calculated the route. From what he said about all the other routes working it seems unlikely that he is missing the whole of one mapset which is why I mentioned the fact that there was a time when map updates missed small sections at random.

We are,I hope, all trying to help the OP. He has provided rather more info than many who post such questions but we are all to some extent working in the dark. More info from the OP is required I think.

Has he zoomed in on the maps on his device to check map detail? This will confirm that he has full mapping
Has he asked the device to recalculate the offending route? Usually when a route appears as straight lines it means it has not been calculated. This applies both on the device and on a computer.

Any news from the OP?

John

FFS I clearly said that different maps were a red herring. As I pointed out my real world experience taught me that using different versions of Garmin maps does not cause such problems. You then go on to agree with my point about the consequences of sections of the map being missing.!!! Yes it could be that the OP only has a basemap for that area but it could also be that, for whatever reason, the device had not calculated the route. From what he said about all the other routes working it seems unlikely that he is missing the whole of one mapset which is why I mentioned the fact that there was a time when map updates missed small sections at random.

We are,I hope, all trying to help the OP. He has provided rather more info than many who post such questions but we are all to some extent working in the dark. More info from the OP is required I think.

Has he zoomed in on the maps on his device to check map detail? This will confirm that he has full mapping
Has he asked the device to recalculate the offending route? Usually when a route appears as straight lines it means it has not been calculated. This applies both on the device and on a computer.

Any news from the OP?

John

I think you are both right........ the difference between, say, 2018.10 and 2018.20 should be minimal (they both use the same lat and long datum after all.... or do they?) but in this case it certainly does like like he has a minimalist base map on his GPS and the difference is then significant.

Try looking at one of your own routes in Basecamp but select the global map to see how far out it is.

Anyway, as you have already asked; what news from the OP?

I think you are both right........ the difference between, say, 2018.10 and 2018.20 should be minimal (they both use the same lat and long datum after all.... or do they?) but in this case it certainly does like like he has a minimalist base map on his GPS and the difference is then significant.

Try looking at one of your own routes in Basecamp but select the global map to see how far out it is.

Anyway, as you have already asked; what news from the OP?

To me it looks like he does have maps, it is only the route that straight lines . A basemap has straight lines between towns, the one shown on the screen shot does not. My guess is that the route has not been calculated for whatever reason.

I don't use basecamp but am well aware of what a base map looks like both on the computer and on a device.

John

Any news from the OP?

John

If the maps are not there, how can the device show the route. If you bother to read other zumo forums, you will see, that there are very few if any people that have experienced just missing parts, most are down to maps not loaded. But if you want to be a knob carry on.

If the maps are not there, how can the device show the route. If you bother to read other zumo forums, you will see, that there are very few if any people that have experienced just missing parts, most are down to maps not loaded. But if you want to be a knob carry on.

Well this knob has just looked at the base map for the area shown on the OPs screenshot! I suggest you do the same. You will see that the level of detail on the base map is nowhere near that shown on the OPs screen. I think we can conclude that whatever the problem is it is not that the OP has a basemap

As to your question asking how a device can show a route if the maps are not there. Basically if there are no maps it will try to plot a route using the basemap. If small sections are missing it will calculate up to the missing section, try to use the basemap for the missing section and then continue with the route once it is back on a detailed map. How do I know this? Well I guess 15 years of experience using various Garmin devices has rubbed off (good for us knobs!) I think I also mentioned my years of experience downloading routes for our hotel guests. In all I have downloaded routes several thousand times. I had to learn how to cope with all devices and all levels of user knowledge. I learned how to construct routes that worked for all. I learned that because of the nature of the roads in Alpine Austria I could do things that might not work in the UK. For instance I could use waypoints along the route safe in the knowledge that there was no alternative route so people would, for instance, have to pass a national border at a certain point. Back in the UK I tend to use few waypoints. I learned about what can go wrong and how to deal with it.

When I had the problem of missing sections my 390 behaved just as I described above. There were in fact, sections missing in Kent but because I knew the roads they caused no problems. All I noticed was that for a while the arrival time was nonsense.

I think I am approaching this problem in a constructive manner and attempting to help the OP. And you?

John

Wee update
Uploaded the new maps 2018.30 to nav v and it started to do routes properly
Can’t upload 2018.30 to ZUMO 660 as it wont be available till summer so stuck with 2018.20 and it wont transfer the routes properly
Stranger thing is that if I transfer the routes with Mapsourse it works ok on 660

So think it must be to do with basecamp

Wee update
Can’t upload 2018.30 to ZUMO 660 as it wont be available till summer so stuck with 2018.20 and it wont transfer the routes properly
Stranger thing is that if I transfer the routes with Mapsourse it works ok on 660

Glad you got it sorted, just carry on with Mapsource! It works with the Nav V as well.

John

Wee update

There is no logical reason why a route should not transfer properly from BaseCamp to a 660, irrespective of the full map set number.

You are not 'stuck with' 2018.20. It's fine; Garmin simply update the maps separately. Some devices get more map updates than others. The world does not stop as a consequence. If you are really - and needlessly - troubled by the disparity in the numbers, use Open Street Maps.

Anyway, all that aside, you've found the cause of your problem: The detailed map not being installed. So all is well.

:beerjug:

There is no logical reason why a route should not transfer properly from BaseCamp to a 660, irrespective of the full map set number.

You are not 'stuck with' 2018.20. It's fine; Garmin simply update the maps separately. Some devices get more map updates than others. The world does not stop as a consequence. If you are really - and needlessly - troubled by the disparity in the numbers, use Open Street Maps.

Anyway, all that aside, you've found the cause of your problem: The detailed map not being installed. So all is well.

:beerjug:

The screenshot proved that, at least for that small area, he had a detailed map so I don't think we "know" any such thing. The fact that the route works when Mapsource is used also points to a different problem. I don't suppose we shall ever know for sure. But it is working, surely that is what matters.
John

Hi all

Thanks for your input and thoughts
After one good route the same fault returned i contacted garmin who on the third attempt and after 2,5hrs of telephone calls (they were baffled also) told me to delete all routes from basecamp also delete all routes from the nav v,uninstall basecamp,reinstall 2018.30 maps to the nav v then reinstall basecamp
I did all this and touch wood the next three routes all worked fine
To give garmin there due they were as baffled as me and if this had not worked asked me to send them a route so they could try it there side ,it would just be better if you could get a call back from the same person rather than describe the problem and go through it all 3 times with different people

Maybe I should just stick to old faithful mapsourse instead of trying to teach an old dog new tricks

Thanks all again

Tbh, that’s a stock response from Garmin, delete and reinstall. Over and over, takes some determination to get off that particular Ferris wheel if a real problem(hw)exists.
Hope you get it sorted

Hi all

Thanks for your input and thoughts
After one good route the same fault returned i contacted garmin who on the third attempt and after 2,5hrs of telephone calls (they were baffled also) told me to delete all routes from basecamp also delete all routes from the nav v,uninstall basecamp,reinstall 2018.30 maps to the nav v then reinstall basecamp
I did all this and touch wood the next three routes all worked fine
To give garmin there due they were as baffled as me and if this had not worked asked me to send them a route so they could try it there side ,it would just be better if you could get a call back from the same person rather than describe the problem and go through it all 3 times with different people

Maybe I should just stick to old faithful mapsourse instead of trying to teach an old dog new tricks

Thanks all again

Stick with it- you’ll master it soon enough.
I just sent out a GDB file to our club ride leaders for the coming year (we had a lot of hassle with .GPX files in the past) and one out of 11 of the couldn’t import the files to Basecamp. No error messages - ir just didn’t happen.

After a lot of experimentation I sent him the GPX file and it worked! :nenau

I confess I was on the verge of telling him to reinstall Basecamp and still have no idea what’s wrong.

Tbh, that’s a stock response from Garmin, delete and reinstall. Over and over, takes some determination to get off that particular Ferris wheel if a real problem(hw)exists.
Hope you get it sorted

This is exactly my point about the difference in support between Mapsource and Basecamp. If I were to have a serious problem with my Mapsource I would just re install it. I don't risk losing routes etc because Mapsource stores them on my PC and not within itself. I can see no difference between this and the Garmin approach to support for Basecamp-except that I would not have to waste hours on the phone!

I understand the point that Basecamp is still being updated to correct bugs or to improve its usability, but that is a different issue. By the time Mapsource development stopped it had become a pretty reliable tool. I and many other users, know what it does and how to use it. We know how to set up the newer Garmin devices to work with Mapsource.

As I have said many times before Mapsource does all I need and I find it much easier to use. I don't doubt that there are features of Basecamp that others value. As long as we get the results we expect does it matter which system anyone uses?

John

Hi its probably not the answer you need, but I had real difficulties with Basecamp and just abandoned it completely. I downloaded the free app 'tyre' which works very well to plot your routes and saves them to your computer in any format you wish. then a quick transfer to your Garmin. I have recently bought the next version of Tyre, which is actually called 'my route app' which is a specific design for bikes and riding. Also it has a further app which is the actually navigation app for your phone etc (if you wish to have back up on your phone as well as your garmin, for instance. Seems a good set up so far. Basecamp drove me to frustration!! Good luck either way. Alistair

Hi its probably not the answer you need, but I had real difficulties with Basecamp and just abandoned it completely. I downloaded the free app 'tyre' which works very well to plot your routes and saves them to your computer in any format you wish. then a quick transfer to your Garmin. I have recently bought the next version of Tyre, which is actually called 'my route app' which is a specific design for bikes and riding. Also it has a further app which is the actually navigation app for your phone etc (if you wish to have back up on your phone as well as your garmin, for instance. Seems a good set up so far. Basecamp drove me to frustration!! Good luck either way. Alistair

I have used Tyre a lot, I used it to create routes for those with Tomtom devices. I found it no easier to use than Mapsource. I prefer to use systems that use the same maps as my device anyway.

John

Back
Top Bottom