Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dublin to Skibbereen and back

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    I love the stretch of road outside Castledermot
    Cracking bit of road alright

Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    going straight on at the Sally Gap crossroads means you miss out on riding alongside Lough Tay on the Sally Gap (possibly the best view the Wicklow mountains has to offer)
    Good point well made
    I was only trying to save them from the M/N11 for as long as possible....
    Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !

Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often.

Last Of The V8 Interceptors Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by landmarkjohn View Post
    Leaving Dublin at midday to enjoy an evening in Skibbereen it would be motorway all the way to Cork for me I'm afraid, no messing about! M7 J14 Mayfield is a food/service option about an hour from the port (might be a bit soon but I'm not sure of M8 food options). 2 barrier tolls, €1 each, guy in front pays with a €2 coin (eggs and suck, forgive me). After the first toll the motorway splits, keep left M8.

You arrive on the north east side of Cork and then through the tunnel (there is only one) onto the link road to head to west Cork and this section will be busy with the Friday exodus. If you get to Skibbereen too early you can take a spin out the road for a bit of scenery....... or just check in and head straight to the bar

Welcome, safe riding and hope to see you there. https://goo.gl/maps/eCspZCMNaKS2
    Surprisingly easy to miss that exit, and rectifying the error might cost you an hour or more...

I don't think I ever bettered 5 hours Dublin to West Cork (in a car) in the four years I worked there - Schull, Baltimore, Kinsale.

Until what time is food available at the hotel? I'm expecting we won't get there until at least about 18.30hrs, assuming we get off the ferry handy, traffic is OK and we don't get lost.

Thanks for the comments fellas

Quote Originally Posted by fatal View Post
    Until what time is food available at the hotel?
    I'm sure Geraldine will be along shortly with a definitive answer but - Skibereen is way west so the sun doesn't set until much later than you're used to & people stay up much later too

On a more serious note they were still serving at 21.00 when we were down for the recce

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusMC View Post
    Surprisingly easy to miss that exit
    Did that myself recently
    Was happily sailing down the road thinking "wonder where that big road goes.., oh SH1T !!
    And yes, the reroute through Rathdowney isn't the fastest way to get south

Quote Originally Posted by Jockser View Post
    ..... then take the old road south (brown sign saying "Alternative Route) - N77 to Durrow & then R639 all the way to Fermoy to rejoin Gerry's route. You'll pass through all the small towns but it's way more interesting & entertaining than the dreaded motorway.

I'd leave The Vee until your return journey....
    Yes the old Cork road beats the motorway (on a GS more so) & saving the Vee for Sunday makes sense. If using the old route or the motorway you can head for Mallow from Mitchelstown, rather than heading for Fermoy.
    It will not take much longer than the main drag - given Fri evening traffic around Cork - & it will put a bigger smile on your little face.
    Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see - Arthur Schopenhauer

Gerry C

What's the Vee?

What's the Vee?
    http://www.clogheen.net/see-do/the-vee/
    Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see - Arthur Schopenhauer

Gerry C

Thanks Gerry, might try to have a look at this on the way back to Dublin. I suppose it will be busy on a Sunday.

I suppose it will be busy on a Sunday.
    Nowhere near as busy as a similar 'attraction' would be in UK on a Sunday. For one thing, there's no cafe at the top

Cruel, but funny

Following these route ideas with interest and will probably head the same way ish on the Friday. However, as we are travelling over to Belfast from Cairnryan on the Thursday via an early start (C 0800hrs) we'll be looking for a hotel or bnb around an hour south west of Dub, maybe in the Portlaoise area? Somewhere with a bit of music and craic would be good, or is that every pub in Ireland?
    Anyway, suggestions are invited from the parish!

Hey Scot Boxer if your'e looking for somewhere to stay might I suggest the small village of Kilcullen , there is a fantastic B&B called No5 Bed and Breakfast (check out the reviews on booking.com) It's run by my neighbour Dave and he has had bikers from all over the world stay there. The village is about an hour or so from Dublin has some great bars which serve good food and you are not far from the Wicklow Gap /Glendalough which has great roads to and from. If this rocks your boat and you want someone to show you around I'm off that Thursday and would be happy to meet up with ye.

Cheers
    Dub 24

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotboxer View Post
    Following these route ideas with interest and will probably head the same way ish on the Friday. However, as we are travelling over to Belfast from Cairnryan on the Thursday via an early start (C 0800hrs) we'll be looking for a hotel or bnb around an hour south west of Dub, maybe in the Portlaoise area? Somewhere with a bit of music and craic would be good, or is that every pub in Ireland?
    Anyway, suggestions are invited from the parish!
    Are you getting the 8am Stena ex Cairnryan Scotboxer? If so you will arrive in Belfast at about 10-30am which is good as you will miss the morning traffic. It's 310 miles from Belfast to Skibbereen so I thought about cutting that in half and seeing where you would end up then look about accommodation.
    Belfast to Birr is 158 miles leaving a further 149 to Skibbereen on the Friday. Birr is a small enough town but you should find a couple of decent enough bars there.

The only motorways on this route are the first 10 miles out of Belfast, a dual carriageway/motorway to Dundalk, a few miles on the M6 in the midlands and the bypass of Limerick. The rest is national roads through little towns and villages. Tea and food stops are plentiful and everywhere here, like Scotland, is "bike friendly" whatever the hell that is.

The Garmin file is attached below, assuming that is that you use a Garmin gps.

Here are a few room options but I'm sure that booking.com etc will offer much more.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Quote Originally Posted by dub 24 View Post
    Hey Scot Boxer if your'e looking for somewhere to stay might I suggest the small village of Kilcullen , there is a fantastic B&B called No5 Bed and Breakfast (check out the reviews on booking.com) It's run by my neighbour Dave and he has had bikers from all over the world stay there. The village is about an hour or so from Dublin has some great bars which serve good food and you are not far from the Wicklow Gap /Glendalough which has great roads to and from. If this rocks your boat and you want someone to show you around I'm off that Thursday and would be happy to meet up with ye.

Cheers
    Dub 24
    Thanks for the info and the kind offer, Dub. We'll be there on the Friday to do the Wicklow Gap, the Vee etc en route to West Cork. The plan is to head back over a few days and do some of the WAW while we're there, so the eastern stuff will need to be done first.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan1150 View Post
    Are you getting the 8am Stena ex Cairnryan Scotboxer? If so you will arrive in Belfast at about 10-30am which is good as you will miss the morning traffic. It's 310 miles from Belfast to Skibbereen so I thought about cutting that in half and seeing where you would end up then look about accommodation.
    Belfast to Birr is 158 miles leaving a further 149 to Skibbereen on the Friday. Birr is a small enough town but you should find a couple of decent enough bars there.

The only motorways on this route are the first 10 miles out of Belfast, a dual carriageway/motorway to Dundalk, a few miles on the M6 in the midlands and the bypass of Limerick. The rest is national roads through little towns and villages. Tea and food stops are plentiful and everywhere here, like Scotland, is "bike friendly" whatever the hell that is.

The Garmin file is attached below, assuming that is that you use a Garmin gps.

Here are a few room options but I'm sure that booking.com etc will offer much more.
    We are on that very ferry Aidan! Many thanks for the advice and the route. That's a pint I owe you. I assume you'll be there again this year? I'll mull over your suggestion and talk it over with travelling companion Dave. I was thinking of taking the direct but boring route around Dublin and then doing the Vee etc on the Friday, with the possibility of doubling back a bit to nip through the Wicklow Gap first. Decisions, decisions!

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotboxer View Post
    Thanks for the info and the kind offer, Dub. We'll be there on the Friday to do the Wicklow Gap, the Vee etc en route to West Cork. The plan is to head back over a few days and do some of the WAW while we're there, so the eastern stuff will need to be done first.

We are on that very ferry Aidan! Many thanks for the advice and the route. That's a pint I owe you. I assume you'll be there again this year? I'll mull over your suggestion and talk it over with travelling companion Dave. I was thinking of taking the direct but boring route around Dublin and then doing the Vee etc on the Friday, with the possibility of doubling back a bit to nip through the Wicklow Gap first. Decisions, decisions!
    You are very welcome and after talking it over with Dave let us know what you'd like to do and between us we'll do up a route for you. That route above would do for your return journey depending on your available time etc.

Unfortunately we won't be able to get to the event this year as the daughter is getting married in San Francisco on the Friday but I'll be thinking of youse.
    {Aye right }
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast