New R1250RT ?

Tried an RT1250 today, what a lovely bike. Ride was smooth as anything, power good, ergonomics good. I even managed to pair my scala headset to the radio on the bike.

Managed some filtering and it seemed to filter OK for a big girl.

Just need to get one ordered now ..

43999531180_36a4586183_b.jpg

RBW.

What do you ride at the moment?

Forgot to ask on the other forum you posted on, but when you test rode the one at CW, did you find the gearbox any smoother into first. Or do you still feel the need to switch the engine off at traffic lights, so there is no clunk?

Thanks, will have a test ride to see, although it will be better than my 2014 bike, which is a huge clunk into 1st

Yes, the gearbox of the later 1200 wetheads (late 2016 onwards) is much sweeter. However, in most other respects, you won't be amazed because they feel so similar (at least my '17 model does).

Always been a fan of the RT, but been enjoying sportsbikes for many years. Just fancy something a bit more relaxing for the type of riding I do now, which is mostly touring.

RBW.

The reason I asked was your comment sounded as if this bike felt smoother than the outgoing 1200. It doesn't feel smoother it feels exactly the same (smooth!).

Here's a few words following my test ride.

So I took the new 1250RT for a bimble with SWMBO riding shotgun. And having just jumped off our 1200RT (2016 iconic), it was good to compare both bikes.

So i engaged 'Dynamic' power mode and we waved bye bye to Steve at Lovetts Motorrad and set off for the Steelhorse Cafe at Abergaveny.
Accelerating on to the M5 on the 1250 I could feel the extra torque and power kick in...nice.

Motorway cruising felt much the same as my 1200, smooth and luxurious, but roll on acceleration in 6th was noticeably better, mmm I'm liking this.
Hitting the twisty Welsh roads, I played with suspension settings and settled on 'road' and 'Low' combo, which gave a smooth Flying carpet ride, perfect for SWMBO on the back.

We tried the Dynamic suspension setting (I kept it in dynamic power mode though), but it felt a bit too sporty for my lady. So back to 'Road' mode it went.

The gearbox and QS/blipper was a bit less clunky than my 1200 and the brakes felt the same as mine.

So in conclusion, I loved the extra torque and power, which was really noticeable riding 2 up.

The new suspension settings also worked well and was more tuneable than mine. Other than that, not much else has changed from my 1200RT ( one small tweek I liked though, was the ability to have the Aux lights on without having the headlight low beam on).

Would i trade my 1200RT for the new kid?.... Er, no, only because i'd loose too much money in to swap.

To avoid the first gear clunk use the hill start brake assist.

Stop and into neutral apply hill start assist into first pull front brake hard to disengage the hill start brake.

Works for me

Here's a few words following my test ride.

So I took the new 1250RT for a bimble with SWMBO riding shotgun. And having just jumped off our 1200RT (2016 iconic), it was good to compare both bikes.

So i engaged 'Dynamic' power mode and we waved bye bye to Steve at Lovetts Motorrad and set off for the Steelhorse Cafe at Abergaveny.
Accelerating on to the M5 on the 1250 I could feel the extra torque and power kick in...nice.

Motorway cruising felt much the same as my 1200, smooth and luxurious, but roll on acceleration in 6th was noticeably better, mmm I'm liking this.
Hitting the twisty Welsh roads, I played with suspension settings and settled on 'road' and 'Low' combo, which gave a smooth Flying carpet ride, perfect for SWMBO on the back.

We tried the Dynamic suspension setting (I kept it in dynamic power mode though), but it felt a bit too sporty for my lady. So back to 'Road' mode it went.

The gearbox and QS/blipper was a bit less clunky than my 1200 and the brakes felt the same as mine.

So in conclusion, I loved the extra torque and power, which was really noticeable riding 2 up.

The new suspension settings also worked well and was more tuneable than mine. Other than that, not much else has changed from my 1200RT ( one small tweek I liked though, was the ability to have the Aux lights on without having the headlight low beam on).

Would i trade my 1200RT for the new kid?.... Er, no, only because i'd loose too much money in to swap.

PHEW ! glad to read that last line you put about Not trading in. I rode the 2018 RT 1200 and 2019 RT1250 back to back. as you say the torque is noticeably different. I bet it is of better use when carrying Pillion,but i dont to do that. I am not sure anyone with an RT1200 LC would benefit by huge amounts by trading up to the 1250 . I would be inclined to wait abit longer. The whole 1250 bike looks more or less exactly the same as the 1200. Had BMW changed some of the styling ,added a TFT ,etc etc ,I think they would sold more. BUT.....I am sure this will be phase 2 of the 1250 chapter in the very near future......which will be the time to trade up then

I think they will sell plenty, the same as they sold plenty of 2017 and 2018 bikes.

Test ride report (brief) : Just back from 90 mile run ... start with the good news ... high up power noticable ... and very nice .... (change between cam profiles - not noticeable) ... and that's it.

Low down power and drivability .... no better , in fact marginally worse. Is this down to miles (24K vs 0.4K ) ? , or down to comparing a ? Euro 4 2015 model with it - rather than a Euro 5 2017 model ?? (which I heard was not as nice as the older one ) ??

Anyway ... no desire to change , didn't even ask as I thought I would be doing.

All else - ride , handling , brakes .... seemed to be same .... suspect it is , since little else seemed to have changed.
Money safe for another while !!

Back
Top Bottom