Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy insurance!

Just renewed for my 2013 GS. Including Business use, 5k per year for £104 with Hastings and with £15 cash back from Quidco, less than £90 for the year. Just hope I don't need to call on their services if previous threads are correct

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I've been with BMW for over 10 years, and have been happy with them.
    Last year, when my renewal quote came through, for a 2014 GSA, it had gone up from about £180 to £240, I went to their website and did an online quote and it came in at just over £180. I rang them up to see what they had to say, we reduced the bike valuation to a realistic figure, and they renewed for just over £180.

Renewal is due again on Saturday, received the renewal quote by email, over £240, not too bad I thought. However, I am changing my bike tomorrow for a new GSA, so phoned them and asked for a quote, over £800!
    This will be my fourth new GS (one GS followed by three GSAs) in ten years, I've never yet been asked to pay an excessive amount extra whenever I've changed bikes, until now. Needless to say, after being a customer of BMW Motorrad Insurance for 12 years, I will not be any longer after tomorrow.

So on to the price comparison sites, in the past I've always had loads of quotes well under £300, with several of these being less than £200. Not this time, only Bennetts and MCE came in under £300, and both were over £200, though if I opted to pay an extra £50 excess liability with Bennetts, making it £225 excess, then it went down to just under £200. In the end I went to IAM Surety, who bettered Bennetts quote when legal and helmet/clothing insurance was added.

Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Nothing odd at all. Loss ratios (premiums in vs claims out) are shite. Supply and demand. Prices are going up. It’s not personal. They’ll come down again, sometime.
    Two factors I guess in my case (1) lots of insurance claims all round in the las year so they need to claw back the losses from everyone (2) Brand new Bike excuse.

If I had kept the 2013 bike the automatic renewal premium was virtually the same.

Definitely worth putting a call in to Bemoto
    www.bemoto.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dogs welcome

That should be
    www.bemoto.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dogs welcome

I've been with Hastings 9 years now, 1 claim paid out in full and quickly. Mines £30 cheaper than last year @ £300 for two bikes, must check on the commuting point though, i do ask for it but it is never on the renewal

I was with BMW through Devitt last year after a hasty change with the PCP, is it or isn't it insured. ( Apparently now its sorted and treated like HP) anyway , changed bike from 2016 GS to 2017 GSA ( 18 model) and its gone from
    £570 ( two bikes 2009 Harley Roadking) to £890 !!!!! With full NCD Garaged and that was with £600 Excess on BM and £200 and Harley. ! Crazy. Spoke to a number of companies all about £700 +. Bennetts were very helpful and spoke to a guy there who handled custom and bespoke policies and he told me that the Harley was no problem despite loads of mods and £12000 value, that was £225 with no no claims discount on it. The BMW using full NCD and milage/garage stipulation was over £500 on its own. He explained that its value of £17000 + mean't there were only a few underwriters that he could use and its a very stolen motorcycle and of high risk. He suggested I would struggle to get any cover in London area at all, fortunately I don't live there. Anyway I ended up with Harley Davidson insurance ,a branch of Carole Nash for £597 with good cover and min excess. Carole Nash themselves wanted £900. Its nuts I've never had a claim and get 75% NCD, without it ...well. BMW may find that Insurance will become an increasing issue impacting on sales if it gets much worse.

Oh yes couldn't get Hastings to answer the phone despite waiting twice for nearly 20 min so gave up there.

For my sins, I looked at moving bikes to the new Honda Goldwing... £29,600... so rang a few companies for insurance quotes. Only one would even look at the bike, and they would not even consider if the mile over 6000 miles per year.

Sticking with my GS.

My experience when trying to insure my bikes is many underwriters don't want to cover bikes valued at over 15k. My 2015 GS was under that threshold and the comparison sites came back with quotes from under £200 with at the time no ncb. Add on the vario luggage and because the value then jumped to over 15k the prices rocketed. Due to the increase in cost and theft we're all paying for the pleasure

Well my insurance is up this month. 1 Year on from buying my 17 reg Triple Black GSA

Last year my insurance premium was £ 425

This years auto renewal premium had gone up to £ 537

So I shopped around on Confused.com and the cheapest quotation was £ 210 (for one off payment) which I accepted

Fully Comprehensive, Bike Valued at £16,500 and 10999 miles per year SDP Use, 6 Years NCB, Protected NCB, Pillion Cover, Breakdown Cover, ride other peoples bikes etc..

The ONLY major thing that has changed, is I just turned 50 years old

Also, the other thing I noticed was ALL THE QUOTATIONS HAD MASSIVE COMPULSORY EXCESS APPLIED. So something is definitely up.

Every quote wanted £1000+ for Excess Payment.

Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    A motorised bicycle from BMW is £17k now.... but premiums havent changed much in 30 years in comparison.
    Too true. I remember paying £364 in 1980 for insurance on my BMW R65.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

The proof of a good insurance company is when it is time to claim.

I stick with BMW insurance via - whoever - why

Wrecked a bike on a Sunday
    Phoned insurance on a Monday
    Bike picked up on Tuesday
    Assessed Wednesday
    Cheque in post for full amount on Thursday

Whataboutyee. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by G&T View Post
    I’ve just been dealing with Bennets and it seems their choice of underwriters is greatly reduced when the value of the bike goes over 17k. The point being when renewal is due ensure to correctly revalue your bike to improve your premium. I wonder how many people are on auto renewal at the same value.
    It is best being realistic with value of bike as insurance will only pay out book price not retail value , the swines. Heard on radio today . So is it worth paying extra on your estimation price of your bike ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmgsrider View Post
    It is best being realistic with value of bike as insurance will only pay out book price not retail value , the swines. Heard on radio today . So is it worth paying extra on your estimation price of your bike ?
    If it is a new bike I think you'll find you need to put the invoice price down as the bikes value, especially if the policy provides for a new replacement if it suffers from a total loss in the first 6 to 12 months from new.

For the last week or so, ive been getting insurance emails in my inbox

Dear Mr xxxx your insurance is due,

fully comp £90 yada yada

The offical renewal came in today £263.50 - a 39% increase

They can feck right off!

Just done a quick online looksee i can get FC with BMW for £100 less , and there not the cheapest by a long shot!

Why do they do it ....????

Piss boiling now! just re quoted as a new customer £134 FC

Wapping has just bought a flash car.................

Just sayin’
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast