Refinishing RT Pannier Lids

byron

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Over the past two years I have laid down the RT twice in difficult situations. Once after exiting the Santander ferry in the docks , and secondly last year on a farm track near Vila Real . The scratching wasn’t that bad to the right hand pannier but I would like to have replaced it with a new BMW part. Unfortunately it was roundabout £240 for the black bit of the door. I then spotted a video on YouTube of spray shop in the north using plastic paints to refinish black textured car parts, one thing led to another and I found this aerosol on eBay. The photographs show the pannier lid separated from the main box, sanded with 300 grade and dry and then filled with an epoxy resin. I did this a couple of times and finished with an 800 great The photographs show the pannier lid separated from the main box, sanded with 300 grade wet and dry and then filled with a little more epoxy resin. I did this a couple of times and finished with an 800 grade. Prior to spraying it looked poor , however two coats of the textured plastic spray gave an amazing finish which is been very robust and early trials And all for about £20
I recognise that my panniers were not badly damaged due to the fact it was just to tipped over and I have got crash bars on the front of the bike . However I am really pleased with this amazing product. The texture is almost indistinguishable. For a total of £20 I am so pleased. Give it a try Guys!! :thumby:

Thanks for the info and the confidence to give it a go myself.
Could you please post the website where you obtained the paint and filler.
Many Thanks.

Byron is meticulous in his work, if he says it turned out a good job you can be sure it was.

I was there when the bike fell over in the docks in Santander. It may not have been his first words but I distinctly remember "Don't tell the wife" as we helped lift it up.

Very good job there, a £20 fix to sort something that probably would have annoyed the hell out of you if hadn't have done it... well an absolute bargain!

Thanks for the info and the confidence to give it a go myself.
Could you please post the website where you obtained the paint and filler.
Many Thanks.

This really is a very easy job to do and both of the items are available on Ebay.
Techni Q is a black coloured 2 part epoxy resin , but any colour resin would be fine as you will spray over the top.The K2 bumper paint should be very easy to find with a search on both Ebay and Amazon. To me the key is very careful filling and equally careful sanding with very fine grade wet and dry. Good luck, it is very straight forward with amazing results

Back
Top Bottom