2002 1150gs ABS lights again

markyt

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So my ABS lights are playing up again. I've tried the reset by putting a wire to earth from the blue/brown wire but whilst it resets when i pull away the lights still defer to showing the flashing alternatively (top and bottom).
The brakes still appear to work fine when i ride so my two questions if anyone knows would be:
1, is there any other way to reset the ABS lights
2. my MOT is in a couple of weeks so will it fail with the abs lights flashing alternatively cos the brakes still work or if i remove the blue relay will that extinguish the ABS light and allow the brakes to work as they seem to now anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated. cheers

Several easy things to check; is the hand guard fouling the brake lever and stopping it resetting ? Is the rear brake bulb functioning on two elements rather than just one ? What condition is the battery in ? A tired battery can confuse the system.

When you reset the abs and then set off riding, does it prime itself (technical term for the 'kerdunk' sound)? Mine is currently in the same state, but I suspect my rear sensor is U/S.

If you turn ignition off and restart, does your abs warning extinguish?. Then shortly after setting off does it come on?
If thats the case, do it again and avoid touching brakes, then when you touch brakes does it come on?
If so then it may be the brake light bulb either elemnt has gone or quite likely dirty contacts in the bulb holder.

I get this every so often and usually its dirty contacts stopping the brake light from working.

If your battery is weak the self check can also fail then the system will flash warnings.
These fixes are cheap to check and certainly the first thing Id eliminate before going further.

2002 should be non-servo. The rear bulb won't affect the abs lights.
Remove the bulbs for the mot.

Thanks for the replies just to clarify if i reset the ABS the lights flash as they should. When I set off I dont get the kerdunk noise but when i reach the speed that should normally happen the ABS lights just move from the normal both flashing at the same time as they should to the bulbs flashing alternately. The battery is new and the brake levers are not fouled.

Thanks for the replies just to clarify if i reset the ABS the lights flash as they should. When I set off I dont get the kerdunk noise but when i reach the speed that should normally happen the ABS lights just move from the normal both flashing at the same time as they should to the bulbs flashing alternately. The battery is new and the brake levers are not fouled.

Get the fault codes read, could be a number of things wrong, anything suggested is just guesswork. You have pre-servo and so usually a simple and cheap fix once you find what's wrong, and your brakes aren't affected, unlike the servo/abs system which can be very expensive to repair and the brakes can be almost non existent when it all goes wrong.

My 2002 comes up with alternate flashing ABS lights on first start in the morning, probably 85% of the time. It's an almost new Oddysey battery, and strangely, has only done it since fitting a new (Valeo) starter.
If I turn it off and restart it, it's fine. And remains fine for the rest of the day, no matter how long I leave it parked up.
It's slightly annoying but to be honest I've just about given up worrying about it ....
(I've tried the reset etc.... )

My 1100gs did that as the rubber brake hoses were breaking down internally. Just before the front brake started binding on. It was the similar braking system.

My 2002 comes up with alternate flashing ABS lights on first start in the morning, probably 85% of the time. It's an almost new Oddysey battery, and strangely, has only done it since fitting a new (Valeo) starter.
If I turn it off and restart it, it's fine. And remains fine for the rest of the day, no matter how long I leave it parked up.
It's slightly annoying but to be honest I've just about given up worrying about it ....
(I've tried the reset etc.... )

Turn the ignition on and waits couple of seconds before hitting starter button... If you turn on and hit the starter button straight away the abs maybe checking the battery voltage at the same time, causing it to record a low voltage and shutting the abs off.

Turn the ignition on and waits couple of seconds before hitting starter button... If you turn on and hit the starter button straight away the abs maybe checking the battery voltage at the same time, causing it to record a low voltage and shutting the abs off.

Thanks Steptoe. It was doing it, even with a "pause" before giving it a go. I had put the bike on the Optimate via an auxiliary socket but it made no difference.
I've since left it on charge via the socket by the starter motor, and weirdly (dare I say it) it's not done it since.
I don't understand the logic of that one, but I'm not gonna worry about it too much. Thanks for the help though, it's appreciated

Back
Top Bottom