Oil Level Check light on, sight glass shows half full

Hates_

Reaction score
My last two rides the Oil Level check indicator has come up but when I check the level (when cold, straight after riding and 5 mins after riding) the oil level is bang in the middle. I had removed one of the engine covers recently and then topped up the oil afterwards to replace what came out, but I'm pretty sure it's back to where it should be, considering the level in the sight glass. Any ideas as to what could be the issue or if I may have "done something" when removing and refitting the engine cover?

My last two rides the Oil Level check indicator has come up but when I check the level (when cold, straight after riding and 5 mins after riding) the oil level is bang in the middle. I had removed one of the engine covers recently and then topped up the oil afterwards to replace what came out, but I'm pretty sure it's back to where it should be, considering the level in the sight glass. Any ideas as to what could be the issue or if I may have "done something" when removing and refitting the engine cover?

Hope this helps, maybe you did not top up enough.

Personally, I'd check to see if it's an oil level light or an oil pressure light ... although I could be talking complete bollocks, which isn't unprecedented :rolleyes:

Mine started randomly showing it last month. Once or twice a week. Like yours it was in the middle of the sight glass. Thought it was cold weather gremlins (though only shows well into a journey and then goes away).
I put a dribble of oil in to bring it up to the top third of the sight glass when warm.
Hasn’t shown since.

I had this problem on my last GS. The low oil level warning would come on after about 2 miles from cold and then go out. The oil level when cold was fine, the sensor was fine and it got fixed when they re-booted the software. My conclusion was that when the oil is cold it takes time to drain down into the sump. For this reason, there is some software code that stops the bike from responding to low oil level signals until the engine is fully warm and the oil is draining down to the sump more quickly. This took multiple visits to resolve but the software reboot was a permanent fix. Luckily it was under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom