Security whilst touring

trigg78

Reaction score
Hi All, My finace and I are planning a tour, on my recently acquired GS, to France/Black forest this year and wondering whether a disc lock would be sufficient as I don't really want to carry a big chain around with me. what do you guys use whilst touring ?

A good alarmed disc-lock would be my preference.

you can't move the bike without it screeching.

Some people go further, but I think the disc-lock for hours away from the bike/overnight is a sensible level of security

I use a simple disc lock, but we try to find hotels with secure parking, or park as close to reception as possible

Hi All, My finace and I are planning a tour, on my recently acquired GS, to France/Black forest this year and wondering whether a disc lock would be sufficient as I don't really want to carry a big chain around with me. what do you guys use whilst touring ?
I take a disk lock and a 'U' lock for the bike. I put a 'Pack-Safe' mesh over my bag on the rear rack and secure it to the bike frame; this is more for when I stop at a motorway service to eat or overnight at a hotel, whilst travelling. And I have a steel security cable that I use to secure jackets and helmets when I wish to leave them with the bike.
So, someone will be along shortly to say they never lock their bike or helmets etc and have never had a problem. Fair play to them, I say. But, for the sake of 5 minutes to lock up, I have peace of mind that (hopefully!) my stuff will be there when I return. Never had a problem so far.
And yes, if someone wants to steal your stuff that badly, then they'll steal it whatever precautions you take.
So my advice is: be sensible, take what level of precautions you feel comfortable with, and above all have a great time

Must admit done quite a bit of touring and never bothered , never wanted to carry a large chain and always never liked disc locks since having a disc damaged by a good Samaritan
moving my bike so a van did not knock it over , however did purchased a disc lock with an alarm built in and a good hi viz cable warning lock fitted.

A good alarmed disc-lock would be my preference.

you can't move the bike without it screeching.

Some people go further, but I think the disc-lock for hours away from the bike/overnight is a sensible level of security

Do you ever get any fales alarm problems with these ?

Only if you attempt to move the bike but forgot to remove the lock, but otherwise they are pretty reliable nowadays - especially if you get a good quality one.

I never lock my bike and helmet and have never had a problem.........:D

However as a side note I had a Landrover Defender stolen and it was in a locked shed at home......Right next to my house and big dog etc.

I've just booked a European trip in May and because I'll be in more heavily populated 'eastern' areas I'm considering an alarmed disc lock and I'll take my tankbag with me if I leave the bike so it and the panniers will be locked which should be good enough for any insurance claim if my bike was nicked.

FP.

If paranoid go for two disc locks on the front wheel. One on each disc - Abus or better. Can’t bring chain and pillion as good enough chain won’t be ok anywhere apart from pillion seat where your partner will be sat. Could bring a cover if you really want to.

I have an Abus Granite disc lock under the seat and I have two of these , one long and one short. They are very light to carry and make its easy to secure the bike to either my mates bike or something solid . They are also great for threading through the sleeves of your jacket/s and leaving them on the bike whilst you go for a wander .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite...d=1520889572&sr=8-5&keywords=kryptonite+cable

In France - Major security - Disc lock, Abus Ulock AND a shared chain to lock the bikes together, used all the time. Disc lock goes on if the bike is left for 5 mins in France. Germany = disc lock only. Black Forest; leave the keys in....

Never used more than a simple disc lock when abroad two up for the last 6 years or so - big chains are a pain -although when touring solo with my bikermate from Scotland I take a chain to lock the bikes together and he takes two disc locks.

Question:

...I (am) planning a tour... (will) a disc lock... be sufficient... don't... want to carry a big chain...

Answer:

... take what level of precautions you feel comfortable with...

... always adding a pound of butter to the fridge.

PS Start a fresh thread to enquire about removing your panniers at night

What's a "finace"?

I do take a chain, either on pillion dear or with a pillion - it goes in a pannier

No hassle really - sometimes it has come in handy when parking on a street overnight

Some trips I haven't used it when using hotels with a garage

If the hotel has a garage-use it and keeps the bike dry too

For what it’s worth, I take an Abus Tresor cable lock, or something pretty similar

Why?

1. It’s easy to carry, it’ll go into a tank bag, pannier or top box

2. I can cable the bike to something (or another bike) if I feel like it

3. It’s easy to use, having no key to lose. Being easy to use, means that I do use it. If something is difficult to use, the chances are you won’t use it when you maybe should, because you can’t be arsed

Just as useful is:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Abus-Combi...EqSm3SpCsJ_bSu8bcp-qNXsr7y4gQxVRoCtswQAvD_BwE

Again, very easy to use, so it gets used. Again, no key to lose.

Cable your helmets to the bike. Run the cable down the arm of a jacket or two

Disc lock.
And a curly-wurly cycle lock for helmets and jackets when we are sight-seeing etc.

Been touring here for 20 years and never used anything

I do choose Hotels and BnBs with secure/private parking

Abus retractable cable lock for the jackets if the panniers are full, Lids always in the top box

Back
Top Bottom