Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Security whilst touring

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    leaving the bike unattended on a petrol station forecourt for 30 seconds in the UK is more worrying than leaving it for an hour or more in the middle of most French towns.

Hi guys, sorry to disagree with all but prevention is better cure, think of the consequences of a theft, Bike gone maybe some gear etc, take that chain and the disk lock, better than the long walk home ��������

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W View Post

And if you're taking a chain, do take a chain. Any set of bolt croppers will go through armoured cables in seconds. They may not take much longer to go through a thin chain (maybe a minute or two), but a big set of bolt croppers will make mincemeat of even thick cable. ................
    My experience does not bear that out.

The cable I use (which I linked to above) has jaw marks on it from two separate attempts on it from croppers. Braided steel cable collapses and moves under the jaws of cutters and is well know to be very hard to cut as a result. Obviously nothing is gonna resist decent tools and as ever it's about deterrence but on a convenience v absolute security give me a heavy duty cable over a chain any day.

Andres
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    One of the five imbeciles of the vainglorious big swinging dick types of the Harley section

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    My experience does not bear that out.

The cable I use (which I linked to above) has jaw marks on it from two separate attempts on it from croppers.

Andres
    That's what happens when you have a desirable Tomos

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    This is the actual one I use but, TBH, there is loads of choice out there LINKY

Andres
    Excellent - many thanks Andres.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post

Just as useful is:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Abus-Combif...RoCtswQAvD_BwE

Again, very easy to use, so it gets used. Again, no key to lose.

Cable your helmets to the bike. Run the cable down the arm of a jacket or two
    Yup , use something that's pretty much the same.
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Yup , use something that's pretty much the same.
    Me too, the 4 digit model

All good advice from Simon , but this is a tip I always follow having seen how a set of bolt croppers rested in the ground can allow the user to put all his body weight into cropping the chain .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W View Post

When chaining the bike up, it's important not to leave the chain or lock lying on the floor, where it can be smashed with a big hammer. Ideally you'll chain it to a solid object (a fence post or lamppost) so it's suspended. If there's nothing to chain it to, try to loop the chain up around footrest hangers over the tail in such a way that it can't be freed and dropped to the floor without unlocking it.
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH8kD3Dp9to

Skip to 2 mins in and tell me a cable is better than a chain.....

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyZZR View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH8kD3Dp9to

Skip to 2 mins in and tell me a cable is better than a chain.....
    A cable is better than a chain

Who said a cable was better than a chain

I can find you any number of YouTube vids showing a chain being cut through in under the 3 minutes it took the guy to nibble through the cable. What would that prove

I use chains in the workshop but this thread is about the most convenient method of security when on the road.

What I did say was that I have had two instances of attempted theft of bikes out on the street and both times the cable defeated the thieves. I still use the same cable.

For 'me' a cable is better 'cos it's more compact, lighter, plastic coated so doesn't damage your bike and with the U lock I use I pass the lock through the front wheel/forks and attach the cable to it. The other end is looped through itself which gives me approx 2m to wrap around a lamp post/ other bike/whatever.

A very visible deterrent and for me more convenient than a chain.

Andres
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    One of the five imbeciles of the vainglorious big swinging dick types of the Harley section

I think any thief armed with the right tools will get through most security in a matter of seconds. Pretty much anything will defeat a casual opportunist thief though who isn't armed with any tools.

Although this vid is aimed at cycle security it shows how quick a cable can be snipped.

For me, I'd go on the basis that while on tour anything convenient that you'll remember to use has to be better than nowt.

A thick cable might defeat small croppers and a weedy thief - and if you keep it off the floor, that does make it harder to crop – but I've tested these things and I promise you that with a good set of 42in croppers, with the jaws on the floor, it takes a 16+stone lump of me next to no time to go through 12mm cable: just put all my weight on the top handle aaaannnndddddd.... it's through. Not hot knife through butter, perhaps, but relentless, unstoppable and far too easy.

It has to be said that the big croppers will cut through a small chain pretty much as easily as a cable, but for me the big thing is that cropping a cable is really, really quiet. You can smash chains or angle-grind them, but that makes a lot of noise and should attract attention. But you could be 10ft from a cable being cut and not hear a thing.

The other thing is that good bolt croppers are really expensive. If you have a tough-looking chain, some thieves may not want to risk damaging them by taking it on. But a cable won't dent the cutting face or warp the croppers. To be fair, the kind of chains capable of doing that tend to be too big for travel use - the big 16mm or larger heavyweight jobs from the likes of Pragmasys and Almax. But there's no danger of a cable damaging a £250 set of croppers, so it's always worth a thief having a go.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Thanks all for the great input, After giving this more consideration I've decided to ask my other half if she'd mind packing less stuff so that we could fit a small pit bull in the top box

My two penneth worth, carry a decent U Lock and use it, on the continent in 99% of the places and times you stop your bike and kit will be fine , but is it worth the holiday being monumentally f*cked up by the theft of your bike.

Use commonsense and if a hotel is in a town or city centre try and pick one that has a secure garage .

I've dealt with stolen motorbikes belonging to foreign tourists in the UK and it is an utter pain in the arse to sort out if they are eventually recovered and will be no different if your bike is nicked by some little scrote in a foreign country.

Imagine what your insurance company will require in order to pay out ie copies of crime reports , statements and if it is recovered will it ever get back to the Uk

Jeez, if you lot are so paranoid about your awesome steed being nicked in the badlands of France or Switzerland, your best bet is to stay at home.
    There can only be 11 and I'm one.

My pics

Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    Quote Originally Posted by stolzy View Post
    Jeez, if you lot are so paranoid about your awesome steed being nicked in the badlands of France or Switzerland, your best bet is to stay at home.
    He’s right you know, it’s actually quite safe over here really

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast