Crash bars

Slime Bomb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know where to buy these add on crash bars from (bottom bit)? Picture is from a 'Gazzabart' on here.

Attachments

• DSCN2988.jpg
    DSCN2988.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 514
I'm starting to think that crash bars aren't the way forward. I started reading some posts of Bendy toys among others on the subject, it seems 'Machine art X heads' is the way to go. Bloody expensive though!

Just fit some crash bars, Bendy's bike is assembled from Meccano off-cuts.

I'm starting to think that crash bars aren't the way forward. I started reading some posts of Bendy toys among others on the subject, it seems 'Machine art X heads' is the way to go. Bloody expensive though!

I got mine used. But for what they are they are silly money.

Crash bars as illustrated were fitted to brothers bike. The flat plate (that bolts to the crank case) was showing signs of rust on an otherwise pampered bike. When taken off there was a deep gouge in the lower crash bar frames. He sold them and has not looked back.

I personally think the cylinders provide the biggest crash bungs ever with impact loads going into by far the strongest part of the bike.
All it needs is a means of cheaply protecting the rocker covers without putting crash loads into the cylinder head. The fiddly little M6 threaded lugs on the head are a certain route to expensive damage. X-Heads are IMO, the best of a bad lot but guess what they mount onto?

I've bitten the bullet and gone for it. They do get good reviews but like you say Bendy, "guess what they mount onto" only time will tell and all that. Someone on here said that the BMW off road school in Wales don't use crash bars, just cylinder head guards...

I believe those in the picture are by ADV designs... from the US... Not available any more

My GSA came with a pair

You can just about see them on the yellow one :thumb2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 341
I believe those in the picture are by ADV designs... from the US... Not available any more

My GSA came with a pair

You can just about see them on the yellow one :thumb2

They look handy to put your feet on during a long journey.

The trouble with magnesium rocker covers is just how brittle they are. It’s a shame BMW could not have saved a few grams elsewhere and used aluminium for the covers.

I stalled my bike on a very steep ride street with a horrible camber to the left. There was no chance of reaching the floor on the left. The rocker cover hit the kerb and cracked. I only had a mile to get home but got covered in oil.
Back then I had Touratech head protectors. As ever they looked ok but didn’t deliver when needed.
That’s not really a moan, the bike had no other damage. Anything else would have been trashed.

This wouldn’t solve my kerbstone problem but I’d like to see a reasonably priced cover that carries a substantial block of nylon or whatever they use to make crash bungs.
The pad would spread impact loads and be cheaply replaced when ground away in a low speed slide.

Wunderlich offer protectors with a rubbing pad but they cost a fortune
https://www.ninetstore.com/protecti...lich,fr,4,WUNDERLICH-PROTECTION-CYLINDRE-.cfm

I use the Heed crash bars similar to what you are looking for they have saved my bike already, a heavy fall & slide in the wet on a french roundabout then bounced up the pavement.

Totalled the crash bar but minimal damage to the bike and absolutely no damage to the engine.

Paint them! use Hammerite BBQ black matt as a base then a coat of Hammerite black smooth as a finish, works a treat make sure you sand the bars with 600 grit wet and dry wipe down with some thinners first before applying any paint.
The matt gives the base black, if you just use the smooth you will end up applying many coats before the original silver colour disappears.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0041WA...=1006454&hvtargid=pla-422069889565&th=1&psc=1

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/lubrica...MItea_wo752QIVxSnTCh2n2AfsEAQYAiABEgJB-PD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom