BMW NAV IV IN EUROPE

The smudger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Whats the scope of NAV IV in Europe? i.e. will it work everywhere? I am planning a trip to Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia, Albania.

How does it perform in all these places? Anyone had any issues in Bosnia/Albania? Also, any tips/experience about using it in these places would be a great help.

It has the latest s/ware on and was updated a month ago.

Ta in advance.

Smudge.

Put in a major town/city in each country as your destination.

When you zoom in on each destination, you'll be able to tell by the map detail if you have all the mapping.

The Nav IV is just a GPS device, it will work anywhere on the planet where it can receive satellite signals. What matters is the maps installed.

1. Load the most up-to-date Garmin maps you can, the areas covered are detailed on the download

2. If you intend to load the whole of Europe, you’ll need an SD card. 8gb should be adequate

3. The detail for developed (Western Europe) is very good, that for Eastern Europe / bits of the Balkans might be more variable

4. As a fallback, load Open Street Maps regional mapsets onto the SD card, too. If you do this, you might need to go up a size, though it may well all fit onto the 8gb card, too

5. Switch between maps on the device at leisure

There are lots of self-help videos and websites on how to do all this and more.

PS Take some decent paper maps, too

Check out the Garmin map coverage for Europe on their website. Albania is major urban areas with intertown roads (their words not mine) and everywhere else you mention has full coverage.

The trick, if there is one, would be to buy a decent paper map of say, Albania, sufficient to meet your purposes. Then zoom in on your GPS map of the same area. If you can see the same roads / tracks / towns and villages, you’ll know how detailed it is. If you can’t see them, you’ll know too.

In truth though, how detailed do you need the GPS maps to be?

Back
Top Bottom