Just a bit of a moan - and great to see the bikers coming back!

oxforshirerider

Reaction score
So, its been another winter of fun here in the UK - with more snow predicted on Sunday.......oh the joys!

I ride all year round for commuting 150 miles a day (75 miles each way) on motorways and back roads. The issue is that no amount of regular cleaning and ACF50 can protect the bike! Washing it down with cold water from a bucket, after your hosepipe freezes, believe me, can get tiresome and frustrating, but try as one might, there is no beating the Salt build-up on our roads if your using the bike everyday.

As a result, my beloved 16'Plate GSA has corrosion rife on it, and paint literally worn off in places, because it is so thin! I realise that bike manufacturers are in the business to make money, but cost saving on paint thickness has to be an odd decision. I am fortunate enough to have the top model of GSA with all the toys, but all the issues I have had with it are down to mechanical failure or corrosion. New engine - tick, new swing arm - tick, new swing arm again - tick, new cylinder heads - tick, new exhaust headers - tick, new exhaust headers again - tick, new pro-shift hardware - tick, new gear selector hardware - tick, new switch gear - tick, new wing mirror - tick.

Now before I continue to moan, ALL of the above has been done under warranty by BMW, so fair play to them. I do however have to get the bike serviced every quarter, so its not a one way street in terms of expense, and I've paid for them happily knowing its my way to and from work and my lifeline to my salary. My most recent service was over £1200 with new brake discs and the rest of the stuff the fails when racking up miles!

My biggest gripe however is how badly protected these adventure bikes are against British weather , or more specifically British transports treatment methods for the weather. Rust shouldn't be appearing on the bike where my boots (covered soft leather & textile clothing) rub the frame......I've never had this on my past Triumph's or Suzuki's - and they were a lot cheaper to buy! Rust and corrosion is taking over and thats with regular maintenance, an ACF50 routine which is bordering on obsessive and cold water washes after rides even though my fingers and body are screaming for me to get into the warm house!

Ok moan over, I am one that does 'just go and ride it' but sometimes its nice to have a moan.

On a more positive point, its great to see all the bikers starting to come back to the roads, I miss you all in the depths of winter, so welcome back. I almost got hit in a head on with two sports bikes on my side of the road around a corner yesterday, I should of been mad as they were being driven dangerously at a very rapid speed, but I avoided them and off they went, leaving me with a grin that they were out there enjoying themselves.......I'm not condoning the driving, but its great to see bikes back out on the roads and the camaraderie of a nod or a wave! Bring on the spring and summer folks!

Ride safe and ignore the moaning muppets like me!

I ride all year round too, excepting snow - only about 12,000 miles p.a. so not as hardcore as you but I have almost zero corrosion.

I lather the bike in FS365 and hand wipe very vulnerable areas with ACF50, and thoroughly wash the bike every week during winter - after washing I dry every nook and cranny with one of those power dyers and then re-apply the anti-corrosion coatings.

It can be hard work doing it sub zero temperatures with the water from the hosepipe instantly freezing on the drive!

I really do wish BMW would make them more corrosion resistant!

So, its been another winter of fun here in the UK - with more snow predicted on Sunday.......oh the joys!

I ride all year round for commuting 150 miles a day (75 miles each way) on motorways and back roads. The issue is that no amount of regular cleaning and ACF50 can protect the bike! Washing it down with cold water from a bucket, after your hosepipe freezes, believe me, can get tiresome and frustrating, but try as one might, there is no beating the Salt build-up on our roads if your using the bike everyday.

As a result, my beloved 16'Plate GSA has corrosion rife on it, and paint literally worn off in places, because it is so thin! I realise that bike manufacturers are in the business to make money, but cost saving on paint thickness has to be an odd decision. I am fortunate enough to have the top model of GSA with all the toys, but all the issues I have had with it are down to mechanical failure or corrosion. New engine - tick, new swing arm - tick, new swing arm again - tick, new cylinder heads - tick, new exhaust headers - tick, new exhaust headers again - tick, new pro-shift hardware - tick, new gear selector hardware - tick, new switch gear - tick, new wing mirror - tick.

Now before I continue to moan, ALL of the above has been done under warranty by BMW, so fair play to them. I do however have to get the bike serviced every quarter, so its not a one way street in terms of expense, and I've paid for them happily knowing its my way to and from work and my lifeline to my salary. My most recent service was over £1200 with new brake discs and the rest of the stuff the fails when racking up miles!

My biggest gripe however is how badly protected these adventure bikes are against British weather , or more specifically British transports treatment methods for the weather. Rust shouldn't be appearing on the bike where my boots (covered soft leather & textile clothing) rub the frame......I've never had this on my past Triumph's or Suzuki's - and they were a lot cheaper to buy! Rust and corrosion is taking over and thats with regular maintenance, an ACF50 routine which is bordering on obsessive and cold water washes after rides even though my fingers and body are screaming for me to get into the warm house!

Ok moan over, I am one that does 'just go and ride it' but sometimes its nice to have a moan.

On a more positive point, its great to see all the bikers starting to come back to the roads, I miss you all in the depths of winter, so welcome back. I almost got hit in a head on with two sports bikes on my side of the road around a corner yesterday, I should of been mad as they were being driven dangerously at a very rapid speed, but I avoided them and off they went, leaving me with a grin that they were out there enjoying themselves.......I'm not condoning the driving, but its great to see bikes back out on the roads and the camaraderie of a nod or a wave! Bring on the spring and summer folks!

Ride safe and ignore the moaning muppets like me!

You not the only one pall.... I am off to my dealer tomorrow for them to see what they can do about my pitted rear disc, final drive, and both wheels. Bearing in mind that my bike was nano coated from very new before I picked it up last March. November - December riding in to work daily has buggered it up. So nano coating is a waste of money, not doing it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You not the only one pall.... I am off to my dealer tomorrow for them to see what they can do about my pitted rear disc, final drive, and both wheels. Bearing in mind that my bike was nano coated from very new before I picked it up last March. November - December riding in to work daily has buggered it up. So nano coating is a waste of money, not doing it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Wankatalk

I bang on about this a lot but, the majority of the corrosion I have seen on WC's comes from poor surface prep and paint application. The corrosion starts, under the paint layer. The corrosion then bubbles then breaks the paint layer.
No amount of 'surface' based protection is gonna stop this happening.

Apart form that the 'nano' coatings are flipping snake oil, you learnt the hard way.

Andres

My biggest gripe however is how badly protected these adventure bikes are against British weather , or more specifically British transports treatment methods for the weather. Rust shouldn't be appearing on the bike where my boots (covered soft leather & textile clothing) rub the frame......

That happened to a mate of mine

He managed 230 miles before the right leg of his Wrangler jeans wore through the paint on the subframe

He rejected the bike and they (BMW) gave him a new one

The new bike (after 4300 miles) has just had the engine rebuilt with new crankcases, heads/barrels & a new final drive all down to corrosion :blast

I bang on about this a lot but, the majority of the corrosion I have seen on WC's comes from poor surface prep and paint application. The corrosion starts, under the paint layer. The corrosion then bubbles then breaks the paint layer.

Apart form that the 'nano' coatings are flipping snake oil, you learnt the hard way.

Andres

I will be in touch with Ian re: nano coat once I know what my dealer willing to do. If I was to buy a new bike again, there is no chance in hell I will be costing it again. Utter waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andres

Bang on the money, Andres. And not just WCs. My 2013 TC GSA, despite being looked after (including "all year biker") and always garaged has corroded from underneath the coatings from the first few months. Wheels (rims and hubs), front cover of course, and various other bits of the engine and frame. Nothing awful, except the front cover, but it will get worse until it's repainted, and just shouts poor quality coatings. It's a great all-rounder and I pretty much ignore the corrosion - it ain't life threatening - and just get on and ride it and look after it but I'll be selling it this Spring/Summer and not going back for another. My 2012 K1300S has none of these problems and neither did my K13GT at 6 years old. I find it quite surprising that more than a few people who've had lots of problems just go back for more.

Meanwhile my 40k miles 2010 RT ridden all year round has none. It's no garage queen either. Surely this can't be commonplace for such expensive premium bikes?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The really annoying thing is come trade in time, any dealer will screw you on the trade in value, if there’s any corrosion on the bike. :blast

Back
Top Bottom