"Alert" and "Won`t Alert" points

Peter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As you will realise I am trying to master Basecamp. I have had reasonable success constructing a number of routes, transferring them into my nav5 and then going for rides on my bike following the instructions. Admittedly one ride was a disaster sending me back and forth between two roundabouts.!!
My questions are .
Apart from the ‘start’ and ‘finish’ points, why does Basecamp suddenly make a few of the other points become ’alerts’, when all the rest are ‘wont alert’, when I have given no instructions for ‘alerts’ to happen?
I know how to change from ’alert’ into ‘wont alert’, am I right to presume this will not have an effect on my programmed route?
Thanks in anticipation for any help, I hope I’m not appearing too much of an idiot!

Its Basecamp, no one knows why except Garmin programmers. :confused:

Don't think it will affect your route, sounds like you seem to have sussed out creating routes and good you tested them out on familiar roads :thumb2

I think (not absolutely sure) that shaping points that coincide with named features - eg a shop, or school, or whatever, are automatically 'alert' points and that 'plain roads' are not announced. Changing 'alert' to 'won't alert' has no effect on the programmed route and I don't think it has an effect if the route gets recalculated as it is being ridden (for example, as a result of a forced deviation).

I thought basecamp set all waypoints and shaping points to “alert” unless told otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for your replies and encouragements so far. Your comments increase my confidence as I have plotted a long and fairly complex route in Bavaria for this coming May.

Thank you for your replies and encouragements so far. Your comments increase my confidence as I have plotted a long and fairly complex route in Bavaria for this coming May.

A few words of advice - don't have the entire journey as a single route, break it down into sections, each with an end waypoint. If you have a single route it will take an age to recalculate and if it all goes wrong you are potentially f****d. Use waypoints at key destinations as they will be in your 'Favourites' and you can always get the device to calculate a route there.

I always export my 'list' of routes from Basecamp as a GPX file and then copy this file onto the SD card of the device. You then import the routes (the method depends on the device). The reaon for doing this is that the original route file remains unchanged on the SD card, so it can be re-imported at any time if this proves necessary. :rob

As you will realise I am trying to master Basecamp. I have had reasonable success constructing a number of routes, transferring them into my nav5 and then going for rides on my bike following the instructions. Admittedly one ride was a disaster sending me back and forth between two roundabouts.!!
My questions are .
Apart from the ‘start’ and ‘finish’ points, why does Basecamp suddenly make a few of the other points become ’alerts’, when all the rest are ‘wont alert’, when I have given no instructions for ‘alerts’ to happen?
I know how to change from ’alert’ into ‘wont alert’, am I right to presume this will not have an effect on my programmed route?
Thanks in anticipation for any help, I hope I’m not appearing too much of an idiot!
The part of the route which took you back and forth between two roundabouts might have been because you put the waypoint on the wrong side of a dual carriageway.

Back
Top Bottom