Fuel Range...Bit of a long shot

kerryoaks

Reaction score
I have recently bought a late 2017 GS Rallye with the new TFT screen. The bike is great apart from a niggle I have regarding the TFT fuel range readout. With the tank filled to the brim it only displays 160 miles range. My attached Nav 5 also displays this. I always use the fuel range when out for a long ride to know when to fill up.

I previously had a 2016 GS and on a full tank would display the fuel range around 225 miles.

I have queried this with the dealer I bought it from after the 600 mile service and they said the bike will adjust to the correct range after doing 1000 miles.

I thought this was a bit of a fob off to be honest but agreed to leave it till I get more miles on it.

Has anyone else noticed this if they have a new GS?

Any replies appreciated!!

Thanks for the reply of the video, much appreciated.

Yes I have activated the fuel bars. They do count down in synchronisation with the milage range (which reports only 160 miles as per my posting). The last ride I did I deliberately wanted to run the tank quite low. The display stated I had 15 miles left in the tank. I didn't go any further until filling up for fear of actually running out of fuel. What I didn't do was set the trip meter to zero before that ride. Something I will do next time.

Thanks for the reply of the video, much appreciated.

Yes I have activated the fuel bars. They do count down in synchronisation with the milage range (which reports only 160 miles as per my posting). The last ride I did I deliberately wanted to run the tank quite low. The display stated I had 15 miles left in the tank. I didn't go any further until filling up for fear of actually running out of fuel. What I didn't do was set the trip meter to zero before that ride. Something I will do next time.

Yep but setting the trip meter should have nothing to do with the fuel range displaying, my bike has only 1000kms and I have not touched the trip meter yet, although it is not a TFT screen and my fuel range shows up fine. 2017 LC, check the next video below, about 5 mins into video, it gives some good info.

Cheers, I think it's a software glitch or something. I mentioned about the possibility of a fuel sensor problem or something like that but there were no errors showing up as part of they're diagnostic. It's frustrating more than anything as it's nice to know how many miles are left when riding.

Cheers, I think it's a software glitch or something. I mentioned about the possibility of a fuel sensor problem or something like that but there were no errors showing up as part of they're diagnostic. It's frustrating more than anything as it's nice to know how many miles are left when riding.

Well it is new, and several people have had to have minor software updates, welcome to being a BMW guinea pig............:beerjug:

This is not me but just found this and it talks about the Fuel range 160 mile

Software version: 001_015_060

Changes noticed (some may have existed before but I didn't notice or perhaps have them):

MPG is now in decimal vs whole numbers
MPG current consumption no longer reported to NAV VI
Fuel range no longer is limited to 161 +- 1 miles, now shows what appears to be 5 gals x avg? mpg
Tire pressure now has decimals
Pro modes (with plug installed) now show in the settings menu and are adjustable
Media - now has a sub menu allowing all kinds of genre choices as well as play lists etc.
Overall Boot is faster
Bluetooth connects faster

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2018-tft-aka-kombi-software-update.1284214/

Not sure this will help but

My XR would only ever read 155 miles as range when i filled it up to brim.
The range would not alter until i had done at least 40 miles and would then start counting down

I used to get almost 200 to the tank

The GS should do roughly the same so check that the range display actually goes down from mile 1 from fill up

Thanks, that's really helpful. Appreciated!!
What's interesting is my Software version is: 001_011_081.
Clearly there have been updates compared to mine. I did question the dealer and they said there's no updates from my version available. Hopefully they will get this update soon.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Appreciated!!
What's interesting is my Software version is: 001_011_081.
Clearly there have been updates compared to mine. I did question the dealer and they said there's no updates from my version available. Hopefully they will get this update soon.

Call them and tell them you are bring the bike back for a full refund, bet they fix it quick.

Smogbob

You've been extremely helpful. Thanks so much. I've got a week off work the end of March will be ringing the dealer about this update!

Thanks again

Smogbob

You've been extremely helpful. Thanks so much. I've got a week off work the end of March will be ringing the dealer about this update!

Thanks again

No sweat hate to see someone not happy with their bike, whatever bike it is.............:beerjug:

Mine does the same, will only read 161 miles max when the tank is brimmed - dealer didn’t want to do a software update on a Saturday because apparently sometimes the update process fails and ‘locks up’ the TFT, they then have to hook the bike up to the computer at BMW Germany , problem is they don’t work on Saturday - DOH!

Mine does the same, will only read 161 miles max when the tank is brimmed - dealer didn’t want to do a software update on a Saturday because apparently sometimes the update process fails and ‘locks up’ the TFT, they then have to hook the bike up to the computer at BMW Germany , problem is they don’t work on Saturday - DOH!

Hmm sounds a bit fishy to me, BMW servers in Germany work 24/7 no manual input

After my update to the latest firmware this week my fuel range still came up as 161 miles with a full tank! Will keep my eye on that me thinks!!!! Maybe it'll settle down :friday

After my update to the latest firmware this week my fuel range still came up as 161 miles with a full tank! Will keep my eye on that me thinks!!!! Maybe it'll settle down :friday

vans might sound obvious but look at my post number 2

Im booked in 23 April for a firmware update. Hopefully this will fix the software bug by limiting the max mileage on full tank to 161 miles.
Will let you know next week how i got on.
Does anyone know the latest firmware version available? Want to make sure i get the latest update.
Cheers Kerry

Back
Top Bottom