Anybody park their bike on a bike lift table regularly?

Roadrash Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Posted here but could go anywhere, due to now using the garage as a gym, and a workshop and a man cave (It’s full to the rafters with all sorts of kit) I only have space down one side of the garage for the bike and the table.

For the last three months the bikes been stood on the table, it was a hell of an effort to lift the chuff onto the centre stand.

Looking for ideas or advice if anyone parks their bike on a table, can’t see me chopping the table into the floor, too much stuff in the garage, and would be a lot of graft and mess.

But pulling the bike on and off the table daily I’m going to drop it trying to get it on the centre stand.

Apart from building a timber shelf next to it to get to the same height as the table (about 5”) I haven’t yet come up with an other solution. (Short arse 30” legs)

Anyone got any experience / solutions? Many thanks Griff

Rather than putting the bike on the centre stand could it lean gently against the wall with some carpet between to stop it scratching?

I keep one of my bikes on my bike lift but it’s only a small Honda MSX 125 and has a side stand.

Not a lot of help,but
I’m a shorty and have to put the big bikes onto mainstands everyday on the lifts,
It really is just practice and confidence,make sure you have enough space not to be tripping over stuff,
Run the bike up stood to the left under power,practice walking the the bike around at idle using the clutch.
Once you have the bike on the lift,put the bike on its stand as you would normally,right foot on stand and hoick,,,
Don’t fuckabout do it in one clean move.

I had a Buell 1125R prior to my GS, given it broke for fun, I had a bike lift / table, parked the Buell & then the GS on it no issue other than an occasional rear tyre spin on riding on / loading. just used to put the side stand down, get off. put on main stand. given the GS never misses a beat, ramp now sold

Thanks guys, should have said the Ramps tight up to shelves on the right hand side of the garage, so if I don’t push the bike on backwards I can’t get at the side or centre stand. Tried wheeling it on with side stand down but not enough room to tip it on to the side stand, it misses the table.

The wheel chock might be worth a go, but it would be onto the back wheel?

Forget the wheel choc for the rear wheel, just get a nice solid pallet that you can lay down next to the table, and once bike is on the table and on the stand, you can stand the pallet up, just an idea.

I have a small stand next to the lift that I stand on to put the bike on the centre stand. About 4 inches tall. Although my lift is in the middle of the garage floor.

Thanks guys, should have said the Ramps tight up to shelves on the right hand side of the garage, so if I don’t push the bike on backwards I can’t get at the side or centre stand. Tried wheeling it on with side stand down but not enough room to tip it on to the side stand, it misses the table.

The wheel chock might be worth a go, but it would be onto the back wheel?

Your garage lay-out sounds a complete bollicks. Pushing a bike backwards up a ramp is asking for trouble. Change the lay-out.

Ride straight in onto the ramp.
Stand down.
Get off.
Simple.
Raise the floor - 6x2" from Wickes with 18mm ply on top is exactly the same height as a Sealey ramp.
Also gives loads of underfloor storage for stuff.

Posted here but could go anywhere, due to now using the garage as a gym, and a workshop and a man cave (It’s full to the rafters with all sorts of kit) I only have space down one side of the garage for the bike and the table.

For the last three months the bikes been stood on the table, it was a hell of an effort to lift the chuff onto the centre stand.

Looking for ideas or advice if anyone parks their bike on a table, can’t see me chopping the table into the floor, too much stuff in the garage, and would be a lot of graft and mess.

But pulling the bike on and off the table daily I’m going to drop it trying to get it on the centre stand.

Apart from building a timber shelf next to it to get to the same height as the table (about 5”) I haven’t yet come up with an other solution. (Short arse 30” legs)

Anyone got any experience / solutions? Many thanks Griff

Timber shelf was my option, couple of decking planks screwed to 4x4” dead simple and cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...due to now using the garage as a gym, and a workshop and a man cave (It’s full to the rafters with all sorts of kit) I only have space...

Your garage lay-out sounds a complete bollicks. Pushing a bike backwards up a ramp is asking for trouble. Change the lay-out.

It's hard not to think Harry hasn't hit the nail on the head. Garages are for storing cars and motorbikes, and they double up for other purposes too. You're using it for 3 other purposes, plus you've filled it to the rafters with kit. I wonder if you're trying to solve the wrong part of the problem?

I used to store a bike on a bike-table, but just ran the front wheel into a wheel-grab, then attach cargo straps for the pegs down to the table sides. No need to get it on the centre stand (that bike didn't have one anyway).

It takes very little to keep the bike upright (unless you are practicing bull-riding on it)

Al

I used to store a bike on a bike-table, but just ran the front wheel into a wheel-grab, then attach cargo straps for the pegs down to the table sides. No need to get it on the centre stand (that bike didn't have one anyway).

It takes very little to keep the bike upright (unless you are practicing bull-riding on it)

Al

Thanks Blackal, just looking at one of those, made by the same guys that make the easy riser, big blue bike lift, not cheap but also doubles up as a chain down point.

https://www.on-bike.com/product/motorcycle-wheel-chock-bikegrab-stand/

Mines on a ramp but I removed the front wheel clamp so I can park at an angle then the side stand fits on to the ramp as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, thanks for the input guys, it’s given me the right solution I think, I can pull the ramp out about another 12” from the wall max, so wooden platform against the wall side of the ramp (coupe of hours work that’s all) and wheel chock bolted to table, should be just enough room to ride it on instead of hand-balling it on backwards, then no need for side stand as wheel chock should hold it, going to get the on bike chock as you can adjust the width for front or rear wheel, then at least when I need to work on it I can turn the bike either way round, but for day to day riding it on will be so much easier. Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom