What size card do I need for my nav6

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m sure that this has been covered, what is an adequate size sd card for my new nav6 I don’t tend to bother with a lot of music, but I don’t want to be marginal size wise. ...32 GB?
Cheers

its been covered quite alot recently, use the search and it will pop up with lots of details the unit will take is 64gb ...but read other posts as what to do with it esp music

Largest Size microSD Card a BMW Navigator V and VI Will Accept

The largest capacity microSD card for use in the BMW Navigator V and VI is a 64 GB card. The microSD must be formatted to FAT32 and the software on the BMW Navigator V or VI must be up-to-date for the card to be recognized.

It is standard practice for microSD card manufacturers to format 64 GB microSD cards to exFAT. A separate memory card reader must be used to format the card to FAT32.

I’m sure that this has been covered, what is an adequate size sd card for my new nav6 I don’t tend to bother with a lot of music, but I don’t want to be marginal size wise. ...32 GB?
Cheers

If you don’t intend to put a lot of anything on it, a small capacity card will do you. All the map updates so far fit onto the device’s internal memory, negating the need for a card at all. In short, you do not need a 64gb card if you only have 5gb of music.

Thanks Wapping, having read some of the notes on here it seems as though the 65gb cards are awkward to install and probably not necessary, so being technically challenged amongst other things, if I just fit a 32 gb into the slot will this sort itself out and be adequate for general maps including Europe, I don’t think that I’ll need a lot of music loaded?

You don't need any card in the nav6 for maps

It has much bigger internal storage over the nav5

The only time you may need it, if you had most of the world on maps that you needed at the same time.

Nav6 has 16gb of internal memory that is plenty for a long time, and if you add the 32gb sdcard into the slot you will be set for life, , just make sure like I said it is formatted to FAT32 otherwise it will not be recognised by the system.

Cheers Smogbob,
I did say that I was technically challenged amongst my many other attributes, how do I format the card, or will the nav prompt me?

Thanks DC,
I’m sure that when I bought a card for my nav5 I just bunged it in and it worked, but thanks for that link, I’ve had a quick look and I presume that I’ll need a holder to secure the micro card while I format it, as the card slots in my PC are for the standard size.
Cheers :beerjug:

Not sure on windows. But on Apple Mac I put the card in the nav, it brings up two icons on the left in finder, the nav and the card. I then format the card while it’s in place ! Done

If the card is maximum 32gb it will normally come as standard formatted FAT32 its only the bigger cards that come formatted standard exFat

If the card is maximum 32gb it will normally come as standard formatted FAT32 its only the bigger cards that come formatted standard exFat

That's helpful, I'll just get a 32 and that will do me.

How does it work, does the nav memory fill up first and then use the card as an overflow or additional memory, or does the device just think it's got a big memory..full stop?

That's helpful, I'll just get a 32 and that will do me.

How does it work, does the nav memory fill up first and then use the card as an overflow or additional memory, or does the device just think it's got a big memory..full stop?

Exactly the NAV6 just uses it as an overflow, and makes the Nav6 think it has massive memory, in simple terms...:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom